5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Grayline says

Hello all

Just want to find out, if I purchase a tutorial (let’s say hypothetically, ‘how to design a glossy logo in photoshop’), am I allowed to add that ‘glossy logo’ to my portfolio?

As usual, thanks for any thoughts!

5 posts
Grayline says

Ps, I am still a beginner :)

3950 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

The item must NOT be based on a tutorial. – For example you cannot submit an item that you created by following a tutorial, in whole or in part. Even if the tutorial writer has granted a license for use you should keep in mind that on principle the Envato Marketplaces do not allow tutorial recreations. If you are submitting a tutorial to the Tuts+ Marketplace, the tutorial must not be based in whole or in part on another tutorial, or based around another person’s work (such as a tutorial showing you how to recreate someone else’s work, i.e. an artwork). You cannot reproduce any elements of another tutorial or another person’s work, unless you have the license to do so.

Read more here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/112

63 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AgentVIP says

Can’t see there being a problem with it, as it’s really only you that dictates what goes onto your portfolio. Ethically, it depends though: If you’re going to copy (for instance) some sort of action poster, using identical images. elements, positions and methods.. then adding it to your portfolio may seem a little misleading to potential clients/visitors?

It’s for you to judge, really. If you’ve created the ‘glossy logo’ yourself (i.e. an original mark, colors, resources.., etc), using your own creativity and initiative, and simply not copied the exact text/font/mark/size/colour of the logo.. then sure. But from a ‘look at my website that showcases all of my skills, ones which I copied from a tutorial’.. then not so much.

EDIT: Or as miseld just covered, you may have been referring to selling it on the marketplace as opposed to a digital portfolio. If you are then no, don’t do that.

5 posts
Grayline says

No, no, I just meant my personal portfolio – as in, the thing I show to potential clients… Mmmm… I think you are right it will be misleading if it is not my own creativity… Thank you for the input I really appreciate it! I want to start off the right way so I will take your advise

Thank you Miseld, I should have been more clear on which portfolio I was speaking of

3950 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

It was my pleasure to help you.

2636 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+18 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Hello all

Just want to find out, if I purchase a tutorial (let’s say hypothetically, ‘how to design a glossy logo in photoshop’), am I allowed to add that ‘glossy logo’ to my portfolio?

As usual, thanks for any thoughts!

You are perfectly entitled to include the resulting work in your personal portfolio / showreel. It’s just that your clients, as yourself, might have seen the tutorial and notice your skills not being anything but an application of current tutorials (which, in consequence will lead to them thinking they can very well do the same thing, just by following a tutorial). So my suggestion to you is to use the tutorial to learn how to achieve a certain effect, then use the effect together with your personal touch on a very different logo or object.

Good luck :)

p.s: selling work based on the tutorial is totally out of the question as the others have said, but then again that wasn’t the point of your question. :D

by
by
by
by
by
by