• Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
mikemcalister says

Hello all! I just wanted to share with the forums an idea that has been floating through my head these past few months using ThemeForest.

One of the greatest things about ThemeForest and the rest of the Envato Marketplace is the quality of users and the workforce making this all happen. I love the simplicity of everything, for buyers and authors, which is truly unmatched in this niche on the internet right now.

I was uploading a template update a few weeks ago, when I started formulating the idea of a Premium User. Of course, it’s GREAT that the more items you sell, the more your commission, popularity, and sales goes up but I thought there could be something more for users who sell, say $10,000, or X amount items. I could even see paying a fee to become a Premium User once you reach X amount of sales. That could even be better for Envato because they would be making some money to keep the development of such an idea going.

It would seem if a user is selling $5-10k+ that they are a respected member of the Envato marketplace and could be trusted with some features that maybe a new registration wouldn’t have.

My first thought was a Fast-Track upload process. Say I have a really important update I need to make to a Wordpress theme. Although ThemeForest turn around times are great, it would be nice to be able to say “Ok, this one is really important to get uploaded” and check a box to submit for a Fast-Track review. Now because this is would only be available to a Premium User with marketplace experience, I could assume this wouldn’t be abused for just any ol’ upload or update.

Another thing that would be nice is a dashboard of sorts that displays recent comments from your products and a way to ‘Quick Respond’ or something of that nature.

I’m sure I’m not the first to have this idea, but I couldn’t find anything in searching the forum on the topic. These are just my initial thoughts and ramblings ;) but I think it’s a good start. I would love to hear thoughts from everyone on what they could use as a Premium Author.

Thanks for reading! Mike

171 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
myTheme says

Just a short comment from me: good ideas. I like that dashboard idea too. Must be very hard to follow all the comments if you have tens or even hundreds items for sell. I have only two so far so it’s not an issue for me, yet. But anyways, good ideas, threat.

250 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
simnor says

Hmm not sure really, I’m just about to reach the 5k mark but I don’t think I require any extra features if I’m truly honest. Maybe answering comments in one place would be a good idea but not really a necessity.

I’d say the reviewing time is pretty good in all honesty and I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable paying to use TF because thats what their commission is for.

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
+3 more
TPN Staff says
Another thing that would be nice is a dashboard of sorts that displays recent comments from your products and a way to ‘Quick Respond’ or something of that nature.

This is a great idea. I will pass this on to Envato. :)

82 posts
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
mikemcalister says
Hmm not sure really, I’m just about to reach the 5k mark but I don’t think I require any extra features if I’m truly honest. Maybe answering comments in one place would be a good idea but not really a necessity. I’d say the reviewing time is pretty good in all honesty and I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable paying to use TF because thats what their commission is for.

Simnor, I’m not saying it would be a requirement to pay TF for a Premium Account. It would, of course, be optional for those who would like to have extra features.

1080 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Kuwait
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Madness says

offtopic : luv the avatar

3203 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+9 more
ADG3studios Staff says
Hmm not sure really, I’m just about to reach the 5k mark but I don’t think I require any extra features if I’m truly honest. Maybe answering comments in one place would be a good idea but not really a necessity. I’d say the reviewing time is pretty good in all honesty and I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable paying to use TF because thats what their commission is for.

Simnor, I’m not saying it would be a requirement to pay TF for a Premium Account. It would, of course, be optional for those who would like to have extra features.

That would imply that to have access to premium features one would have to take a hit on the commission.. whether it’s a deduction upfront or a fee paid, it’s basically the same thing. It would also be divisive.

Given the established structures, I really don’t know how eager the seller community would be to jump on this bandwagon. I expect many would picket if this were implemented :)

The quick reply dashboard, however, is a great idea and sounds like it could be a fantastic addition on its own for everyone.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Yup the dashboard could have more useful stuff for authors, it just seems like a waist of space at the moment. Maybe it could be more like facebook updates, with stuff like “joe bloggs just made a comment on your file..” and show what the last item was that sold or other updates, like your file was recently approved or you just got a new badge etc

30 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
jernigani says

+1 I totally would appreciate the dashboard.

But would be apposed to paying anything extra for it. Envato already takes a cut, I don’t think there’s a need for us to have to pay for something that should be easily added for authors. Nothing against Envato :)

1125 posts
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
hansv says

+1 on the dashboard

by