1051 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

(sorry about my english, I’m from Argentina)

Hi, I’m an author, should I registered my music on my own country legally before publish on Audio Jungle ? I have, of course, the original material of my songs (recording sessions files, Reason .rfl files, etc) but should I register each song legally as proof of ownership before start uploading them ?

Or with the source files I have is enough to prove it

Thanks !

1489 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

Normally you should.
As a cheap solution to prove that you’re the original creator of your files, you can burn those on a CD, sens it by postage to yourself and never open it. The postal stamp contains the date, so, you can prove that your track was made before other people’s similar track (you should do that before uploading tracks on internet).

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
helloGreenStar says

If you don’t sell the source files, you can always show them if need be, and prove you made the work. If the person who lifted the mp3/wav can only show an mp3/wav, they will lose. I’d also recommend what Mijai_Sorohan said. it’s been the “bootleg copyright” for years and does work.

1051 posts
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Thank you !! I Think is a good Idea…:)

2723 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says

Welcome to AudioJungle, Sonicbyte! :) As far as AudioJungle is concerned, you don’t need to register your music—you instantly own the copyright to something if you have created it yourself. Of course take extra measures if you need to or want to, but just wanted to clarify that, as far as AudioJungle is concerned, we don’t require you to register your music. It’s a good idea to hold onto your source files (Reason files for example) in case there’s ever a copyright inquiry. :)

We’re looking forward to hearing your audio on AudioJungle! :)

1051 posts
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Thank you all for the help, I will do what Mihai_Sorohan says, I think is a good idea and then I will start uploading my music :)

Thanks for the support !

no-thumbnail
Filipe_Sheepwolf Recent Posts Threads Started
3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
Filipe_Sheepwolf says

Hi, i’m new here to, sorry for bumping an old topic, but i wanted i’ve got the same question… I’ve made most of my songs in fruity loops and reason, i’m planning to sell some of my music for flash games, I haven’t copyrighted my music yet, neither registered it (I don’t really know if it’s the same thing…) actually, this copyright thing is new and confuse to me…

People told me that usually, to register/ or copyright my songs, i would have to take my music to another institute, where i would register my stuff, and it’s usually a complex process, where we have to pay in order to copyright our music… How is it possible that simply uploading our songs to here automatically copyright our stuff? for free??? Is there any advantages/disadvantages of simply uploading our music here, instead of copyrighting our music as most people do? (Registering the songs on an institute, and pay for that, etc etc ect…)

Thanks in advance…

70 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
tomh says

There’s nothing magical about copywriting your track – you just have to put a© next to it or mention a license when you sell it. Copywriting only means something if you take someone to court for infringing it.

The reason people go to big institutions is that they will have a legal team which will protect the music, and a legally valid license made for you. If you’re making big bucks, then this may be worth it, but remember even the music industry doesn’t catch everyone who illegally resells music.

As for me, I dont’ copywrite anything on AJ (though I have previously put things under creative commons like http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ when it was for a free project). Nobody can resell it on AJ, as they’ll quickly be caught, and if they sell it on another stock site, you can always tell them – no stock site will want illegal music to sell. Your AJ sales will not suffer either way.

There is nothing you can do to ultimately guarantee nobody will resell your music, even with a big team of lawyers to track and prosecute.

no-thumbnail
Filipe_Sheepwolf Recent Posts Threads Started
3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
Filipe_Sheepwolf says

Thank you for answering… I’m just a bit afraid of doing it wrong :P, I’m new to all this of making music and copyright/license it…

I’ll start uploading today

Thank you

2723 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says

Welcome to AudioJungle, Felipe. :) Seems like Tom has answered your question very thoroughly, thanks, Tom! Try uploaded one file to begin with, Felipe, following the upload instructions carefully, see if your file gets approved, and then take things from there! That way, if your file gets accepted, you’ll know you’re doing the right thing. Or if it gets rejected, you’ll be able to see where you went wrong (our reviewers will let you know what needs fixing). Good luck, and please let us know if you have any more questions along the way! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by