478 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
NeuronFX says

Hi guys,

Can we sell our videohive templates personally (by email, etc…)

Sometimes certain buyers ask for different licences that are not available at videohive, example; unlimited video renders per template rather then have to buy each time…

So can we offer these licences on our own while still selling exclusively here?

It would be nice to hear your thoughts :)

1555 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+8 more
dorde says

No. Exclusive items can be sold only at videohive.

Tricky question is: What if client want project customization from template author, but he is not able to pay online, and author can’t buy his own item (or to be more precise, better to say “single use licence” than “item”)?
I’m always clear in conversation with clients, I always tell them that project need to be purchased, even if I have it or if project is mine.
30-50% of each sale which belongs to envato really not worth to risk account here.

I’m flagging this post for staff reply just in case if I’m not quite right, or if they have to say something more.

478 posts
  • Won a competition
+4 more
NeuronFX says

No. Exclusive items can be sold only at videohive.

Tricky question is: What if client want project customization from template author, but he is not able to pay online, and author can’t buy his own item (or to be more precise, better to say “single use licence” than “item”)?
I’m always clear in conversation with clients, I always tell them that project need to be purchased, even if I have it or if project is mine.
30-50% of each sale which belongs to envato really not worth to risk account here.

I’m flagging this post for staff reply just in case if I’m not quite right, or if they have to say something more.

Exactly, cause after all the rights of the template still belongs to the creator I think… but then we go into agreement with videohive that we’ll sell exclusively on their site. So its a little misleading…

An other thing, for example if a buyer buys a template videohive, can the author give him an other licence agreement, (for example multiple render agreement)? I don’t believe its possible, but its worth to ask and maybe get an answer from the staff…

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi @Neuron and @Dorde, exclusivity means that you are choosing to only sell your files on the Marketplaces. If you sell them anywhere else this breaches the exclusivity. I will ask our legal team about the different license questions you brought up and get a clear answer for you. I hope this helps guys!

478 posts
  • Won a competition
+4 more
NeuronFX says

Hi @Neuron and @Dorde, exclusivity means that you are choosing to only sell your files on the Marketplaces. If you sell them anywhere else this breaches the exclusivity. I will ask our legal team about the different license questions you brought up and get a clear answer for you. I hope this helps guys!

Thanks for the quick answer! :)

504 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+8 more
steve314 says

Thanks Carmen! Can you also please clear up what happens if we the Authors of our items, need to use all or part of one of our items in a freelance work? System does not allow to purchase our own files and get a valid license (Or is it that we don’t need any?)

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi Steve314,

I’ll check this out with our legal team as I’m not 100% sure. Keep your eye on this thread and I’ll get back to you soon. :)

504 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+8 more
steve314 says

Thank you for the concern! I will! :)

478 posts
  • Won a competition
+4 more
NeuronFX says

Any updates on this? Thanks :)

1560 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Long waiting answer. :-)

As for question from Steve I highly believe exclusive authors are free to use own items as needed in freelance, own videos, etc. The only limitation is selling item itself outside.

Best Regards, Andrey

by
by
by
by
by
by