463 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
Marbury-Media says

I think there are enough Ukes here to last a lifetime so no ;-) There are plenty more instruments out there to choose. It’s so cliche now

2010 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Hey Kurly
NI The Giant & Alicia Keys are awesome pianos, I’m totally surprised that they can sound so bad! I thought it’s it’s the cheapest of a freeware or outdated library.
But Alkis is right in every single point.
Musically there’s nothing wrong, it would be very beautiful, but now it’s hidden behind ugly quantized 127-value velocities…. I completely understand if they rejected it and they will do again, no matter in which category you upload it! If you choose a wrong category they will suggest you a new one, but not reject it of course.

Follow Alki’s advices and you could be successful. And be careful with single band compression, don’t make it hard and flat with this.

I hope you can fix this, since I don’t really believe so much in editing. I do a lot of edits too, but to get a nice live-feeling I’m never able to do this with the mouse. I always have to play it (especially my piano tracks) and then just fix the mistakes, but if ever possible I don’t quantize it, nor add a uniform velocity to the notes!!
But in my opinion this track has to work work with solo piano, there’s no need to have a orchestra or pad, this will work without too. But to get more feelings you could a some ritardandos.
Good luck!

386 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Revturkey says

(Shouldn’t this be under Item Discussion?)

Hi Kurly :)

The composition is good. I like it. Needs dynamics though and some subtlety.

It sounds very mechanical, like an old piano roll machine.

As a quick idea….when going up in pitch you might ‘swell’ the velocity a touch and when descending reduce the emphasis…unless going for a dramatic lower end focus…but for middle of the piano twinkly plinky plonky playing…just swell up and down a bit in the right hand more. It will fool many people into believing in the feel of a real performer. In the left hand you can do similar but it also helps to place emphasis on the points in a bar or structure which define sections and tempo…for example the first note of a melodic phrase. Just a couple of ideas.

I don’t envy you having to it all with a mouse and keyboard…lot of work that…good luck.

967 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
Kurlykovs says

I actually composed it on a guitar because this is the instrument I play best. And then I played it on a http://line6.com/podstudiokb37/. And because it is such small keyboard I played “1 hand” at a time. First chords (left) then the melody (right). But I did fix it a lot with a mouse. Anyways thanks for your thoughts on this track guys. And yes Rev It is supposed to be in Item discussion, But the only reason that I did not post it there, is because generally no one looks there and now I got good replies from very experienced guys here, including you! And it is surely a big help! Thanks again!

61 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
iSMPro says

Hey man it’s a really well written piece. I would say the rejection is nothing to do with the composition.

I agree with the other chaps, reduce the velocity on all notes. You can also use a randomize function on the velocities in most DAWs – select them all and them randomize them between a certain range, say 80 and 90. It will sound more natural.

Also, as someone else suggested, use the sustain midi controller, a real piano player would definitely be using the sustain pedal for this piece. Try applying it on full at the start of every chord change (127) and set it to zero just before the next chord change, at which point you set it to 127 again.

I reckon with those small tweaks it will sound awesome!

53 posts
+2 more
SketchpadAudio says

I think what would get you a rejection on it, and what seems to be an instant rejection generator (is that a thing?!?) is that it sounds like it must be computer-generated. It’s just a function of quantizing, a strict tempo, and the velocities being too similar, so that it’s obvious that a person isn’t playing it.

That’s good news, though…right? Because you just have to nail the programming, and you’re in!

I actually think I’d try going extreme on this one. If you were playing it at the piano, I’d imagine that you would be milking that sustain pedal and playing as softly as you could get hammer and string to work together. So try that…start at TWENTY on the velocity. It’s crazy, I know!

Then, make the melody notes 30-40. They’ll absolutely glisten out of the rest of the sound of the piano, over the really muted, hazy soft tones of the accompaniment. Then, subtly tweak the velocities so that it feels like it pushes and pulls.

