1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Hi Envato, I was not following this forum until recently, but every day there are new threads about ’ Download xyz movie, watch xyz movie online’ etc.

They get deleted quite fast, but wouldn’t it be better to stop it then fight it all the time. It probably takes no manual work to do that, that guy (I believe it’s the same one) probably had template in some forum poster and auto posts here. So why wouldn’t there be a captcha for newly registered users on thread opening?

5559 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Most of these spammers are actual people who are paid to post on as many forums as possible with their spam. They come from different IPs and we disable their accounts as soon as they come in.

Spammers are starting to change like everything else. You pay some guy a few pennies a post to make an account, spam away and then disappear. Captcha doesn’t stop these kinds of spammers because they’re not bots. They seem to also come in waves. This month is the tv show/movie wave. Next month they’ll be paid to try something different.

There’s no 100% sure fire way to fight it, but we try our best to make sure it gets dealt with quickly. Thanks! :)

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Maybe, we should have it so the first or even first few posts have to be approved by mods/staff, I get they have a lot of work to do already but they will do less moderating of spam that has reached the public, plus you would have less threads that are about item support when this is a forum.

2028 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

Maybe, we should have it so the first or even first few posts have to be approved by mods/staff, I get they have a lot of work to do already but they will do less moderating of spam that has reached the public, plus you would have less threads that are about item support when this is a forum.

+1 or maybe first post + URL included = must be moderated

632 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

A simpler way is doing what is done in most decent forums, simply remove the linkage rights for the first 100 posts, plus good karma ratings, this way spammers have to at least post useful things so many times, which is a deterrent.

The karma rating comes into effect also because users cant then just go into posts and just say , yeah thats cool and that is a post, because people will know what he is doing and give him bad karma.

Shouldn’t be that much work, Ive developed things like this for Wordpress, phpbb and custom sites and didn’t find it to hard.

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

A simpler way is doing what is done in most decent forums, simply remove the linkage rights for the first 100 posts, plus good karma ratings, this way spammers have to at least post useful things so many times, which is a deterrent.

The karma rating comes into effect also because users cant then just go into posts and just say , yeah thats cool and that is a post, because people will know what he is doing and give him bad karma.

Shouldn’t be that much work, Ive developed things like this for Wordpress, phpbb and custom sites and didn’t find it to hard.

Yh, this is ok, but I find it gets annoying. On other sites I post on stuff gets restricted with stuff like I cant link.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

or give badges to users that report a number of spam messages – this way we all gonna hunt those darn scoundrels faster! :) I alone have somewhere around 50 killz :P

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

moderate forums? karma points? C’mon, the rating system which affects all the authors is broken and you hope karma points will be added and so on, which are useless?

by
by
by
by
by
by