86 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
pietrogirardi says

I’m curious how many of you are autodidact musicians and how many studied their instrument(s) in a music school / university etc…?
As i was about 8 years old my parents sent me in a music school to properly learn how to play the electronic organ, but i already played everything i heard… so every time the teacher wanted to practice a new song with me, i asked her to play it first, then i played it – teh way i remembered it to hear. But if she asked me something, pointing with the finger at the score sheet, why i didn’t play a specific note not exactly like this, i couldn’t answer, because i was too lazy to learn reading the notes….:)
After about 6 month I (or she? :) ) gave up. Then i learned all by myself, played everything i knew and heard in the radio, later i bougth my first Synth (brand new Korg M1) and a Atari and started to record & arrange songs for all kind of companies, singers, etc…, played in several bands the keys (most of all piano & hammond) and later i started to run my own studio….
` What a bout you?

Pretty much my story! Only difference: my first synth was an M1 too, but second hand (ahh, me poor Italian guy ;-) ) and my first “music computer” was an Amiga 500 with midi and sampling interface (remember “amiga vs atari”?). Then, lots of bands and a home studio and (sadly) a dayjob…

4 years ago I started to study again, and got my Theory licence at the conservatory at the very age of 34. Now I’m studying classical, and it’s great because I feel like I’m improving everyday both as a pianist and as a composer. It’s hard to keep studying when you’re a grown man with kids and day job, but it pays off every day.

213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
vaisnava says

I am a self educated musician, but it sure looks like you’re a self educated speller… :P

“musicicans”

:P hehehe

871 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
JohnRosso says

Self educated since birth =)
Self educated till death =) may be I just don’t like education system
2005 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

I am a self educated musician, but it sure looks like you’re a self educated speller… :P

“musicicans”

:P hehehe

Haha!! Maybe i ment “Musicchickens” :P

328 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
MValentino says

I’m self educated just for some instrument. I mean, I had classical training for violin and piano, but I’m self educated for guitars, flutes, percussions and ethnic instruments…

247 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
DanHoodMusic says

Mostly self-taught as well. I studied some jazz in college, and I teach guitar, so I am always learning something new to stay ahead of my students!

I learned recording techniques from sessions, and friends. “Interned” with a custom music business (I still freelance a lot in this field) and just practiced…

AudioJungle is a great place to put songs that originally started as experiments, and turned out strong.

327 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
TimOstanin says

Self educated since 3 years (violin)

1964 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

Hi Guys – Yes same here – self taught playing keyboards and guitar!

27 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
migueljl says

Also self educated! my father teach me guitar when i was 7… I think the main think is play with other musicians a lot and after learn at home :)

276 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
candeed says

One of our team is a self-taught guitarist and songwriter.. He never went to any music school, but he could create many beautiful tunes with his guitar.. We always encourage him to sell his music in AudioJungle, but it seems like he’s too “busy” enjoying playing music with his bandmates and selling songs on iTunes, Amazon Mp3 etc..

by
by
by
by
by
by