426 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

As an avid envato buyer, I tend to leave a relevant rating for any of my purchases as I find its a nice way to show approval of a purchase and say thank you to the author

As im now an author, im actually quite surprised how low the percentage of buyers that leave feedback is

is is common among authors? or is this just me

8269 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

I think most would agree it’s about a 30% conversion… shame really. I’ve rated everything i’ve purchased, I think most authors do. It’s the one time buyers who are likely not rating…

332 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
vtimbuc says

70% of my ratings are from people who I ask to rate after giving support.

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

70% of my ratings are from people who I ask to rate after giving support.

Same here..

23 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in India
+2 more
codepoetry says

As an avid envato buyer, I tend to leave a relevant rating for any of my purchases as I find its a nice way to show approval of a purchase and say thank you to the author

As im now an author, im actually quite surprised how low the percentage of buyers that leave feedback is

is is common among authors? or is this just me

Some authors are purposefully giving low ratings to scripts they purchase, which are performing well with sales. And as you said, “low the percentage of buyers that leave feedback” helps them to negatively affect the overall ratings. Envato should do something find those users, who continuously gives low ratings to high rated scripts.

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

Why not allow users to rate on the comment thread of the item, then factor this into the ratings system.

So, Buyer asks a question.

Seller replies.

Buyer then rates the reply.

Lets be perfectly honest this is EXACTLY where ratings are applicable the most, and it could be invoked ONLY for buyers / seller to use. But everyone to benefit from.

Case in point: theres a little website called Facebook.

It relies heavily on a system of positive response. Click like to like , there is no negative response.

It is on every comment field, and is only available to friends ( buyers )

It works because it targets the exact comment at a specific time, not hidden away on a download page or in the sidebar.

This could be extended to a SUPPORT RATING of the buyer if you dont want to fiddle with core. Then combine the two if need be

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

As im now an author, im actually quite surprised how low the percentage of buyers that leave feedback is is is common among authors? or is this just me

To answer your question, yes it seems to be common and normal as well.

I have observed that rating numbers varies according to the kind of item. If the item attracts more users outside Marketplaces (through google search with direct purchases with +2 USD ) number of ratings could be less (even with brighter sales). Those who purchases through deposit fund (within marketplace search) has more chances to revisit the download page and rate the already purchased files.

Mostly the items with more impulse buys has more ratings (as they tend to rate the file immediately after purchase) than determined purchases . I have observed one of my item has 1 rating per 21 purchase while another one having 1 out of 3. So wide range of variable involves with ratings.

by
by
by
by
by
by