88 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
LaMusique says

Hi!

There are lots of artists nowadays who earn their living by selling their art (music, video, graphics) through stock sites. I wonder, what happens if someone is a European or Asian country citizen and he goes to US/Canada on tourist visa for a long visit (3-6 month). Can he legally use the money in US/Canada which he earns through sales which come to his paypal account? Can he withdraw this money on his new-opened US/Canada bank account? And can he create more art and upload it to the stock sites while staying in US/Canada or he has to acquire some work permission?

Does somebody know something about it? I’ve talked with a few lawyers and they don’t have solid answers as the topic is kinda new..

178 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
JinWook says

Hi! :)

I don’t really understand what the problem is here? You can use paypal in just about any country except mine and the bank in that country handles the conversion. I know in SA you can get a travelers account too where you deposit money into for use overseas.

88 posts
LaMusique says

Ok. But the problem is when you create new video/tracks while staying in other countries.. it is work, no ? And if you work in US/Canada you have to have work permit.

1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Get the Mastercard from Payoneer ;)

I don’t have any answer too but I’m used to travel and live abroad. Since a few months, I work as a freelancer and it’s usually simple to get the necessary papers for that in many countries (In EU at least). Don’t know about US/Canada.

178 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
JinWook says

I know a few people that have gone to england to work for 6 months on a work permit and whatever they earned they payed tax on, but because they weren’t British citizens when they left the country at the end of their 6 months they claimed the tax back. Only citizens pay tax. I assume that’s why when you enter a country you have to specify how much money you’re entering with. Never the less I am a South African citizen so I pay tax in South Africa not anywhere else irrelevant if I upload resources there or not. Non citizens don’t pay tax, thats pretty much the bottom line.

I sure they’re far more indepth legal details but really unless you’re talking huge sums of money it’s going to go unnoticed.

732 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

I believe in Canada you would be safe – at least with the music already uploaded and generating sales as they are hosted elsewhere already and are technically (at the point of sale) they are not in Canada (unless they have a Canadian server which they use). It’s fine to have money generating out of the country.

If you were always able to use Paypal to do transactions it wouldn’t be a problem…Still however, look into a work visa instead of a tourist visa so that there aren’t any grey areas, because as soon as you try to open a bank account, they will notice.

Any work done in Canada is considered taxable, even though it’s intellectual property. So though you may be uploading to somewhere else, the Canadian government is still going to say “Hey you wrote that song on our soil, now we want our cut”

If you’re only making a few hundred dollars and are uploading 5 songs while your gone, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Good luck!

2678 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

I’m not a legal expert, but one would imagine that you continue to pay taxes on where your main/legal residence is. Meaning, if I go on a trip to China for 1, 3 or 6 months, but I am still a legal resident of the US, any money I make through work while in China is actually taxable income in the US. For example, I live in the USA and the times I have travelled to England and worked over there (remotely), I continue to pay my taxes in the US. So I would say that it all depends on where your legal residence is.

88 posts
LaMusique says

I talked with a Canadian lawyer and also Canadian embassy consultant. All of them claim that its illegal “to work” while staying on tourist visa in Canada. Creating tracks and even paying native taxes only (not Canadian) is still illegal if you don’t have a work permit cause Canada sees it as a freelance-job. Don’t know how it is in US though, but I think its the same..

by
by
by
by
by
by