643 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Disclosure

I’m not a contender for the ‘Top Author’ list, but the high price-point of my items precludes any chance of making the list. I would like to see this change for myself and others.

The ‘Top Authors’ metric is biased toward sales volume over sales value, which suits many authors but also hinders others. I’m not suggesting a reversal. I would like to see both metrics available as a fairer way of demonstrating which authors are contributing to Envato’s success.

The Math

The current ThemeForest leader has ~16,000 sales placing his earnings in the $250,000 – $1,000,000 range (green paw). However if I sold 24,950 items for $2 each, I would handily become the new ‘Top Author’ but with earnings in the $10,000 – $50,000 range (silver paw). This demonstrates how the author leadership metrics are biased toward volume over value.

Counter Example

So what if we filter only by silver paws? The high-volume author comes out on top again selling $2 items. A new author sells $100 items, but at most he can sell 499 items before his ‘silver paw’ becomes a ‘gold paw’. The ranking system puts 24,950 sales ahead of 499 sales, even though both authors earned exactly $49,900.

When the $100 author makes one more sale (500 total) his ‘Top Author’ status judgement is against ‘gold paw’ authors, and the current leader has ~4600 items sold. The high price of his items means he can never realistically make the ‘Top Author’ list anywhere from orange to green paw.

Caveat: You sell over 16,000 items putting your earnings at $1.6 million. Then you’re considered the ‘Top Author’ and only then.

Car Dealership Comparison

Imagine Envato is a combo Ford/Ferrari car dealership, and every month the manager nominates its best salesman. An employee sells 12 Fords per month. Another employee sells 1 Ferrari per month. They both brought in the same amount of money for the dealership from different types of customers, but the manager only recognizes the success of the Ford salesman.

Imagine being the Ferrari salesman. Even if you had an outstanding month and sold 11 Ferraris the boss still snubs you.

Attn: Naysayers

Many people selling items with low-price points will not want to see the current system disappear. I don’t either. I want both statistics available. ‘Top Authors’ as calculated does not necessarily mean top authors, in some ways yes but in others no.

The current sorting is rather odd anyway. Paws are given by dollars earned not items sold, but the top authors are sorted by items sold not dollars earned. Logically shouldn’t it have been reversed all along?

Aside

I recognize that being a ‘Top Author’ does not equate success or guarantee quality or higher sales. However I have browsed the portfolio of many members of that list that I would not have otherwise seen. Being on the list creates opportunity and not all authors have equal opportunity at present.

Conclusion

I’d like another filtering option called ‘Sort By’ with the options ‘Earnings’ and ‘Items Sold’.
1736 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

I would also love to be able to filter for top authors in a certain category.

3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
I would also love to be able to filter for top authors in a certain category.

good idea

1388 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Definitely a great idea! Devs should look into it asap!

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

It’s a nice idea, but honestly I wouldn’t consider this a priority. If I wrote out the top 10 things I’d would like to see changed or updated on the marketplaces, this would not make the list.

I would prefer the developers work on things like improved search, home page layouts, item categorization, author collaboration, item cross referencing, API updates, etc…

I’m not sure it would even make my top 20 list. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea, just low priority in my view.

Edit: Item discussion areas having forum capabilities or searching might be #1 on my list.

1611 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says
Edit: Item discussion areas having forum capabilities or searching might be #1 on my list.

+13465894, Collis said they’re working on a solution but it’s going to be awhile

83 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Cepreu says
I’d like another filtering option called ‘Sort By’ with the options ‘Earnings’ and ‘Items Sold’.
+1

Also, I want to suggest something too.

Envato, please read it -

There are a lot of features that people want to be changed/fixed/implemented on the marketplaces. But our suggestions are in different topics, so it’s hard to see the whole picture.

Can you make something like this Feature suggest list?

This is a great tool for all of us (and for developers too!) which let us to see the whole picture. People can rate each suggestion, so you’ll see some kind of priority too.

It’s very easy to implement this list into your Notes blog for example. ;)

643 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
GravityDept says

Thanks for the comments guys. I’ll suggest filtering the ‘Popular Files’ list by category too. While similar to sorting a marketplace category by sales, this would tell which files are selling well in a specific category recently.

@ Parallelus – That’s a fair assessment. I wouldn’t call it my #1 priority either, but it’s something I think about when browsing around. It’s also much simpler to implement than something like forums for item discussions. Bringing it up is the only way to get it into the roadmap.

by
by
by
by
by
by