84 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Jonah-B says

What’s up! I haven’t had any activity here in awhile because I’ve been busy with some other junk. I have some new AJ stuff on the way though. In fact, one AJ track is nearly done. If only I can get off my lazy butt and finish it.

For now I’m wanting to share something that I just finished typing up. In a lame attempt to attract more traffic to my personal web site I’ve started doing articles about stuff. I’ve done two of them so far. My first one was about the music business and piracy, and this new one is about the most useful tricks I’ve learned as a mixer. I’m talking about those rare bits of mixing knowledge that had a major impact on the sound of my music. The ones that I’ve used in nearly every mix since I discovered them.

Here’s the article

It is geared a bit more towards novices so a lot of you AJ veterans might not find much here that you’re not already familiar with.

Now, let’s use this thread to share more mixing tips! What are some of you’re favorite mixing / recording techniques? :D

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
JasonGraham says

Good article Jonah! There’s some good tips in there that I think I’ll be able to use in my projects. I like your analogy of pan being horizontal, EQ being vertical, and reverb being the depth. Good way to think of it.

1420 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Norway
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mihai_Sorohan says

The tip I’ll share isn’t even mine. I’ve seen on a dubstep producer that he actually cut the low frequencies on the bass “wobbles”, pan those to the sides or make huge stereo spread, and after that he double the bass line with a sub bass synth, mostly just a simple sine.

218 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
adriantry Staff says

Hi Jonah. That’s a good list of tips! I just tweeted your article to the Audiotuts+ audience.

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts
Threads Started
456 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Reviewer says

Nice article Jonah! Even veteran mixers can use a good refresher from times to times as they get stuck in their habits (no pun intended)...

737 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Russian Federation
JohnMcNeill says
My mastering tips: If you use EQ on 2-buss, set EQ, tweek it. Then, solo each group (Drums, Bass, Vocals, Instuments and etc.) and listen. You need to know why you use EQ on master buss. If some group with EQ sounds “wrong”, but another group sounds “right” = Use EQ only on “right” group. But if every group sounds cool with EQ, use EQ on master buss.

P.S. Sorry, if its misunderstandable :(

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
neyus says

avoid instrument’s frequency masking over one another..

84 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Jonah-B says

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, and thanks Adriantry for the tweet. I’m liking the tips you guys are sharing :)

1935 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
matsteiner says

My beginner Tips about Reverb: Very important for using reverb is not only the length and amount of the reverb, but also the question, if a instrument shall sound like close or far away from the listener. By increasing the predelay time the instruments using this reverb appear closer to you while they go further back when you use no or just a very short predelay (0-8ms). This is just a very simple description, but if you practice around with that, you’ll get the feeling what you neded to do. Hope i could explain it clear enough – if not, write me back in this thread :)

526 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
muscma01 says

My tip on mixing is to avoid the loudness war. Instead of turning up a track in a mix to make it stand out, bring some levels down. Check your rms meter to help you get a good idea where your at and if you want to hear it louder turn up the speakers.

by
by
by
by
by
by