1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

There is something really funny about the whole crying.

If a “bad” buyer rates an item 1 star and that really affects the overall item rating, the only ones who would care are the same type of buyers (“why is your file low rated, make me a free modification, find me a wife/husband or you’re not a real author and I will 1-star rate you”).

The reality is, if you like what you buy and there are constructive/positive comments about the item, you will buy the damn file. Everything else is ego issues with the author (mine is 5-star, yours is smaller).

2217 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says
doru said
crozer said
For the ratings to become visible, an item needs at least 3 ratings. That said, you have a bunch of “invisible” ratings that affect your total rating. Do this: count your total ratings, and compare to those you can see.
well is stupid. If I can’t see the stars on items why they should be visible on my profile?

Ah no, it’s not stupid. The fact that a minimum of 3 ratings is required for these to become visible on any item, is absolutely great. Your profile always displays a collection/summary of your global statistics – be it followers, rating, items, etc; so it is ideal that your complete ratings get displayed.

Your profile displays 4 ratings, even though you have more 5-rated items in your portfolio (visible) – so then again, this is not your true rating.

5998 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says
cmt said
There is something really funny about the whole crying.

If a “bad” buyer rates an item 1 star and that really affects the overall item rating, the only ones who would care are the same type of buyers (“why is your file low rated, make me a free modification, find me a wife/husband or you’re not a real author and I will 1-star rate you”).

The reality is, if you like what you buy and there are constructive/positive comments about the item, you will buy the damn file. Everything else is ego issues with the author (mine is 5-star, yours is smaller).

Lower ratings are not actually an issue of comparison. A 4 star is globally understood as something lacking regardless of how similar products rated. If majority of files have 4* then NEW buyers may just ignore viewing the preview itself. We can’t expect them to go through each and every low rated file to check how good / bad it is. Such danger exists for the marketplaces that has heavy competition of free resources outside.

cmt, your reasoning also valid. That’s why a system like this can make things clean. With such system authors may not worry too much about low rating, even mistaken ratings:

\\

However it looks like Envato wants keeping the authors afraid about ratings rather than showing exactly how a file performs.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says
cmt said
Everything else is ego issues with the author (mine is 5-star, yours is smaller).
this is not a kindergarten, we couldn’t care less about comparing each other ratings
we’re only concerned about sales, any author stating the two not being related could just ask envato to 3 stars rate all his own items to proove we’re wrong
1128 posts
  • Located in Switzerland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
SonicCube says

Sorry to say

but as you can see, not many people from AJ even joined this thread. Why ? Because for AJ authors it’s an absolute useless and unfair tool. What you hear ( in the preview ) is what you get. There are no fancy codes or tool implemented in audiofiles, so why should someone rate about the usage of a file ? IF a buyer rates, then it’s mostly about taste, and this is useless.

Just my thoughts about the rating system for audiofiles.

7420 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says
crozer said
Ah no, it’s not stupid. The fact that a minimum of 3 ratings is required for these to become visible on any item, is absolutely great. Your profile always displays a collection/summary of your global statistics – be it followers, rating, items, etc; so it is ideal that your complete ratings get displayed. Your profile displays 4 ratings, even though you have more 5-rated items in your portfolio (visible) – so then again, this is not your true rating.

Oh yes is stupid.

there is absolutely no reason why, as an author, I can’t see the ratings on my item if there is only one or two votes available. Those ratings should be visible to me and why not to everybody.

“Is absolutely great” you say. Please explain the advantages of hidden ratings.

Now I can vote, change my mind and vote again. But what if I want to retire my vote? To cancel my action of rating a particular file I bought?

3435 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
doru said

This is a common practice to avoid one anomalous vote deterring sales. It protects you.

Say your file is worth 5 stars, but your first rating is a 1 for whatever reason. If this rating instantly showed up, it would likely deter other buyers. By not displaying the rating until there are at least 3, it ensures a better approximation of the file’s actual rating value, and not just the opinion of a single customer.

I agree that allowing authors to see these ratings ahead of time would be advantageous – but it’s still a worthwhile trade-off to have this added protection in my opinion.

2217 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
crozer says
doru said

Are you serious? Have you forgotten the billion times we asked Envato to make something for the support system? At that time, they decided to hide the rating of an item if this did not have more than 3 ratings. Why? Because with 3> ratings you will have a much more stable/reasonable rating. Otherwise, if your first buyer got mad because of something stupid and rates your item 1-star, you stay with that rating until another buyer improves it.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says
sevenspark said
doru said

This is a common practice to avoid one anomalous vote deterring sales. It protects you.

Say your file is worth 5 stars, but your first rating is a 1 for whatever reason. If this rating instantly showed up, it would likely deter other buyers. By not displaying the rating until there are at least 3, it ensures a better approximation of the file’s actual rating value, and not just the opinion of a single customer.

I agree that allowing authors to see these ratings ahead of time would be advantageous – but it’s still a worthwhile trade-off to have this added protection in my opinion.

Very well said.

60 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
Greysound says
SonicCube said
Sorry to say

but as you can see, not many people from AJ even joined this thread. Why ? Because for AJ authors it’s an absolute useless and unfair tool. What you hear ( in the preview ) is what you get. There are no fancy codes or tool implemented in audiofiles, so why should someone rate about the usage of a file ? IF a buyer rates, then it’s mostly about taste, and this is useless.

Just my thoughts about the rating system for audiofiles.

Hey SonicCube, I am here, and I wonder if you ever had one of your items rated below 3 stars.. Well it happened to me a couple of times, when there is absolutely no reason! I think you got my point. By the way, I agree it is useless and unfair for us (AJ authors). It was useless and unfair and now it is turning into some harmful and abusive tool.

by
by
by
by
by
by