• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I’m busy working on a PSD template and just had a thought about the template previews on Themeforest – surely the previews should be watermarked at least? The previews are at 100% scale and high resolution, with no watermark. Just seems like we giving away a lot. Keeping in mind most of the template design is just text, which you don’t need the PSD file for anyway. I would imagine it wouldn’t be that hard to recreate an HTML theme just from the PSD preview alone, grab a few buttons here and there, and some icons etc straight from the preview.

I’m guessing sales would be alot better on PSD templates if there was a watermark. Either reducing the size of the preview to say 75% scale so buyers can get a general idea of the design but the preview is pretty much unusable, or have some kind of detailed watermark similar to the ones on GraphicRiver. Although the watermark on GR works for detailed graphics, but since it has large gaps in it, I don’t think it would work for minimal designed website template themes, you could easily brush out the watermark on solid colour areas, and buttons and icons could easily escape the watermark lines. I’m thinking drop in quality for the preview and a percentage reduction in scale would make more sense, so the preview would be unusable. I’m just thinking unwatermarked 100% high-res previews is a bad idea.

Surely PSD sales could be a little bit better, considering you’re only paying $10 for a well designed multipage site?

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Hey,

well, the accepted psd templates here must have very high graphic standards and complexity. I agree that most html and wp themes are made in most of their part by texts with a very little graphic around, but psd templates have a lot of layered graphic elements.

For sure stealing a psd template just from the preview would be a lot of work.

In any case a watermark would be something useful… in the end graphic river files are watermarked… so why not psd templates too?

Cheers :)

4358 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Yeh I think a watermark should be a given. But also my point for minimal designs with a lot of white space, icons on white, and some colour bars here and there. Basically to cut that up for HTML , you’d just flatten the PSD and create the graphics. So I feel we kinda giving away an unflattened PSD in the preview since some are high quality PNG images at 100% scale. So either a standard jpeg quality reduction, and/or reduction in scale would also make sense not only from a theft point of view but just speeding up the preview display.

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

Export it at 100% scale and than resize to 90%. The graphics will be useless than :) but you can still see the overall psd. :)

4358 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Also another thing to consider, I think buyers purchase PSD templates not necessarily to create a whole HTML theme from it, and in most cases the author would release an HTML version shortly afterwards. So since the price is only around $10, buyers might just be using elements they like in the design, like how certain sections were done, or icons or images that were used etc. So I definitely think since under this category we are selling graphics here, essentially it should be treated like GraphicRiver items and have at least a watermark by default. I don’t see competitor sites displaying their PSD designs like this.. could may be impacting sales unwatermarked I think. Templates with content on background images or gradients aren’t much of a problem, but designs on solid areas of colour with minimal layout would be at risk from some just using the preview and not necessarily needing to purchase the layered PSD .

73 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MihaiMarcuta says

Overall it’s a good idea, you mention that PSD templates can be stolen by using high quality images but let’s not forget that HTML themes are even easier to rip using specific softwares and yet HTML templates sell pretty well for a majority of authors.

I agree that most of the buyers purchase PSD templates to get some specific elements out of it, even though I don’t like it, I think that .PSD templates would fit graphicriver better. Most of the themeforest visitors come to get a fully functional template based on HTML /CSS or on some platform such as WP/Joomla so Photoshop Templates are a little out of place.

by
by
by
by
by
by