• Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Hey guys,

Keeping It Constructive

While we value everyone’s constructive feedback and you are encouraged to let us know how you feel, please note that encouraging fellow authors to, in effect, boycott AudioJungle will not be tolerated. You are very welcome to exercise your personal freedom to leave AudioJungle if you wish, but I think it crosses the line of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable if you are actively working against the community in any way. Thanks for understanding. :)

Putting Things in Perspective

I would also like to add a few things to this conversation which I hope helps put things in a little more perspective and answers any concerns or questions you may have.

• The person who re-started this conversation/thread has obviously got a hidden agenda. He or she bumped-up a conversation that was 9 months old. While there’s nothing wrong with that, it does come across somewhat suspicious and calculated and with intent to “stir the pot” rather than add to a healthy and constructive discussion. This is compounded by the fact that this same person clearly states that they are starting a competitor to the Envato marketplaces so of course they are going to try to hoodwink our community. :) Furthermore, the figures quoted in that person’s post are not accurate or directly applicable to AudioJungle and are intended to mislead. It’s very easy to try to convince someone through a list of negative facts (true or not), especially without painting a more honest picture that also includes the positives. That said, I will be glad to address some of the questions implied by that person’s post later on in this response.
  • Some of the authors that have publicly stated that they dislike AudioJungle and have demonstrated their dislike by pulling their audio content have absolutely every right to do that. :) No-one forces anyone to sign up to AudioJungle and no-one forces anyone to stay. You can take as much or as little out of AudioJungle as you need, but generally speaking, the more you put into the AudioJungle community and experience, the more you will get out of it, sales-wise, commission-wise, and exposure-wise.
  • We are totally transparent and forthcoming with the commission rates for Exclusive and Non-Exclusive authors so all authors know before they sign-up how AudioJungle works. So even if an author tries AudioJungle and does not like it for any reason, they are welcome to leave. I don’t want anyone to leave, but we respect the right of the individual to come and go as they please. Ultimately, the author makes the decision to sign-up and agree to what we offer, we are a service you are welcome to use to your advantage or not.
  • Authors always have a choice to sell audio as an Exclusive author or a Non-Exclusive author. You are even allowed to have 2 accounts, one for each license, if you wish. :) The price of being a Non-Exclusive author is a much lower commission rate compared to an Exclusive author, but you are allowed to sell your audio on any other Web site if you wish. This gives Non-Exclusive authors the power to be part of the AudioJungle community in exactly the same way as an Exclusive author is concerned, with equal exposure, promotion, and advertising and so forth, but the difference being with a lower commission rate. This system is in effect on all of our marketplaces as you know, which intends to honor and reward loyal authors who wish to remain and sell exclusively on our marketplaces. The attraction of being an Exclusive author meanwhile is a much higher commission rate from the outset, and with a much higher rates schedule, a potential of 70% in fact. So again, just to re-iterate the point, there’s always a choice, and we always make it clear what your options are.
  • It is with some irony that some of the authors who have complained about AudioJungle both publicly and privately to me as well as those that have removed some of their content from AudioJungle, continue to participate in our giveaways and competitions. To me, that’s a double-standard. On the one hand they are publicly declaring their dislike for AudioJungle, but on the other hand, they are still trying to “take from the pot.” This I feel is unfair to some degree, because AudioJungle is a community and the best communities don’t try to take-take-take – the best community members are the ones that occasionally give something back unselfishly. My point here is not to stop such authors participating in giveaways and competitions, please continue to do so. But I want those authors to recognize and acknowledge that AudioJungle is a community. It’s also an opportunity for you. Not only is it an opportunity to make money, but it’s also an opportunity to market yourself and your audio, an opportunity to find new customers and exciting freelance projects. It’s an opportunity to engage with like-minded and talented producers and musicians and to learn from one another and to teach one another. The more you immerse yourself in something, the more dividends you are likely to reap. By publicly decrying AudioJungle in a negative fashion yet still wanting to be part of competitions and giveaways and wondering why your files are not featured on our site, blog or on our other social networks, I think it’s fair to point out that there’s a selfish shortcoming somewhere. Again, AudioJungle does not mind that you still enter our competitions etc…, we are glad to have you, but should the rest of the community be grateful that you are still “taking from the pot” and not contributing anything back in a positive way? A pot that the majority of the community are still contributing to? I’m obviously biased because I work here, but I am also an author. And as an Exclusive author of a community that I am proud to be part of, I would be offended if some people were demonstrating the double-standard of lambasting our site and community on one hand, but holding out their hand and asking for something for free with the other hand.

