23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
SoundFrontier says

What do you think is better? Having a large portfolio full of almost everything you have ever made, or a small portfolio with well crafted work?

59 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Honduras
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
carloscerrato says

I think it’s better to have a small, balanced portfolio with your best music. I believe you get noticed better by clients and you can have more sales of one item when it’s a good quality track, rather than having hundreds of items with only one sale each; looks better for your portfolio too. I’m in a one-track-per-week upload basis, that way I have time to work on my tracks and have clean ears and mind, and also have time for those days when you get “writer’s block”.

464 posts Think pink.
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

Consider what it would take to get noticed out of 50,000 tracks. 100 average ones that blend in or 10 awesome ones that stick out? A large portfolio of average work can turn into the problem discussed in another recent thread: http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/deletion-of-nonselling-songs-after-1-year/61786

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
SoundFrontier says

I think for songs and tracks, a smaller portfolio/quality is the way to go. But what about sound effects and logos etc? (By the way I would like to clarify that it should be assumed people always try to put out their best quality work). Does it count for anything when some one finds something they were searching for then explores the rest of your portfolio? Would it be helpful having large numbers of files then?

59 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Honduras
carloscerrato says

I believe sound effects differ from tracks and music. Sound effects portfolios NEED to be extensive so clients can find what they want and stand out from the rest. But I don’t think a 300 song-tracks portfolio has the best of the best an author can offer.

59 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Honduras
carloscerrato says

I believe sound effects differ from tracks and music. Sound effects portfolios NEED to be extensive so clients can find what they want and stand out from the rest. But I don’t think a 300 song-tracks portfolio has the best of the best an author can offer.

59 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Honduras
carloscerrato says

Sorry about the duplicate post. I’m writing from my phone and sometimes that happens.

821 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
gbiasillo says

I’m also in the small portfolio camp as I think it’s a better long term strategy for gaining and retaining customers. However, you do see authors posting lots: be it 1 a day or 10s of tracks per day. I assume the latter have back catalogs and are just filling up their AJ accounts. They seem to get sales on some but the majority have none. Having said that, I’ve only had a few sales and none for over a week, so who knows which strategy is best?

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
SoundFrontier says

I guess it’s hard to say since for the most part it is just speculation.

376 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
BigBouncyBright says

I think at the first time an author should have as much tracks as possible in his portfolio (acceptable quality, of course). Time will show what sells better and you can clean up some items in the future.

by
by
by
by
by
by