147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
JasonGraham says

Sorry for the quick thread derail, but how do you like that Little Blondie mic, Jason?

I like it. I have two, so I sometimes will do a stereo recording. But mainly I just use the one. I would like to compare it to a more standard small diaphragm cardioid to see how they compare. I used to have an Audio Technica Pro 37 but it crapped out. That prompted me to buy a large diaphragm (a Rode NT1-A), which I like, but not as much for Acoustic recording, so that’s when I got the Little Blondies. They of course capture much more of the high end “sparkle” of acoustic instruments than a large diaphragm and less of the bassy boom. It could of course be related to my room. I do see that a few others here are using the NT1-A and like it for acoustic recording. How do you like your AKG Joel?

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
JasonGraham says

Awesome pic Phil! How do you like it so far?

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
jhunger says

Sorry for the quick thread derail, but how do you like that Little Blondie mic, Jason?
I like it. I have two, so I sometimes will do a stereo recording. But mainly I just use the one. I would like to compare it to a more standard small diaphragm cardioid to see how they compare. I used to have an Audio Technica Pro 37 but it crapped out. That prompted me to buy a large diaphragm (a Rode NT1-A), which I like, but not as much for Acoustic recording, so that’s when I got the Little Blondies. They of course capture much more of the high end “sparkle” of acoustic instruments than a large diaphragm and less of the bassy boom. It could of course be related to my room. I do see that a few others here are using the NT1-A and like it for acoustic recording. How do you like your AKG Joel?

The AKG is pretty harsh on most sources. I’ve tried it on and off with my steel string guitar and it’s just not at all appropriate. But I like it on nylon string and ukulele – it gives it a little bit of air or whatever, whereas some of my other mics are a little dull.

After like 20 years I’m still trying to find the best mic/pre/placement matchup for a steel string. But I’ve mostly just tried SDC and LDC cardoid – the little blondies are omni I believe which would be a good fit for acoustic instruments, and at $120 a pop it’s hard not to try at least one. A lot of people seem to like them.

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
JasonGraham says

After like 20 years I’m still trying to find the best mic/pre/placement matchup for a steel string. But I’ve mostly just tried SDC and LDC cardoid – the little blondies are omni I believe which would be a good fit for acoustic instruments, and at $120 a pop it’s hard not to try at least one. A lot of people seem to like them.

Based on your recordings, I’d say you’re more than pretty close to perfecting your steel string recording techniques! Yes, the Little Blondies are omni. And yes, you can’t beat the price!

OK, now we’re way off track for this post

by
by
by
by
by
by