• Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

Hi everyone,

I know there are thousands of audiojungle authors who are happy to collaborate with us here on videohive, but I would like to learn a bit more about sound design for video.

Those of you who are making the sounds by themselves, what software do you use?

Can you suggest me some good Sound FX Packs I can use to create audio for resell and is priced reasonably for a beginner? (afaik Designer Sound FX can not be used to sell the generated audio).

I’m always wondering about the license part of this, how much “mixing” is enough to be allowed to resell as new Sound, etc.

Really like to learn that stuff to create stunning audio like d3luxxxe, but never know where to start…

92 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
moviePlankton says

I’m looking forward to know answer too. Nobody ?

256 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
motionpictors says

Count me in,hope someone can answer these questions.

325 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
TimofeyOstanin says

I use Fruity loops 10 (like main program) and a lot of vst instruments and plugins :) If you need more information, write me to email :)

288 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

Hey VideoHivers,

The reality is that no commercial sound effects library or provider will allow you to resell their sounds in whole or in part.

When you purchase a sound effect or SFX library, for instance from a place like Sound-Ideas or SoundDogs, you are buying the rights to synchronise the sounds with moving images in respect to any film, television, internet or other media production you are contracted to provide services to or otherwise involved in.

In their finished, rendered form, your motion graphics templates would certainly fall under “synced” use of the sounds. However, use of sounds in a stock template media project would likely be considered “unsynchronized”, and further be in violation of the standard licensing clause you’ll find regarding reselling/repackaging the sounds in entirety or in part.

Whether or not this type of specific use is expressly permitted or forbidden in the licensing language is most likely due the fact this is a new, niche form of media out there that many sound effects producers may not be aware of. I’ve put in a few emails to commercial and independent SFX providers to see if they have anything specific to add, and I’ll report back. But in general these libraries are intended for you to use to add sounds as part of a finished/rendered video project you’re creating for a client, etc., and not for use in editable stock template products.

With regards to remixing/modifying a copyrighted sound effect to the point where it’s “new” and therefore yours to use as you please, that is a misconception. Doing so would also be in violation of use and copyright, and is never permissible. Some people may feel they can mangle the sound to the point that no one (particularly the owners…) will recognize it and catch the copyright violation, and that’s theirs to risk, but it’s still in violation.

Now, DAW software (and any included audio content), sampler instruments, synths, etc., are a slightly different story. While you again can’t sell/repackage individual sounds and samples on a standalone basis, you can typically use them to create original works of sound/music that you are allowed to distribute/commercialize, provided the original raw samples/effects aren’t exposed on their own, and there’s creative/original intent, etc. Apple Logic for instance comes with a lot of included instruments, synths, as well as some general sound effects. This is great for making interesting logos/stingers, digital effects, etc, but you couldn’t utilize the audio content for, say, lifting a thunder hit or car horn sound into your template for a literal, individual effect. Although if it were all mixed together uniquely with music or other sounds into a single “soundtrack”, I think you could get away with that…

For general sound effects, your best options are to:
  1. Record your own sounds or find someone to record new original sounds for you.
  2. Get permission from the owner of the sounds you want to use.
  3. Search for public domain (or creative commons attribution) sounds from sources like FreeSound.org. There’s some hidden gems in there, and it’d be no skin off your back to attribute the sound’s author if required in your project file notes/documentation.
  4. Extended License sound effects from AudioJungle. Currently the licensing terms allow resale of a sound effect item as part of larger work. Of course author permission certainly doesn’t hurt here either.

Hope this helps!

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
FXRiot says

Sony Sound Forge usually gets me what I want. Sound design is the weirdest damn thing ever, but it can be pretty fun.

1503 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

REASON 5 and Premiere Pro (yeap thats right Premiere pro is amazing for sound design, more than you can imagine)

1683 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

Hey, thanks for your answers.

@TimofeyOstanin

I’d really like to hear more from you about this topic, and I’m sure many other readers of this topic, too. Why not just post it here in the thread? Nevertheless, will drop you an email, too :)

@SchwartzSound

Wow, now that’s a great long answer, thanks for your time.

