273 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Hey guys! I’ve been traveling a lot during the past months with live gigs and unfortunately haven’t got time for new tracks and AJ. Now that I’m back, I also upgraded a little :)

I bought a new soundcard (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) with which I am extremely happy…but I have some annoying noise coming out of the monitors (Yamaha’s HS80)...its this constant trash noise that you would have if all volumes would be on maximum…but they aren’t. Even at low volume I keep having the noise. Even without the computer open it’s still hearable.

Do you have any ideas on what should I do to get rid of? Are there way too many cables crossing each other around here? Or should I buy new cables for the monitors? Are there too many electronics next to each other? Are the monitors battle fatigued :) ?

Would be great to hear any tips from you guys! All the best!

840 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I recently reshuffled my studio setup and started getting noise, which ended up being that y wireless router was too close to my speakers. It would be worth a try moving things around to see if you can narrow down a possible cause of interference.

68 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+1 more
Beekirawa says

Agree with gbiasillo.

I too once had the same problem with my HS80m, this constant white noise / hiss sorta sound. Tried changing my cables, electric multi-plugs and all that jazz, didn’t work. In the end it turns out my wireless router was the main cause of the noise. It was close to the monitors. Now its gone for good. :D Might be some interference issues.

273 posts
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Thanks for your tip mate! I will try to do something like this as well, although…there’s not so many moves that I could do…I guess I have to just take out everything and carefully build it again…I put a big TV on the wall, quite close to the monitors not so long ago.I use it within the creation process so I wouldn’t be very happy to know its because of that…

342 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
soundtrove says

I have hs50s that were noisy too. I did a bit of googling and found the hs series have less than great power supplies and there is a business that does mods to them to eliminate noise and increase performance, but the cost was prohibitive. I solved the problem by plugging my interface (Apogee Quartet) into a separate power point to all my other gear. The hs50s are still not the quietest but a big improvement and at a level I can live with.

273 posts
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Oooh other than the TV, there’s also a PS4 somewhere nearby…( I gave my self away…I’m sorry, I also go for a FIFA14 in those small breaks between mastering a track)...Router is in the other room though :)

701 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

Check your electricity sockets for proper grounding or phase switching.

840 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I gave my self away…I’m sorry, I also go for a FIFA14 in those small breaks between mastering a track

Haha, nice! I had a hand in the FIFA games (animation tech) for the past few years.

383 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
Revturkey says

I write and record music in those small breaks from playing War Thunder on my PS4 :)

Turn everything off….unplug. One by one introduce things back into the mix. Check cables and connection likewise…check lights…down spots etc can be a problem with some electronics like guitars etc..?? That is what I’d try.

Good luck.

53 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
SketchpadAudio says

Just a thought, but are you running 1/4” or XLR’s to the monitors? Because, unless I’m way off, I’m pretty sure that using unbalanced cables to run speaker-level signal would be liable to pick up interference and itinerant signal degradation. I’d just double check that first.

by
by
by
by
by
by