426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

... im a total newb to the ‘premium plugin’ world, and have never offered any of my work out for sale but im working on a project and im wondering what the deal is with potentially seling a WordPress plugin which started of life as a freely available downloadable open-source (GNU licence)

Basically, iv expanded quite drastically a couple of plugins to suit my needs and also allow them themselves to automatically respond and work well with other popular plugins available (Nextgen Gallery for instance)

I guess what im asking is, if i modify an existing plugin enough, can I then repackage the plugin and offering it for sale here (in theory)?

Sorry for what may be seen as a silly question, iv been reading the info about gnu online but for the life of me i cant tell what the information iv read means in this situation.

366 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
RightHere says

Hi DannyLee

I would definitely not recommend you to simply modify an existing WordPress plugin and then sell it on Codecanyon. You can definitely get inspired by some free plugins. Maybe you don’t like the interface or you tweak some features, but it should be your code.

I’ve seen some people release a free version and then they sell a “Pro” version with extra features, maybe without ads and other disturbing elements that some people don’t want to see in plugins.

Of course it can be hard to be totally unique as there are so many plugins available both free and commercial. I would recommend you to look at some of the commercial WordPress plugins. That should give you a pretty good idea what standard you need to aim for.

Good luck! ;)

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

I sincerly appreciate your response

I guess i should totally rebuild it incorporating everything iv added maybe link to a demo to see if there is much like it

Iv looked everywhere and there is nothing like it on CC, its just the original plugin was much too limited to be useful to me and i imagine any one else

thanks again

by
by
by
by
by
by