5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

We have a mutual client who has seen a WP theme on TF. However like us, he dislikes WP.

My question is a simple one, as the theme in question does not have a Non WP version.

Could the WP version be purchased, and the WP crap stripped out ? So we are left with a NON WP version we can then work on for the guy.

I have looked thru the src code of the WP version, and aside from various WP plugins built in ( not an issue to lose these ) it seems like quite a straight forward concept.

So is it as easy as that ? Do WP themes come with standardised HTML layouts that we could just re build and delete and get rid of certain WP elements ?

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

Having read on WP site, it seems totally dooable, just a case of fixing hooks and php stuff. May well give it a go.

362 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
codenegar says

You can convert a WordPress theme to PHP and HTML buy you will miss much of its features. e.g: Admin options and theme settings use WordPress settings API.

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
SuggeElson says

If template has HTML version , purchase it and put your own logic behind.

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

Theme is WP only. But thats cool, will buy it and see if we can convert. I absolutely hate WP overload, its ridiculous. Rather shoe horn in our own dynamic content.

Cheers Guys

329 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
cmoreira says

If you do a simple ‘save as’ from your browser, wouldn’t you end up with the HTML output already? Wouldn’t it be easier to edit the HTML output rather than the wp theme php files?

3185 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Wouldn’t it be easier to edit the HTML output rather than the wp theme php files?

it sure would. this is how we useto do it. if the browser save-as feature doesn’t output nice html try a tool such as wget (or other tool with a mirror option). much easier than trying to pull the html code out of a theme and removing every single php tag (because almost every bit of php in a theme will be reliant on a wordpress api call somewhere along the line)

now we run WP for everything – we useto be all anti-wp and do custom-only setups. but this caused lots of long term issues. maintenance / difficulty migrating sites / adding new features quickly / issues letting the customer edit the site themselves / etc..

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

If you do a simple ‘save as’ from your browser, wouldn’t you end up with the HTML output already? Wouldn’t it be easier to edit the HTML output rather than the wp theme php files?

Thats my point ( initially ) is , with a WP theme. Is it a basic html structure with just WP hooks etc thrown in?

If so, forgive me as I have no exp. with WP generally, so I am assuming, that there is standardised page formatting, to include pages / folders includes headers / footers or is that not the case.

Viewing src code, and saving result as html etc, would mean deploying on WP in the first place. Which kind of defeats the exercise.

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

As an example, the WP theme we are looking at , I have viewed many of the page src code. What strikes me is the lack of use of dynamic headers/footers based on page.

Example, we deploy a simple system, to call page scripts. js/css etc based on page being shown, thus we can output only the required js/css files for that page.

One thing that strikes me with most wp themes is that they do not utilise this sort of system, and thus redundancy and laggg..gg.gg.gggg is very prevalent, because basic site pages are firing 50 million js files and css files that are used in other page templates.

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

[edit] Mods you can remove this post, cheers

What was wrong with your original reply ? ( which I received via email )

by
by
by
by
by
by