2211 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

NOTE : This is not a hate/rant message, I just want to share some opinions and hear what others think about the matter. :)

I’ve been thinking about this for some time now and finally decided to start a topic on Forums. The thing is: there’s a long running practice on AudioJungle to add SFX variations to the main package, instead of just one sound. But if an author adds 3-4-5-or-more files, that should be a sound pack, right? Well, it seems like that’s not true if sounds are ‘too similar’. So, what happens when a compilation of similar sounds is not a pack? Well, it doesn’t get the pricing of a sound pack, but the price of a longest sound in the archive. Which basically means that most of the time such compilation with 2 or more (sometimes even 5-6-7) variations/files gets priced just $1.

Two things rise from this practice imho:
1) although it might not be too much work, author still involved more time/effort to provide additional files, and there is no adequate compensation for the effort… that is, apart from potentially more sales, which brings me to the 2) unfair competition? if author A offers a single sound priced $1 and the author B offers sound with variations, also priced $1, the chance is that buyer will opt for more value for same price, ie B’s file.

So, wouldn’t it be more logical to price them differently? I’ve never browsed other stock sites so I don’t know what’s the practice over there or if it’s a standard practice in the ‘industry’, I just wanted to share my opinions. Please do correct me if I’m wrong. I’m looking forward to a healthy and reasonable discussion.

2211 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Is this a new tool against spam that somebody was mentioning? If it is, it’s not working well, as my message is flagged right after posting/starting a new thread, although I’m not spamming :)

731 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

Yes you’re right, there’s no reward for additional variations. If I make a file with 6 punches under total length of 10 sec it’s worth 1$, but if I post it as a set it’s 3$. In general in SFX time factor is not good for pricing for instance – 1 minute sample of washing machine for 5$ against complex car crash for 1 $ :) But I’m concious that subjective pricing by reviewers is very difficult and time consuming. Hope someday we’ll be able to ‘self – price’ our files

628 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Even though I’m not an SFX guy at all, I’ve worked with SFX guys and have seen them at work. I do get an idea of what you guys are going on about and I completely understand and support you guys. I know it takes quite a bit of work to do good SFX at times so I understand that one can feel often that their work is selling for a lot less than it’s worth. Perhaps AudioJungle should re-asses how they price SFX , but hopefully in a responsible way that won’t scare away customers. Raising the price of ALL SFX would be wrong and I really think self-pricing is a bad idea as it would kill this marketplace as one of the best things about it is it’s standardisation.

Perhaps you guys could recommend a price in the suggestion box before you submit the item? I’ve heard of others doing this before…

by
by
by
by
by
by