263 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
SkyProductions says

So I’ve been with AJ for about 9 months now and have had some great luck/success here and I am thankful to all Envato does.

However I’m noticing something that is making me consider not wanting to upload anymore.

I am with other RF libraries that sell my tracks regularly. AJ sells my tracks regularly too.

The difference though is that other RF libraries I am with are doing a great job at selling my files AFTER they’ve been up a month. At AJ I ONLY sell files that I have just uploaded. After about a month, that file will never be sold again. There is one other library I use to upload to that behaved that way so I stopped uploading.

This is only my personal experience though with AJ, yours might be different.

There has been talk I’ve read about a new search engine? Maybe I’ll wait to see what happens with that.

-Sky

672 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ZtarrZound says

I think you have quite the portfolio in place already. You see even some of the most successful authors have some of their newest uploads with 0 or very low sales so it’s not just you.

That said, yes the/a newly refined search solution should help a bit with some buyers (seemingly) giving up on using the current implementation and turning to the popular files &/or top sellers repeatedly. As it is, there’s not much we can do about it as even complaints don’t seem to have sped up the process of getting it in place any faster. So wait and see it is.

600 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Good point, I’ve begun to notice this… thing is this is only my 4th consecutive month with what would be a consistent stream of sales so I’m not sure yet. I’d recommend letting it go for a while then seeing what happens, but that might mean a decrease in income… I really don’t know man, I always theorised that if you upload consistently enough and get enough sales for a time period, then you’d have enough of the market share to then have people come to your “shop” often enough. It’s all really confusing, I’m just going to keep working at it for a year, and if “passive” income isn’t letting me survive (i.e. sales from older songs supporting the ones of new songs) then I might change my plan, but I wouldn’t give up yet man, you haven’t been here a year yet!

1004 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
simaudio says

I think you should do what’s right for you but I can’t really see a reason not to upload on AJ, like you said; you do get regular sales so that has to be a good thing and I think you’ve been doing really well :) over 200 sales!

You have a good portfolio already in place and that’s what it’s all about, those tracks that you refer to will sell in the long run but the competition is getting stronger (more members daily)

When the new search engine comes in, I’m sure it will help.

Stick with it!

:)

1012 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
AlumoAudio says

Hey Sky,

I’ve actually been thinking along the same lines recently, and have also felt that only recent uploads seem to catch any sales here on AJ, with the exception of those with an associated VH project. Other tracks (even, in my opinion ‘strong’ tracks) seem to be ‘hot’ for a week or so, then quickly sink to the bottom. I can also see this from page-view analytics, with weeks and weeks without a single page-view on some items.

I’m really wanting to push forward with selling my music online, and making it a full-time thing, but this realisation unfortunately meant I’ve had to start distributing my music (from my non-exclusive AJ account) elsewhere on numerous other RF sites. Which kind of defeated the object of being an Audiojungle exclusive author, as I was really willing to remain loyal to Envato and sell here, well, exclusively.

Again, there’s been lots of talk about this alleged search engine update, for months now in fact, but sadly not really any feedback on the issue. Maybe it would change the whole business model here and not currently in Envato’s best financial interests? Who knows.

In the meantime, I guess we just have to be patient and if we’re serious about earning in this field, consider other options instead of putting all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

213 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

I think my experience might be a bit different. My last upload was May 22, but I sold 250+ items in July. It can be dangerous to make over arching assumptions about sales and the importance of front page exposure.

580 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
tacoMusic says

@brownhousemedia – that’s because you’re a super-talented ninja who knows his stuff. I’m holding off for the moment and trying to market outside AJ as I’ve had the same drop off of sales after they’ve passed the honeymoon period.

But you’re right, it’s about waiting a bit as well to see how things go in the long-term.

263 posts
+3 more
SkyProductions says

Umm…your a top author who joined in 2009 when AJ’s catalog of songs was way below 5,000. You got in at the right time to where AJ was marketing like crazy but they only had a handful of composers, so you guys from 2008 and 2009 got way lucky from AJ’s hard work.

Now AJ has blown up in a good way and you top authors go to the top of search every time because you already have established buys. You have great stuff Brown but I can bet you that we sell the same at other libraries because they don’t have a system like this where it is in favor of the file with 100+ buys already.

You got 250+ sales in July Brown with out uploading anything? Congrats I think I got around 50 while uploading almost everyday. Do you know why you got more sales? Its not because you have better music, even though you might think it is. I just scored a trailer for “Broken City” and have list of credits with other exclusive libraries/publishers so I can hold my own.

You got 250+ because you got in at the right time.

Now a bunch of top 20 authors are about to come in this thread a defend themselves giving examples that people like PinkZebra, Sweetwaveaudio, and Music Premium just joined recently and have had great sales. Now while they have great corporate/inspirational music, they only got where they are because they had a track featured that was corporate, and it snowballed. Very lucky and not something the average AJ author should expect.

Look at their sales, 0, 1, 4, 0, 789, 6, 2 etc

Customers just buy the most popular item because the majority of AJ’s material is sub-par, and buyers don’t want to spend all that time going through bad music to get to the one good track.

263 posts
+3 more
SkyProductions says

I think my experience might be a bit different. My last upload was May 22, but I sold 250+ items in July. It can be dangerous to make over arching assumptions about sales and the importance of front page exposure.

I don’t get that last statement Brown. I never said it was front page exposure that does it. Customers usually search through either the default setting of “Date” or they flip that to “Sales”. I get sales the first month only because the “Date” is the default. You get sales because they flip it to “Sales”.

213 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

Thanks for the education. I hope I continue to be lucky.

Do you know why you got more sales? Its not because you have better music, even though you might think it is. I just scored a trailer for “Broken City” and have list of credits with other exclusive libraries/publishers so I can hold my own.

I am not sure where I said I had better music…. Don’t accuse me of saying things I did not.

by
by
by
by
by
by