• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
unseenbattle Volunteer moderator says

Hey guys,

I’m thinking that my tracks are not selling partly because of how difficult they may be to use for the buyer.

For example, I work with the technical team at my church running videos and other media presentations and things like several seconds of black screen before and after a movie clip with a fade in and out make a huge difference in whether or not a clip will be used.

So, my two questions are…
Are there things that I can do to my tracks that would make them more appealing to the buyer?
Are there things that buyers look for in a file that make it easier to work with?

For an example, this one http://audiojungle.net/item/sustaining-orbit/124020 I think came out well, but should I have made it come to a definitive ending and then included a loop rather than making the whole thing simply a loop?

If you could listen to some of the other tracks in my portfolio http://audiojungle.net/user/unseenbattle/portfolio and make suggestions that would be very appreciated. And if you hear something in one of my files that can really be improved on please feel free to tell me so I can improve.

Thank you! :smitten:

73 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+1 more
MD9 says

This is a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I’m sure that different options for loopability and such make a song more attractive but the question is the extra work really going to increase sales? For one of my songs, “Babylon” http://audiojungle.net/item/babylon/134157, I created 5 different loops out of the many different sections that are in the song. That one had a lot of variety so I felt that such loops could be really helpful. No sales on it yet though, hehe. For the song you gave as an example it is pretty similar throughout so it makes sense to leave it as a loop. Users can simply fade it out if they need to end it. That’s a very nice track by the way! Very relaxing, I’m listening to it over and over as I type.

Another thing I wonder about is the beginning of a song. Should it just jump right into the action or have a drawn out intro? I think for stock audio it is better to keep intros brief or not have one at all. That will depend on the song though.

334 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States

Hello MD9 . I like your babylon track… listening to it over and over right now as well! ;) ... I love the way it builds around the 3:30 point!

Since I started this thread I’ve just been concentrating on learning about mixing and mastering since, I believe, beyond the song just fitting for a person, the production of the song will make the biggest difference in sales.

My problem is that I do not have a high enough quality audio system to hear all the nuances in the different frequencies to fine tune all the stuff I’d like, so I’ve been taking any opportunity I can get to listen to my music on different systems and then coming back to them and updating them as needed. I also listen to different instruments in my flat response headphones, main system and then home studio system to work out as much as I can.

I also realized that one of my main instruments is piano (it is in every track of mine), so I invested in Tonehammers Emotional Piano ... it really is amazing and has made a huge difference for me in trying to mix the piano which was always the most frustrating part. You can hear it in my latest track called “Anticipation”. I plan on updating all my tracks using that piano VST , it’s just a matter of time at the moment.

By the way, I did the same as you with splitting a track up (my Deep Dark Thoughts track) to no avail as well, so just keep at it and continue to increase your quality with each track and I think we’ll both start seeing more sales.

:grin:

John

73 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+1 more
MD9 says

Yes mixing and mastering makes a big difference and that is something I’m also struggling to learn.

Another thing is that certain styles of music are more sellable. That cheesy, cheerful corporate music is always popular. A dark cinematic piece may be perfect for certain projects but you can’t sell as much stuff with music like that in the background of your ad.

So you spent $149 for a sampled piano? Aren’t pianos a dime a dozen? 5 GB for that instrument?! Man I wouldn’t even want that thing for free, it’s a beast. I guess if pianos are critical to all your music then maybe it is worth it. But I can’t see what is so great about that piano compared to the many pianos I already have available. If I am going to be that picky about my instruments then I should first get a lot more picky and professional with every other aspect of my music. From timing and dynamics to mixing and mastering. And you can make a catchy tune with the cheapest sounds anyway.

All these pro instruments can add up in cost pretty quickly. So far music composition is more of a time consuming hobby than a job for me. If I start making a lot of sales I will probably invest in more instruments.

717 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

So you spent $149 for a sampled piano? Aren’t pianos a dime a dozen? 5 GB for that instrument?! Man I wouldn’t even want that thing for free, it’s a beast.

Well, it depends how serious of a producer and composer you are, who your clients are, how good your equipment is and how much money you have….it all relative.

I will pay hundreds for a single plugin if I believe it’s worth it – you really do get what you pay for and there are always VSTi’s and plugins you just cannot get for free….also with over 5 TB of storage, I’m not really concerned with something taking up too much hard drive space. The ones that are a dime a dozen sound like they cost a dime to produce.

In my opinion, a excellent set of piano sounds is crucial for any composer working with diverse genres….from classical to indie rock, to techno, a piano can suit so many genres.

True that good song writing is more important then an excellent sound library, however a combination of both is what makes the difference between an orange paw and a silver or gold paw.

Again though, if it’s a hobby I totally understand your point of view, however if this is your profession, it’s worth investing as it will pay good returns in the future.

1147 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Agree with Tim on everything that’s said here. If you’re serious about it, then in many respects, it’s a competitive advantage to have the latest/greatest gear.

And, Tonehammer’s Emotional Piano is actually fairly lightweight compared to many other sampled pianos. And…if you were given it for free, I’m pretty sure you would take it, because it sounds pretty phenomenal.

Every major composer in LA has EVERY major library. They may not use them all, but they all have to be assessed, because there are always useful sounds out there.

That said, custom / live sound recording is always the best way to go, and also the most expensive….hahaha! Oh well!

As for what buyers like, it’s almost impossible to predict. You can never be sure from one day to the next. You don’t know who’s going to come into your ‘store’ or what they might / might not buy. All you can control is the quality of your music, and who it might be targeted at. For me personally, I don’t even think about targeting certain styles, I just make sure that whatever I put up here is of professional quality and then I wait and see what happens.

This is a bit of a generalization, but if your product is good, the people usually will buy it.

334 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States

Hey guys. I totally lost track of this thread. Thanks for all the input… very cool to hear all your thoughts!

At this point I’m lovin’ the tonehammer emotional piano and I’m also signed up for the logic pro master class http://www.fmctraining.com/fmc.asp?z=Sound+Design&v=Apple&g=Logic+Pro+and+Logic+Express&i=527

I am so excited! What a blessing… thank you Lord Jesus!

John :grin:

by
by
by
by
by
by