On the piano, I’ve got one recommendation for you, and you can take it for what it’s worth. The free “felt piano” from Spitfire would be PERFECT for this track. It’s got hardly any ambience, and I think low velocities and a really intimate, close-mic piano…it’s just going to draw in the listener, and the reviewer, and it’ll create real, emotional moments, which I think is what you’re going for.

That’s just what I’d do…everything else on this thread has been absolutely aces too, and I’ll be the first to tell you that my approach isn’t better in the slightest, just different. Ultimately you’ll be the judge of what works best for you!

Good luck, Semyon!

65 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
windyhill says

Alicia’s Keys is wonderful, nothing wrong with it. You could try this:

1 – First, lower the velocities. All of them.

2 – Then try to bring natural velocities to the notes, like a real player would play them.

3 – Use a Sustain Pedal or program the 64 CC midi signal accordingly, like a player would if he was playing this song. This way the notes of every chord/arpeggio blend in beautifully and sound smoother – as long as the velocity is lower and more natural. I’m guessing you know when the sustain pedal would sound suitable and when not. In general, having it pressed and by doing slightly before and on a chord change an ‘unpress, press again’ pedal signal, would suffice.

4 – It would be ideal though if you could play it on a keyboard and only quantize or edit the notes, not the velocities. I’m emphasizing on velocities and sustain pedal, because otherwise the sound comes out more dull and fake and more plastic, and that’s what probably caused the rejection.

5 – I would personally change the title to something more simple, maybe Dreams, or Dreams and Memories or whatever, but definitely not something that sounds like a question.

6 – Ukulele is not the answer to everything. :-P

Music-wise there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s great! :-)
Maybe by adding an orchestra this could become an even more elegant and warm tune!

Good luck! :-)

This is all sound advice. I don’t know what DAW you use but Logic has really simple humanise funtions for programmed midi patterns that allow you to randomise within a determined range in order to simulate real but accurate playing. It works really well. Try looking on youtube for “humanise/humanize midi” and your DAW.

967 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Kurlykovs says

Alicia’s Keys is wonderful, nothing wrong with it. You could try this:

1 – First, lower the velocities. All of them.

2 – Then try to bring natural velocities to the notes, like a real player would play them.

3 – Use a Sustain Pedal or program the 64 CC midi signal accordingly, like a player would if he was playing this song. This way the notes of every chord/arpeggio blend in beautifully and sound smoother – as long as the velocity is lower and more natural. I’m guessing you know when the sustain pedal would sound suitable and when not. In general, having it pressed and by doing slightly before and on a chord change an ‘unpress, press again’ pedal signal, would suffice.

4 – It would be ideal though if you could play it on a keyboard and only quantize or edit the notes, not the velocities. I’m emphasizing on velocities and sustain pedal, because otherwise the sound comes out more dull and fake and more plastic, and that’s what probably caused the rejection.

5 – I would personally change the title to something more simple, maybe Dreams, or Dreams and Memories or whatever, but definitely not something that sounds like a question.

6 – Ukulele is not the answer to everything. :-P

Music-wise there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s great! :-)
Maybe by adding an orchestra this could become an even more elegant and warm tune!

Good luck! :-)
This is all sound advice. I don’t know what DAW you use but Logic has really simple humanise funtions for programmed midi patterns that allow you to randomise within a determined range in order to simulate real but accurate playing. It works really well. Try looking on youtube for “humanise/humanize midi” and your DAW.

I use Presonus Studio One, and yes it does have humanize option, but it does not have a randomize velocities function. So I am working on it right now :)

94 posts
lutch says

I listened to your track and I will tell that it is similar to an electronic toy which plays everything around (one and too) Council: 1 . Through each 4 or 8 clock periods update, develop ????????.2. Listen to game on a piano – dashes, movement of phrases, force of clicking of keys and another. As sounds at you, pianists don’t play, and your task – will come nearer to original, concert execution! 3 . Use qualitative samples. Good luck.

by
by
by
by
by
by