Advice / Recommendations

Hand on heart, I’m always very sad to hear when authors decide to leave or even start thinking about leaving. I really don’t like to hear that. Especially authors whose skills and audio I greatly admire. But again, if an author has a personal desire to leave, I cannot prevent them from doing so. But I do have some advice I would like to make sure you understand:

• Don’t delete your audio. Especially in the heat of the moment. Keep it here. Why? Because if you delete it, you are not allowed to upload it again at a later date. My advice is to not shoot yourself in the foot because if/when we do make improvements and changes in the future that may satisfy your current concerns with our site, you will be losing out on potential new sales + profit/commission. You have every right to keep or delete whatever you’ve uploaded, but I honestly think you are wiser to walk away and keep your current content active.
  • I cannot emphasize this enough: Communicate your thoughts constructively and professionally. Not just on AudioJungle, but life in general. You will be more likely to be taken seriously if you are articulate and constructive than if you simply hide behind an anonymous account and spit/vent unfair, negative, and unreasonable concerns. We have forum rules that Support are very clear about, so please respect the rules that Support have established in he forums. This benefits everyone. An outburst of rage and possible regret afterwards can be avoided just by being calm and professional. By all means be honest and by all means be passionate, but please be mindful that this is a community of authors and customers. You really never know who is reading. A potential customer may be offended to see an unprofessional forum post from you which may lose you future sales.

If you do still want to make a “heated” point that you feel would be inappropriate for the forums, please write to support or write to me personally. We listen and read EVERYTHING that gets sent to us. We always have multiple channels in place (forums, support, site manager, we even had a recent survey sent out…) for you to contact us with feedback, so no-one can say we do not listen. I can assure you that we do listen very carefully to the feedback of all our members, authors and customers.

The Future

So having put that into perspective, please allow me to address what I think are the REAL questions/issues here. Please note however: I am not allowed to guarantee if/when any of the improvements discussed below will be released. By providing this information to you, I want to be as open and as honest as I can possibly be without divulging too much specific details to assure you that (a) things are ALWAYS happening behind the scenes (b) some changes take a while to roll out because of variables out of my personal control (priorities, the way our sites/backend code is tied-together across all marketplaces, time constraints / developer availability and so forth…) and© AudioJungle is constantly evolving and maturing for the benefit of customers AND authors.

How will AudioJungle be improved for customers?

We realize and respect the importance of our customers. We realize that audio customers need to get what they need much more quickly, and to find exactly what they are looking for. Improved search functionality, features and tools on AudioJungle are already scheduled/planned. It’s coming. Not all improvements will be released at once, but we already have improved solutions planned that will make it easier for customers to find author’s audio.

How will AudioJungle be improved for authors?

Please do not lose sight of the fact that as an author myself, I have a very good understanding of what is important to all authors irrespective of exclusivity. One main thing of huge importance: AudioJungle needs to be tailored differently than some of the other Envato marketplaces because audio is simply a lot different compared to other types of stock files (graphics, Web sites, video etc…). We have to ask ourselves questions such as, “What’s the point of rating audio files using the current 5-star rating system when customers should be rating everything 5/5 if they like it and purchase it?!” And, “Does a file that sells really well put off any customers from purchasing it because they might be looking for audio that has not been widely used elsewhere?” As AudioJungle matures, you should start to see unique solutions implemented tailored for the AudioJungle community that will be different from other Envato marketplaces. This is something I am personally very excited about.

Discussions have been on-going for a long time regarding author commission rates for both Exclusive and Non-exclusive authors. I can assure you that I am aware of how and why some improvements need to be made for the benefit of the AudioJungle community. I honestly do not know specific dates, but I genuinely do feel there will be some short term and long term changes ahead of us where author commissions are concerned.

One area I am particularly trying to improve for authors is to make it more realistic for Exclusive authors to attain 70%. I personally believe that the Sales Volume targets on our Rates Schedule can be much improved and made more realistic for the way that stock audio works and sells. Meaning, it would be preferable if we lowered the Sale Volume targets so that Exclusive authors can climb the commission ladder more quickly and more realistically. The current Rates Schedule that all marketplaces employ works for sites such as ThemeForest and ActiveDen, but not as well for AudioJungle presently. I want to look forward to the day that we have our very first AudioJungle author on 70% commission.

Will the price of AudioJungle files ever increase?

AudioJungle prides itself on high quality audio sold at very competitive prices. That’s why we have many different authors who have sold audio 50 – 600 times per file. Not many of our competitors can say that. I am a firm believer in “never say never”. One way of increasing revenue for authors is increasing the price of files, and yes, we do always give this some thought. We always look at our competitors to ensure that we are always ahead of them where quality + pricing are concerned. So a price increase is certainly not out of the question as long as we continue to be the market leader for affordable, stock audio. Bear in mind that the perfect price point for customers and authors is tricky. More sales at a lower price usually works out to earn authors more money than less files at a higher price.

