314 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Not to name any specific items but more than one theme has gone up recently and within an hour or so of it going live, there are 6 purchases and a five star rating.

I’ll work on the assumption that the authors have paid friends to purchase and rate the theme 5* as it goes live as I’ve seen themes from elite authors take days before enough people get round to trying out and rating the theme for the ratings to show on the site.

A bit naughty or clever marketing?

3244 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

everybody knows that a lot of authors do this .. nothing new here :D

1210 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

And i guess from legal point of view from envato, its all good since it doesn’t matter who is the buyer… i guess :)

4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Coincidence? Maybe it’s just a good file? Also every Elite author had to start at the bottom, just cos it’s rated high quickly doesn’t necessarily mean it’s something suspicious. Also being rated is luck really, if the buyer decides to rate.

I’d say if there is alot of sales within 1 hr.. and then hardly any sales after that… then maybe that would be a bit odd… BUT if it keeps selling steadily then it’s just a good file that was rated quickly.

3244 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Coincidence? Maybe it’s just a good file? Also every Elite author had to start at the bottom, just cos it’s rated high quickly doesn’t necessarily mean it’s something suspicious. Also being rate is luck really, if the buyer decides to rate. I’d say if there is alot of sales straight off the bat.. and then hardly any sales after that… then maybe that would be a bit odd… BUT if it keeps selling steadily then it’s just a good file that was rated quickly.

1. A file doesn’t get ANY rating only after at least 20 sales from regular buyers .. fact!

2. A popular file will sell better than a not so popular file, so a new file (regular, not great) with many sales will well after that.. only a presumption :)

4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

1. A file doesn’t get ANY rating only after at least 20 sales from regular buyers .. fact!

Fact: the minimum rating is 3 to show the stars…. maybe on average it takes about 20 sales for more than 3 ratings, but again this is all probability.. you can’t rule it out that maybe a new file under 10 sales got lucky with 3 or more ratings and gets the stars to show up early ;)

I think though purchasing your own files through friends or whatever would be a waste of time, so you pay your friends to buy it 10 times, and then what? maybe other buyers will think its a good seller and also purchase.. but it’s not going to have enough momentum to get to 50 sales to make the popular files page…. so in the end would just be a waste of money. It may draw in more attention, and a few more sales, but over time won’t make much of an impact I dont think.

2429 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

Clicked the thread title, as it sounded interesting. Found old news. Nothing to see here, carry on :)

3244 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Fact: the minimum rating is 3 to show the stars…. maybe on average it takes about 20 sales for more than 3 ratings, but again this is all probability.. you can’t rule it out that maybe a new file under 10 sales got lucky with 3 or more ratings and gets the stars to show up early ;)

I still think purchasing your own files would be a waste of time, so you pay your friends to buy it 10 times, and then what? maybe other buyers will think its a good seller.. it’s not going to have enough momentum to get to 50 sales…. so in the end would just be a waste of money.

I don’t want to offend you ds so please don’t take it like that, but you’re new here :)

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

Great estimation there. At least that’s very close to the sales / rating ratio for myself.
4356 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I don’t want to offend you ds so please don’t take it like that, but you’re new here :)

Wasn’t offended haha, I know the drill from ActiveDen, it’s not like it works differently on TF.. I’ve seen ratings pop up very quickly over the years on AD… getting sales, getting ratings – it’s sometimes just luck, so we can’t really speculate and say its something else dubious.

by
by
by
by
by
by