1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

I’d like to note some thoughts about the whole rating system.

The rating is unclear

Some think that one star is the maximum rating. Put some damn smiles, like in the kindergarten so even a chimp understands what’s going on.

Revoting the same file is wrong

Imagine what a crazy buyer might do with such a function. He might threaten the author and ask him even to be ass raped just for getting a high rating.

What buyers and author are expecting

The correct way to enable revote is when an update happens and there are new features and improvements which take place and the rating deserves to be improved too.

This approach should motivate both buyers and authors.

2071 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

+1 flashedge

499 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says
flashedge said
I’d like to note some thoughts about the whole rating system.

The rating is unclear

Some think that one star is the maximum rating. Put some damn smiles, like in the kindergarten so even a chimp understands what’s going on.

Revoting the same file is wrong

Imagine what a crazy buyer might do with such a function. He might threaten the author and ask him even to be ass raped just for getting a high rating.

What buyers and author are expecting

The correct way to enable revote is when an update happens and there are new features and improvements which take place and the rating deserves to be improved too. This approach should motivate both buyers and authors.

+1 but without the raping part :)

They need to be able to help streamline updates in order to have them re-vote on it.

2241 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says
MarkBrodhuber said
crozer said
But, but.. Mark, what is so bad/complex/disadvantageous/horrible/perplex of a simple pop-up? I cannot wrap my head around that. Would it hit the performance of the site hard? Is it because you do not wish to work on user-friendly/UX areas? Please, at least provide us with an explanation!
Chris :(

I don’t have concrete numbers on what percentage of buyers actually take the time to rate their purchases, but from my experience it’s pretty low. So I don’t really think adding a popup requiring additional clicks will improve UXx. I do agree that it would prevent accidental ratings, but then again the new system does this just as easily. I’ve only ever witnessed a handful of “accidental” low ratings. What happens much more often is intentional low ratings due to some misunderstanding. Later on, an issue is fixed or better explained to the buyer and they want to increase their rating.

Now in the case of the popup, yes it may help solve the accidental rating problem. But it wont solve my second point. And I can safely say that the second point happens 4 – 5 times for every 1 time an accidental rating happens, at least in my experience.

This new change covers both instances, where as the popup warning only covers the one that happens far less.xx

Fair enough, but please understand that we are relying on your words now. As authors, we do not have precise statistics of what types of tickets you receive the most. Further, you have a very positive and optimistic view of the standard buyer. Sadly, this is not always the case – some buyers simply do not understand the complexity and/or time-requirements for certain petitions, and others do not care.

I have come across hundreds of fantastic, friendly, easy-going and completely understandable buyers; and it is really a pleasure to even cross the free/cost line for them. But, then again, there are also the other types of buyers, which do not require much of an explanation.

In any case, I hope you can keep us up to date with this system and how it is being developed,
Chris ;)

x Precisely, that’s what I meant. My point, actually, was whether you did not want to add a pop-up because it could affect the UX.

xx Partially true, because the ability to re-rate wasn’t there at that itme. Now it is, and I can assure that an unfairly unhappy buyer will down-rate.

1679 posts Building the Web.
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
ZoomIt says

Or maybe allow rerate only if the newer rating is higher ( for those who mistakenly give 1 start )

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

i need no stats because i’m the one giving support, not envato.
and buyers using the low rating argument to obtain free work for sure don’t open a ticket.

151 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Keenpixel says

This is all fine and dandy and I applaud the effort. However I agree that this opens the rating system up to possible abuse. Not to mention it doesn’t address the real problem, getting buyers to rate files period! Admins themselves mentioned that the majority of files go unrated. That’s the real issue that needs to be addressed imho!

1105 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+12 more
ranfirefly says

I know I’ve posted it before, but again, I think this is the best thing to do:

The visual setting I have in mind is already implemented in AMAZON and EBAY , and I find it very useful when it comes to the moment of purchase (illustrated below).

The thing is, ratings really count when you’re looking at similar items, and that what makes us (authors) create better/ good looking/ useful items.

^ Needless to say, I believe that all of the rating data is already there, so why not showing it to the potential buyer.

Here is an old story, and I’ll make it short.
Few months ago I sold one of my items 4 times, 4 of the buyers (all of them) gave me 5 stars rate (for sure), and the rating was standing on 5 stars. That was great ;). Shortly after the 5th buyer has made his purchase, my rating dropped to 4 stars.
How odd is that?!? Of course he was giving me 1 star rate, because that’s the only option for dropping from 5 to 4 stars.

^ If the rating system could show the segmentation, it was better.

5387 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says
ranfirefly said

Few months ago I sold one of my items 4 times, 4 of the buyers (all of them) gave me 5 stars rate (for sure), and the rating was standing on 5 stars. That was great ;). Shortly after the 5th buyer has made his purchase, my rating dropped to 4 stars.
How odd is that?!? Of course he was giving me 1 star rate, because that’s the only option for dropping from 5 to 4 stars.

I’ve seen this exact same thing and I’m sure other authors have experienced this equation before as well. Precisely why authors are sensitive about the ratings and why the graph solution is perfect.

It’s extremely helpful for buyers to know if a file is actually high quality downgraded by a couple of zingers or instead just average quality by being consistently rated 3/4 stars.

The graph also allows authors to accurately evaluate their work. For example, if a file is consistently rated lower than we expect, we can take some time to evaluate and improve the product.

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Seriously, the rating system either needs to be scrapped altogether, or majorly revamped from scratch, because it’s a joke at the moment.

I’ve already posted a thread, but it’s got buried (which I am not happy with).

by
by
by
by
by
by