Why is AudioJungle different or better than other stock audio Web sites?

How many other Web sites do you know that has 430,000+ members that get to see and listen to your audio each day? How many other stock audio Web sites gives you the potential to promote your audio on its home page, on a blog, in newsletters, and on Twitter every day? How many other stock audio Web sites have a growing community of authors and customers as each week passes? How many other stock audio Web sites have approximately 1,000 submissions a month yet still manage to process files within 7 days? How many other stock audio Web sites continually give back to it’s community with regular giveaways and competitions? How many other stock audio Web sites produce an iTunes podcast throughout the year to feature your audio? The list just goes on and on…

Anything else you can tell us about coming up this year?

Some things yes, but not everything. ;)
  • We will be running another Birthday Bundle next month to celebrate Envato’s 4th Birthday. I can’t announce specific information, but I want to point out that this is something that benefits our community greatly. It gives something back to not only our loyal customers, but it is also a way for us to give something back to authors too with a very attractive opportunity to make extra income. Stay tuned!
  • The AudioJungle embeddable audio player will be released this summer.
  • A new license is on its way.
  • A very exciting new category and opportunity to sell more audio is almost ready for launch.

These are just some of the projects in progress right now. There are many others that are ongoing that are either irrelevant to this particular thread/subject, or we just can’t reveal at this stage.

Again, we’re working very hard to improve AudioJungle for both customers and authors. It’s unfortunate that we can’t make changes happen more quickly, but I can assure you that many wheels are in motion and I can only request that you enjoy what we have to offer you already and to be patient for the important and exciting changes that will really help AudioJungle to mature. Let’s not forget how far we’ve come: AudioJungle is only 2 years old. In the stock music world, that’s still very, very young! We’ve gone from providing 10 second loops and sound effects for the Flash community when we first launched 2 years ago, to 17,000+ pieces of professionally composed and produced audio that is used all over the Web, on TV and in Film. Our brightest days are still ahead of us and I think it would be a smart move to stick around for the ride. It’s only going to keep getting better…

Scott sitemanager@audiojungle.net

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ma9sharp11 says

Hi Scott,

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed (euphemism for EPIC ) response. :-)

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Bulgaria
+2 more
djdarkstep says

Very inspiring. Nice one, Scott.

735 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
plastic3 says

Thanks, Scott! I’m sure that changes you talk about will make Audiojungle better for clients and authors!

876 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
AndySlatter Envato team says
Very inspiring. Nice one, Scott.

Indeed!

And I thank you personally Scott for being such an approachable, open minded and encouraging site manager!

688 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
robGD says

When I first signed up there was a deal laid before me and I created an account. Nothing’s changed since then. I took the deal. Would I like to see it be more possible to get the commission higher? Sure. I was on my way in here to see why this thread was reactivated, and I think you did a fine job Scott. :zipped:

241 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+8 more
BCrutchfield Envato team says

I agree with Rob, I felt like AJ was a good deal upon joining, GREAT exposure for your music here. It would be nice to have the ability to climb the commission ladder on a more reasonable timeline though, as right now it seems more like Mount Everest than a ladder to me.

Even with that small quibble I am already paying my cell phone bill with the money that I make here, and that was my goal of my portfolio here to begin with.

I think people would be a lot happier here if they made more reasonable, and easily attainable goals, rather than expect to make a living off of a single resource like AJ.

Also, awesome post Scott! It was nice to hear about some of the ideas the staff have about AJ.

-BC

76 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+4 more
soundroll-music says
Even with that small quibble I am already paying my cell phone bill with the money that I make here, and that was my goal of my portfolio here to begin with.

I think people would be a lot happier here if they made more reasonable, and easily attainable goals, rather than expect to make a living off of a single resource like AJ.

-BC

Someone’s goal is just to make music for fun or when you have time after the job, and someone’s goal is live by making music. And yes, what I want to do is only make music and live of making money only from what I like to do. I think it’s more reasonable. There are some people that their job is only making music and sound. Everybody has his own reasons and goals and interest in this place.

735 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
plastic3 says
Someone’s goal is just to make music for fun or when you have time after the job, and someone’s goal is live by making music. And yes, what I want to do is only make music and live of making money only from what I like to do. I think it’s more reasonable. There are some people that their job is only making music and sound. Everybody has his own reasons and goals and interest in this place.
+1
110 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+2 more
Catch22Music says

Great reply Scott, it makes me very excited to be a part of this great community.

I hope that one of the changes that are made is for non exclusive authors to be on a sliding scale, i.e. the more sales you make the higher your commission goes up, but can never go higher than exclusive authors (I believe this to be fair)

Looking forward to all the changes

by
by
by
by
by
by