• Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
Thecodingdude said
I’ve already posted a thread, but it’s got buried (which I am not happy with).

If this is the thread you’re referring too, http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/idea-rating-system-improvements-/51442 , it didn’t get ‘buried’ – Jami moved it to Site Feedback because that’s the category it belongs in. It means that the staff are more likely to see it and consider your suggestions (which I think are good) when they update the system. Otherwise, they’d be less likely to be seen by the right people. :)

7185 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

In all my portfolio I have three items that have the ratings stars visible. Two of them have 5 stars and one have 4 stars.

My profile have 4 stars.

Can someone provide a logical explanation to this? I’m curios.

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
crozer says
doru said
In all my portfolio I have three items that have the ratings stars visible. Two of them have 5 stars and one have 4 stars.

My profile have 4 stars.

For the ratings to become visible, an item needs at least 3 ratings. That said, you have a bunch of “invisible” ratings that affect your total rating. Do this: count your total ratings, and compare to those you can see.

3423 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
doru said

My profile have 4 stars.

Your profile is an average of all ratings, not an average of the average rating for each item.

Simple example:

Item 1: 5 5 star ratings = 25 pts

Item 2: 5 5 star ratings = 25 pts

Item 3: 50 4 star ratings = 200 pts

Total: 250 pts / 60 ratings = 4.167 average = 4 stars overall

Of course, there are many more complicated examples. The five star ratings might be barely 5 stars (say 4.6), or whatnot. There are all sorts of scenarios.

crozer said
For the ratings to become visible, an item needs at least 3 ratings. That said, you have a bunch of “invisible” ratings that affect your total rating. Do this: count your total ratings, and compare to those you can see.

That’s a good point as well.

7185 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says
crozer said

well is stupid. If I can’t see the stars on items why they should be visible on my profile?

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

If we flag an item comment, we must give a reason which get reviewed by a staff member and it’s stated that negative comments won’t be removed unless offensive/abusive

This “improved” rating systems, instead, allows any buyer to unlimitedly change a rating to 1 star anytime without giving reasons or being controlled in any way

The “allow buyers to fix mistakes” feature could have been implemented by a simple popup and a single, time limited change: there were no valid reasons to give unlimited/uncontrolled rating changes unless the purpose of this update was to just create a system that could be easily abused by buyers at the expenses of authors.

So we asked for ages the rating system to be reworked in something better and what we got now is an exploitable feature which was never discussed in forums and the vast majority of authors dislikes.

We’ve been told this is just a step forward and more changes are to come – well, again, there’s no description of what this future improvements will be all about nor an eta for when they will eventually implemented.

As a matter of fact, we must deal with this new system for an undefinite amount of time

7185 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says
wickedpixel said

with what?

438 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
webinpixels says
bitfade said
support is optional but, still, envato is pushing changes that make us slaves of it.

yes, this is so true. After the new rating system added, now I’m afraid to not respond any support email even on weekend!!!

The main problem is support is optional for author BUT you let the buyer able to change their rating however many times they’d like? Are you serious with this? Now, even if a buyer ask me question about how to added “White House” to his site, I must ready for him, in any condition, without any charge!!!

Hey Envato, why not you just update your rules for authors – “Support for item is a must for any author”

bitfade said
So we asked for ages the rating system to be reworked in something better and what we got now is an exploitable feature which was never discussed in forums and the vast majority of authors dislikes.

+1

thanks

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Turkey
Greysound says

Another incredibly terrible idea and development by Envato.

It is a well known fact that rating system was bad. But thanks to you guys, now it is just getting worse. Maybe even the worst state it can possibly get.

Seriousy, for how long have you guys been thinking to come up with such development?!

Or, do you really see this as a fix for the previous rating system?

I read the whole thread so I understand this is a temporary fix but I still agree with negative comments.

By the way, everytime I am getting amazed to see how a certain majority of authors are completely happy with everyhing you guys do! Maybe this is gives you enough confidence to come up with such incredibly indigested ideas. I am afraid, I don’t know.

by
by
by
by
by
by