110 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Catch22Music says

I have just put together a very short piece of music, and am wondering how many watermarks I should apply?

The music track is about 8 seconds long, so should I just stick with one someone in the middle, or put one at the end and just before the finish?

Many thanks

2678 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

You should use the watermark once and as long as it’s used somewhere in your audio that prevents someone from stealing/using it without purchasing it, it doesn’t matter where you put it.

110 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Catch22Music says

Thanks Scott, that’s great.

496 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
JType says

Yeah, it can be tricky choosing where to put them, especially on shorter pieces. As Scott said, on an 8 second piece you’ll only really need to have it once, but often it’s worth just playing it by ear, so to speak.

You’ll want to have it appearing often enough that your music can’t easily be recorded and stolen, but not so often that it gets annoying or obscures your work.

One technique I’ve used on some of my files is to apply some reverb or even a subtle delay on the watermark, so that it lasts a bit longer and spills over the beginnings/ends of bars, making it harder to record, but also a bit less repetitive.

(Note – I don’t know how this is viewed by staff, by the way, they might want to confirm how they feel about it before you can take my word on this)

2678 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says
One technique I’ve used on some of my files is to apply some reverb or even a subtle delay on the watermark, so that it lasts a bit longer and spills over the beginnings/ends of bars, making it harder to record, but also a bit less repetitive.

Good question! :)

Generally speaking, particularly for music, authors should not add excessive effects to the watermark. Pitch-bending is definitely a no-no. Your file may get rejected if the effects applied to the watermark are too excessive. Not only does the watermark serve as a security measure to prevent theft, it is also an important part of our branding, so it’s important our watermark is used consistently and correctly.

HOWEVER , there may be some rare occasions that some echo applied to the watermark may be warranted. A pack of short sound effects for example may benefit from a watermark with echo applied so that the watermark is present, but not too distracting and obtrusive to the main sounds.

1123 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
SonicCube says
HOWEVER , there may be some rare occasions that some echo applied to the watermark may be warranted. A pack of short sound effects for example may benefit from a watermark with echo applied so that the watermark is present, but not too distracting and obtrusive to the main sounds.

Perfectly explained ! Just not sure if every reviewer is aware of that ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by