But I’m still wondering: There are hundreds of audiojungle authors kicking out logo sounds filled with soundfx, they all create them from scratch? So they are sitting in a recording studio and hitting stones together, tearing paper or breaking up some wood to create sound fx?

I honestly doubt that.

Creative Commons Attributions license is great and I’m always willing to give attribution to people who give out something for free. But in terms of soundfx it’s a matter of comfort to me. I’m building a sound library right now. There are thousands of sounds I access over Adobe Bridge and drag into Sony Vegas to create audio for my projects.

There’s a bunch of trial and error, deleting sounds, mixing etc involved, I just don’t have the time to check every sound I’ve used at the end of the day to give attribution. Let’s say that’s 50 samples I’ve used, going to that folder the sample lies in, and finding out the correct attribution text the author wishes just takes too much time to make it profitable.

freesound.org is a really great site, but I’m only using CC0 -licensed stuff to avoid the hassle.

288 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

But I’m still wondering: There are hundreds of audiojungle authors kicking out logo sounds filled with soundfx, they all create them from scratch? So they are sitting in a recording studio and hitting stones together, tearing paper or breaking up some wood to create sound fx?

Hey Creattive,

I checked out some of d3luxxxe’s projects you had mentioned in reference, and see that the audio it seems you’re really talking about are logo sequences, as opposed to raw sound effects. I’ve also had the chance to speak with a few sound effects providers, including Sound-Ideas, to get their expert insight. Let me add some clarifications I think will help:

My initial posting was primarily with respect to including individual sound assets in a template project file. For example as I mentioned, adding in individual sounds for a car horn, or thunder hit, or alarm clock, etc., on your project timeline, where those individual sounds are included as raw assets with the project file, would not be permitted. Anything where the individual sound is included in an unsynchronized, non-fixed, way, that is in any way able to be accessible, modified, or extracted by the end user, would be considered a “repackaging” of the sound files and violates pretty much all sound effects’ EULAs. As a specific example here on VideoHive (I just pulled this project from the popular files page, I’m not trying to single out or incriminate the author in any way), in something like THIS PROJECT, you would not be able to use licensed library sounds of writing/markers in this way and include them in project file as individual, modifiable elements. In the case of this project, I’m assuming the author either recorded his own writing sounds, found some public domain or CC sounds to use (there are lots of writing-type sounds on FreeSound.org), or got specific permisison.

Logos and soundtracks are a different story, and sometimes fall into a bit of a grey area. Using individual sounds in a fixed way, synchronized and mixed/layered with other audio and/or visual elements, as part of a finished product, where the sounds are not individually exposed, accessible, or able to be extracted in their individual form, is typically permissible. So for example using a clip of electricity arcing with some digital glitches over synths and string musical elements and a melody of chimes over top, would constitute a synchronized product that you could sell with your templates. Additionally, in the previously mentioned VideoHive project with the writing sounds, if those writing sounds were mixed in with the music and included as a single soundtrack, that would likely be just fine even they were licensed from a stock library. Obviously, there are limitations to the usefulness of doing so from an end user point of view—should they want to edit the timing of the project or use a different “soundtrack”, they’d have to resource everything themselves.

Let me add a caveat though, particularly concerning shorter audio logos/sounds. There is a bit of a blurry line between creating a synchronized product (allowed) and reselling a modified sound (not allowed). For instance, if I took the sound of a thunder hit, and added a bit of synth chord underneath or simply combined it with a digital glitch, and resold that as a “Super Thunder Effect”, that would very likely be considered the latter and would violate use. Whereas including it as an audio logo with your motion graphics template would be allowed use.

If you’re not sure about your use of a specific sound within an audio logo or soundtrack, it’s simply best to contact the owner of the sound with your specific intended use and see what they have to say. I’m sure they’d be happy to help clarify. If it falls under restricted general use, many companies will be able to provide you a custom license for use of that sound at some extra cost, that may be well worth it.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: I’m not a lawyer or qualified in any way to give legal advice. This information is based on personal experience and discussions with representatives of various sound effects library providers.

176 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
Hikari-Pictures says

By the way can anybody tell me how to create “bricks” in the timeline of VST instrument in GarageBand (Mac) ? I mean how to record piano parts without midi keyboard.

by
by
by
by
by
by