2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
rjk2000 says

Hi. I tried to do a search and I read through the FAQ and example licenses, but I kinda confused myself. I’m a filmmaker who does short films on the side for the fun of it. I have a short film that I’m looking for music for. However, I can’t figure out if I should buy regular or extended, and envato support doesn’t answer this.

The extended license says it’s for film or TV. Except my film will not be sold or broadcast. (Any DVDs created would be entirely for the cast and crew, and given out free.) I hope to submit it to some festivals and then afterwards, put it online for anyone to see (probably Vimeo). The license agreement says regular license if it’s for a student film, but technically, I’m not a student filmmaker (I’m a long way from college age).

And this is a teaser to the film I’m working on now, in case you need to know if the film is legit or not: http://vimeo.com/33516027 (The trailer is scored with garageband right now, but I’m hoping to go with something a little more unique sounding for the finished film.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated—and I apologize if it’s clearly spelled out somewhere that I missed. I love a lot of what I found on AudioJungle and the prices are good, but I don’t want to purchase “incorrectly”. Thanks.

249 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
miksmusic says

Hi,

In my opinion, as long as you’re not selling the film, a regular license will do.

I’ve recently scored a festival entry for a Montreal-based filmmaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PThJqRXymRM

If you looking for a custom soundtrack feel free to get in touch – requests@miksmusic.com

Cheers, M

Appo_Productions
Appo_Productions Recent Posts Threads Started
55 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Appo_Productions says

hmm…to me it sounds like its just for personal use (given out for free to friends, crew, maybe a little festival, etc.) - so i would say ur fine with regular license. if it somehow becomes a hit, find the artist again to see what u can do about an extended license or another agreement. until then, i think a regular license will do.

170 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
solarsound says

I agree with Appo. Probably ok with regular license for now. But if the video goes viral or you start to profit from the video (Ad sharing for example), you would need to re negotiate with the author of the music.

2 posts
rjk2000 says

Thank you all for the quick replies. That’s what I was hoping. I’ve got five tracks I have to decide from (plus some sound files), and they would fit perfectly.

by
by
by
by
by
by