248 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
bodorobodo says

Tried both Dynaudio BM6A MK2 and AdamA7X… both great. I just got rid of Event’s PS6. I only hear good things for the quality/price ratio on KRK, so, go for it.

131 posts
    Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Taiwan Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

@Buddha, Thanks for the good info. I have foam to put on the walls and a rug to cover the wood floor. It’s a rather small room tho. It’s about 6.5 feet by 9 feet. It’s this too small to even consider a sub in the first place?

Honestly, I would reconsider the foam. It’s helps with the upper-mid and high frequencies, but does next to nothing with the low frequencies. For that you need mass, and lots of it. Search for the term “Broadband absorber” and “Bass traps”. There are places selling these but they can get very expensive. If you have even the smallest DIY bone in your body, you can make them yourself. Essentially just 2×4 sheets of rigid fiberglass or rockwool with a certain density and thickness (4 inches is good) enclosed in a frame with a breathable fabric. They’re placed around the room in strategic locations. You can also build them into your corners (where a lot of bass builds up) and help there as well.

That’s a simple explanation. It’s really a super deep rabbit hole to jump into! I’ve spent countless hours reading forums and books about the subject and still feel I know very little.

With that in mind, I would say yes, your room is probably a bit small to need a sub. If like another poster mentioned, you were producing club bangers, then I would consider it. But for only stock music, and in your room, I would advise against it. But that’s just my opinion. You can always buy one later if you find your monitors aren’t giving you enough bass. And if you do decide to get one, I would mix with it turned off most of the time. Then flip it on every now and then to check things out.

And hope you get a chance to check out those forums. You’ll thank me! (or curse me if you find yourself spending too much time there spending way more than you ever had in mind!)

827 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
PhilLarson says

@Buddha, Thanks for the good info. I have foam to put on the walls and a rug to cover the wood floor. It’s a rather small room tho. It’s about 6.5 feet by 9 feet. It’s this too small to even consider a sub in the first place?

Honestly, I would reconsider the foam. It’s helps with the upper-mid and high frequencies, but does next to nothing with the low frequencies. For that you need mass, and lots of it. Search for the term “Broadband absorber” and “Bass traps”. There are places selling these but they can get very expensive. If you have even the smallest DIY bone in your body, you can make them yourself. Essentially just 2×4 sheets of rigid fiberglass or rockwool with a certain density and thickness (4 inches is good) enclosed in a frame with a breathable fabric. They’re placed around the room in strategic locations. You can also build them into your corners (where a lot of bass builds up) and help there as well.

That’s a simple explanation. It’s really a super deep rabbit hole to jump into! I’ve spent countless hours reading forums and books about the subject and still feel I know very little.

With that in mind, I would say yes, your room is probably a bit small to need a sub. If like another poster mentioned, you were producing club bangers, then I would consider it. But for only stock music, and in your room, I would advise against it. But that’s just my opinion. You can always buy one later if you find your monitors aren’t giving you enough bass. And if you do decide to get one, I would mix with it turned off most of the time. Then flip it on every now and then to check things out.

And hope you get a chance to check out those forums. You’ll thank me! (or curse me if you find yourself spending too much time there spending way more than you ever had in mind!)

Wow, this is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much! I’ll let you know down the line if I have any more questions. And I will check out those forums. You’re a great resource. Thanks again! :)

248 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
bodorobodo says

Google for auralex, they might inspire you for some DIY room treatment advices.

1000 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
simaudio says

Krk’s are great value for the money! I have the 8’s and the reviews i’ve read about them reckon the low end is very precise probably the best in their price range. I wouldn’t bother with the sub, personally I don’t think you’ll need it and you can always get one later if you feel like you do.

I think that is a cracking deal and you get the mopads which are awesome! believe me they can make a massive difference.

Found this on acoustic treatment, if you search the site you’ll probably find more info on diy treatment;

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/articles/studiosos.htm

Good luck :)

511 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
JonBuice says

Heyo Phil – Take a look at Yamaha HS80’s. If you shop around/hunt for deal/price match you can get them cheaper that advertised. Anyway, they’re 8’’ monitors with a very clean sound and great bass response. In my opinion they translate mixes better than rokits (what I used to have) and don’t have an overly brittle high end (a popular complaint with Adam A7s). You should definitely grab a flash drive full of tunes and head to the monitor section of your nearest Guitar Center or Sam Ash. You could kill a whole day just listening and comparing. You’ll definitely gain more knowledge from that than any online review :)

Good luck on the hunt!

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Envato team says

Take a look at Yamaha HS80’s [...] they’re 8’’ monitors with a very clean sound and great bass response. In my opinion they translate mixes better than rokits
+1
They are the modern version of the never equaled NS10Ms (as far as transparency goes). You should definitely check it out Phil!
82 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Located in Ukraine
gvsmusic says

Guys, are you crazy here? :) Phil has a very small studio. 8 inch monitors are too large for this tiny room. If one has HS80 and is extremely excited about them – usually the room is rather big (~20 sq. meters – sorry, I use the metric system, not American).

The best choice is Adam A7, or even A5. By the way, you can try to find used ones – they will be cheaper. Actually, I am an adherent of used items. Ok, you wont have any warranty. So what? Studio monitors are bought for professional purposes and are used generally by professionals who treat the equipment carefully. Of course, there are some individuals, for whom mama bought the monitors, so that the beloved kid could mixdown some hip-hop. This might be dangerous. Just be careful while buying and everything will be ok.

P.S. in the used monitors the speakers are already worked out, so you don’t need to warm up (new monitors tend to sound differently in a couple of month, so that all you previous work might be down the drain).

1398 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
lucafrancini Envato team says

Hi, if you have an untreated small room you have 2 choices:

1- Use your money to buy at least 2 basstraps (forget foam things like auralex, you need mineral wool). Otherwise you will not ever listen real bass from any monitor. And then wait for HS80M

2- Buy HS50M and a good pair of headphones to check low frequencies.

377 posts
    Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
BigBouncyBright says

Hi Phil, first of all I think you don’t need 6’ dynamics with the sub (5 will be norm, and you can save some money without any looses). My advice is M-audio bx5a deluxe. They are one of the best according to your budget. Rockits are great for electronic music, but they aren’t so good for wide range of music genres, especially soft music. (Just my opinion). HS50M as Luca said also would be great, Yamaha make true things :)

by
by
by
by
by
by