Willow_Branch_Music Recent Posts Threads Started
52 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Willow_Branch_Music says

To me AJ is more attractive precisely for the reason that one has the chance, with the right amount of elbow grease, to have the kind of success a Tim McMorris etc. has had. Hats off to all the guys at the top who have obviously WORKED to get there.

170 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
solarsound says

I like potatoes

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
vibecode says

I like potatoes

Best comment in this thread, especially if don`t read all the previous :D

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
vibecode says

Just because few kids died of hunger in Africa do I have to do the same ?

No, you should not of course. But you also should not be the cause of their hunger. There is a border where free competition ends and monopoly begins. Monopoly – cancer, multinational corporations – cancer. Cancer sucks all the resources from the body through which it lives, the body dies, the cancer dies with him. Therefore, there are antitrust laws that support the system in a state of healthy balance.

292 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
adammonroe says

As others have said, if you’re non-exclusive and sell your music other places, why wouldn’t you keep uploading? Extra money is extra money, no? It doesn’t cost anything to upload tracks to AudioJungle. I don’t think you should let your dissatisfaction with the site, pride, or whatever emotion you are feeling steal money out of your pocket. Unless there’s another site where your tracks are doing a lot better that can offer you some kind of exclusivity deal, I say keep uploading.

As an aside, we aren’t living in the 18th, 19th, or even 20th century anymore. The musicality of your work doesn’t matter anymore – it’s the commercial appeal, and the marketability. The only people who will recognize your talent (musically) are likely other musicians and composers. Music needs to be massively appealing now, and appealing to the masses sometimes means simplifying things. This has been going on for 20 years or more. Nearly every song on the radio has the same 4-on-the-floor beat to it, because it’s what people have come to expect, and what’s familiar. It is perceived to be what the masses want. So maybe your musical talents don’t really matter as much anymore as your marketing ones. Does it make for lots of mediocrity when everyone is trying to write the same kind of sound(s)? Hell yeah it does, but that’s the name of the game right now.

256 posts God always geometrizes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
kristijanf says

My opinion is you SHOULD keep uploading till you get tired and till you throw your guts out , and after that keep uploading some more and some more.

And after that, you make decision.At least you will know you tried.

582 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Kristijanf, now we know your secret for unlimited success!

256 posts God always geometrizes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
kristijanf says

well it is a path,maybe not unlimited at this moment, but i am satisfied.

842 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

First, I’d like to say that I really don’t believe SkyProductions meant no harm with his comments, which can be seen from his posts on this forum, and is just letting off a bit of steam. The internet has shown that comments can easily be (miss)interpreted into many meaning. So, please, show some decorum.

Now, one thing I know for sure, I’ve never seen (there may be some, I just haven’t seen/heard them) a ‘bad’ song with a huge amount of sales. I’ve also seen that more recent songs with large sales had some form of helping hand on the way, be it being featured, in a promoted collection, being in a successful VH project, external influences, or plain old just being an exceptional song. For new songs at least, it does seem the being part of a successful VH project is probably the biggest factor in getting a healthy sales boost. I know for sure that my tacks that are paired up get a sales boost.

My personal plan is to just keep uploading the best I can at a steady rate to build up a large portfolio for the long term. I was out-and-about for over a month without uploading any tracks and still made a healthy (for me at my current stage of evolving!) number of sales. So, I’m happy knowing that there is true potential to earn some non-trivial passive income in the future.

Cheers, Gari

MysticLotusMusic
MysticLotusMusic Recent Posts Threads Started
21 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
MysticLotusMusic says

Like many here, I think that success on this site is based on talent, hard work, AND luck. Luck is probably the least important, because hard work, and a great portfolio can negate the need for any luck. Establishing yourself early was probably to many author’s advantages, but they have been here for years. After consistent output for years, everyone should expect to see more success.

But I do think that the system is flawed.

I saw several suggestions here that either mentioned or agreed with the idea of having a “top new tracks” section. While that is beneficial in the short run, it still wouldn’t address the main issue of this thread. That is, it doesn’t address developing a portfolio that gives true passive income. I think part of the solution would be to increase the importance of the profile page. I haven’t been a buyer here, so I’m not exactly sure how it works, but following an author should have a lot of importance, allowing customers to be informed of new uploads.

For example, as a buyer, I should be able to someone’s profile, and select a song I like, based on the category. Then, I should be able to not only follow the person, but I should also be able to add them to a notification list, where I am instantly informed of new uploads by the people I feel are talented, and have consistent output. What is the first thing people do when they log on to facebook? They almost always check their notifications.

Something like that might already be in place, but it should be further emphasized.

Also, if portfolios could have a bit more weight, it would be more likely for sales to increase for the tracks that just sit there. People just click on a track, listen to it, and buy it. I imagine if they choose not to buy it, they probably don’t listen to the author’s other music, they probably just listen to the other music in the search results.

In this way, with every new upload, you are increasing the chances ALL of your tracks are being looked at.

But then the question becomes, “How can we further emphasize complete profiles?” And I have no answer to that yet. But I haven’t given it much thought at all.

Another thing I think we should be doing as a community is commenting on the tracks of others. Myspace used to have a sort of etiquette like this… If someone commented on one of your pictures, you were supposed to comment back. That should be happening here. Because when people see positive comments on tracks, they are probably going to feel a lot better about making a purchase that they are on the fence about. It’s simple bandwagon marketing. “If these people liked the track, then other will too!”

Also, I think being able to enter someone’s profile name into the search section and find them would be highly beneficial. Since this isn’t implemented, it would probably be useful to put your own name in the tags for a few of your tracks.

Just a few thoughts… Though I have only been here for a month or so, and I haven’t gotten a full grasp of how things work yet.

by
by
by
by
by
by