• Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Quick question – I’m assuming this is against the agreement we have with AJ, but is it an option to opt out of extended licenses on AJ, but let clients know (say in your profile) that they can contact you directly for commercial licensing deals? I’m assuming not because this probably violates the “only on AJ” part of the contract. Seems fair to me however to keep extended licenses and regular ones separate, because of the price/quality difference. (aka artist not getting ripped off like crazy)

Yes, and yes.

1. To opt out of extended licenses, go to your ‘Settings’ page, and then click the Item Licenses tab. You will be able to uncheck ‘Extended’ License on that page.

2. You can definitely put contact details, etc… in your profile and many put them in item descriptions as well. They are your pages after all.

502 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
JonBuice says

Quick question – I’m assuming this is against the agreement we have with AJ, but is it an option to opt out of extended licenses on AJ, but let clients know (say in your profile) that they can contact you directly for commercial licensing deals? I’m assuming not because this probably violates the “only on AJ” part of the contract. Seems fair to me however to keep extended licenses and regular ones separate, because of the price/quality difference. (aka artist not getting ripped off like crazy)

Yes, and yes.

1. To opt out of extended licenses, go to your ‘Settings’ page, and then click the Item Licenses tab. You will be able to uncheck ‘Extended’ License on that page.

2. You can definitely put contact details, etc… in your profile and many put them in item descriptions as well. They are your pages after all.

Thanks gareth, I got all that. But I was mainly wondering if it was a violation to AJs contract if you handled extended licensing on your own, outside of AJ. After further thought I’m assuming it’s ok. If not, there would be no point in making extended licenses an optional feature..

132 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United States
audiophile-trax says

The main problem AJ and Envato is facing now I believe is not that changes aren’t happening fast enough, but is that authors across the board are really feeling neglected, in that their valuable input and ideas are simply being ignored – and wasted. While there has been a MAJOR delay in many promises, the solution is not to ignore the issue. “Let’s just not talk about it, and hopefully it will go away” is not going to work for much longer.

And to bring things back on topic a little bit, if the price point and licensing structure is not updated in 2013, authors will be leaving AudioJungle. The world is catching on, and VERY large companies are coming here for music in very big productions. Price point is becoming a major issue. It’s not just about buyers, but authors too. The extended license price makes me cringe with every sale. Why? If some of you saw how your music was being used for $70, it would make you sick to your stomach.

Dear AudioJungle, I love you, but please, don’t let a camp fire of a problem turn into a forest fire because no one was paying attention!

If AJ doesn’t update the licensing system soon – and to do this they REALLY need to talk to authors AND buyers to get it right then yes, many authors, especially established ones, will 1) become non-exclusive, or 2) start moving their music elsewhere. It’s just the reality. The licensing system here is pretty bad and just shows a general lack of understanding about how music is used in the real world. Envato is losing a LOT of potential revenue. I think it’s less about the actual pricing of various tracks, and more about the abysmal lack of licensing options.

If Envato actually sat down with many of the authors who have long-established professional careers, and there are MANY on the site, not just the ones with lots of sales, they might find a lot of incredibly valuable information and experience. But, especially recently, there has just been absolutely no dialog whatsoever. Authors loyalty to Envato will only last so long.

What a shame.

Like many of the other authors I agree with the need for a new licensing/pricing structure as well as a PRO strategy.  I feel money is definitely being left on the table with the current system.   I have continued to upload some of my best work on the good faith trust that these issues will be addressed and policies will be adapted to the changing concerns and needs of the authors. 

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I really don’t want to see this thread buried without envato taking notice of it. Some serious points and concerns have been made that need to be addressed. Audiojungle has a lot more potential for it’s authors than it is currently achieving, and I think if the discussion continues it cannot be ignored.

2075 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Thank you guys so much for your input. These are definitely issues we’re aware of and working hard to fix. In fact, there was a plan a while ago that we went so far as to announce, but it fell apart (sorry!).

Garethcocker made a great point about licenses and the need to discuss them with authors and buyers. That really needs to be the next step. I’m going to put a short questionnaire together to get your opinions, both on pricing and licensing. With licensing what I’m most interested to hear is how things are different based on the audio industry.

I’ll post the survey soon and put up a link. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates and thanks again for bringing up these serious issues.

32 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
SilverHoof says

Thanks for communication with authors :) This answer gives hope…

132 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
audiophile-trax says

That’s great news Lance, thank-you! :)

468 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
FlossieWood says

Hi Lance,

Thanks for responding, so you do care!!! :bashfulcute: x

2075 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Just a quick update on this. We’ll be doing this in 4 stages.

1. Initial research of how we sit in terms of quality, licensing, and pricing – Done

2. Figure out if we need to make a change in licensing before a pricing change occurs – Begun

3. Discuss our findings with a small group of authors, including exclusive, non-exclusive, top-selling, and hobbyist authors – To do

4. Do a public poll to let everyone have input

Though we’ve started this process, we’re in the middle of a similar process with another item type. I’ll fill you in on dates when we have a better idea of when they’ll be.

563 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

Just a quick update on this. We’ll be doing this in 4 stages.

1. Initial research of how we sit in terms of quality, licensing, and pricing – Done

2. Figure out if we need to make a change in licensing before a pricing change occurs – Begun

3. Discuss our findings with a small group of authors, including exclusive, non-exclusive, top-selling, and hobbyist authors – To do

4. Do a public poll to let everyone have input

Though we’ve started this process, we’re in the middle of a similar process with another item type. I’ll fill you in on dates when we have a better idea of when they’ll be.

Sounds good, thanks for the communication. I and I’m sure others appreciate the efforts you guys have been giving the community lately as far as communication, seemed to be a bit of a uprising happening.

271 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United Kingdom
sweetwaveaudio says

Somehow missed this thread due to being away for a while… Very interesting reading and some great points. Hope this all gets dealt with soon. Good to see the wheels have been put in motion but I sense that us authors are going to keep going with this issue until something happens.

Audiojungle is one of the top royalty-free websites on the planet but as the competition grows, the the market leaders need to adapt and evolve to stay ahead of the game. It would be terrible if in 2 or 3 years AJ was down the pecking order in the consumers eyes. The old saying “You get what you pay for” comes to mind. If prices remain very low and with only 2 license options this site may be overlooked by a lot of people that assume its because its sub-standard.

by
by
by
by
by
by