131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

Has this question been discussed here yet? Essentially, having all the items in a pack listed separately for sale within the pack description page – at a higher overall price if purchased individually. (for example: 10 items in pack. Pack price $6. Purchase individual sounds within pack, $1 per sound; or something to that affect)

I’m specifically speaking of sound effects

Why do this?

Two reasons…

For the buyer, they won’t be forced to spend more for items in a pack they may not need.

You say: “But hey, that’s better for the author who created the pack, right? More money!”

Not necessarily…which brings me to the second reason:

As a seller, I’ve recently found myself in a little conundrum. Say I record my tool boxes. I can probably get 5 or 6 usable sound effects out of those – even more if I wanted to stretch it. If I were to upload all of those separately, I’ll likely get a rejection; reason: they should all be in a pack. Now that makes total sense to me. They really all SHOULD be in a pack. They are all very closely related. However…

Who exactly needs every sound that a toolbox makes?

Say I upload that pack. Later a buyer wants “tool box drawer open”. He listens and likes mine, but has to buy the whole pack. He sees another seller with an individual “tool box open” recording for $1. Hey, he doesn’t want to waste money, right? So he buys the $1 recording.

In essence, I lose because I offered too much.

How to remedy that? Well, record everything as usual, but upload the recordings weeks or months apart. Then you have all of your individual recordings; basically “sliding under the radar”. But that’s not really being honest now is it? Or does it not matter?

So what do I do? Penalize myself (to some degree) by uploading everything in a pack, or give myself a better chance by uploading single items individually over time?

To circumvent that, why not offer each sound for sale individually within the pack? Or to be honest, do away with packs (for sound effects) entirely?

What do you think?

677 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Poland
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
FxProSound says

The answer is simple.

- If you want to keep your audio sets cheap sell it as variations set. If your total time length is under 10 sec then it will be priced 1$. If set elements are close related you don’t have to submit it as a pack.

2086 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

You can actually (without cheating) upload all of your sounds BOTH in a sound pack and separately, if they are distinctive enough. But, a group of sounds have to be distinctive enough from each other in the first place to be considered a sound pack.

So, if your group of sounds is accepted as a sound pack, you can upload most (if not all) of those sounds separately as well.

If your group of files is recognized and priced as a variations set, instead of a sound pack, you can’t upload the sounds separately, but the variation set is always priced very low, so a buyer should not complain – they even gain way more than they pay, usually. ;)

131 posts
  • Taiwan
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

So, if your group of sounds is accepted as a sound pack, you can upload most (if not all) of those sounds separately as well.

Thought I had asked something about this before in the forum here and told I wasn’t allowed to do that. Gotta find it…

131 posts
  • Taiwan
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

Ok, couldn’t find where I read that. Might have been in the History section in one of my uploads with a reviewer.

So let me get this straight…

It is totally OK to go back to the packs I have already submitted and submit each and every one of those items individually? (not variations)

The reviewer won’t reject for reason something like “Duplicate. You have already uploaded this file in your pack. Sorry” etc…etc…?

2086 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

Short answer: YES :)

Longer answer: if you want to create music pack, you HAVE to have all of the tracks also available separately. If you want to create a sound pack, you CAN upload individual sounds as well, in addition to have them included in your pack.

Later on, you can even use HTML in your item’s descriptions to interlink your items. You can check some of my sound packs (bartender sfx pack, for example – no links here as it’s forbidden on forums, but you can search for it) to see how it’s done.

I hope this helps ;)

EDIT: After posting this answer, I heard some of your packs and I have to add something. Since it’s a very thin line between packs and variation sets, you should know that even in packs some sounds can be similar. For example, your bubble wraps pack contains both different and similar sounds. So be sure not to upload all of them individually, as that would probably be considered as a duplicates. I believe that’s the reason why your sound pack is priced low, because some sounds are similar.

by
by
by
by
by
by