24 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Luthdrix says

Hey everyone. I’m new here and this is a rather light-hearted issue, but I thought it was worth asking some opinions as it could effect sales.

Should you have a pic of yourself or a logo for your avatar? And do you think it effects sales? I was talking with a friend of mine who is all about the logo idea, but I see a lot of authors on here who are successful with a pic of themselves, which is great. Have you used both and compared sales? Did your sales skyrocket when you changed to a cool logo, or a sweet pic of yourself?

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

If you were an H-sized blond chick then I would assume that putting your picture as an avatar might have some impact on your sales. But as along as you’re a dude, the only thing that would bring you sales is outstanding quality of your items, not some cool logo or cheesy mugshot.

As I see it, putting a pic of yourself for avatar is a narcissistic urge of the ego that wants to be seen, which is natural but not advantageous in any way, and in some cases it can even bring more harm than good. See this post for example. Apparently these folks also thought that putting “a sweet pic of themselves” on the album cover is a good idea.

584 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says

Or, if your going to try to brand yourself as an artist/composer it might be smart. I think it brings a real human touch and helps one get to know the artist. But for the most part look at top sellers or top 50 artist most are just logos and it seems they are doing just fine. But then again look at who’s number 1.

If your going to go the picture route I would probably try to make it look as professional as possible, if it is just some iPhone shot it can look real cheap and may turn off some would be listeners.

933 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I’m pretty sure mine’s an iPhone shot :) When I was first signing up I needed to post a pic, and there it was. I figured I’d change it later, but then got nervous that I was already branded and it would affect sales. Which is probably silly, since we’ve seen a lot of avatar changes over time.

So I should probably eventually change it, especially since that pic was taken during my fat Elvis period. I don’t want to end up in that awesome list of album covers (thanks for posting that BTW, Art-of-Sound – that literally had me laughing this morning).

302 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
alkis says

Personal opinion: It doesn’t make a difference

407 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
illuminations says

I think in most cases it doesn’t make a difference but I do have to think that some of the super cheezy one’s i’ve seen from time to time might just give a general impression of unprofessionalism and could potentially hurt some sales.

24 posts
Luthdrix says

Well I think I finally made my decision to roll with a logo instead. I think it’s better branding through and through. And to satisfy my narcissistic egotistical urges to be seen, I may just put up a pic for one of my public collections or something haha! Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it. You walked me through a tough decision haha! And Jhunger, your pic is actually pretty cool, man. It grows on you. You may be right about the branding thing. Fat Elvis was still Elvis. Maybe Fat Elvis sold more records.

213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
vaisnava says

Who knows… some of the top authors have a personal photo… May help create a connection with the buyer. On the other hand, it may creep some people out. ;)

As for Art-of-Sounds response: “If you were an H-sized blond chick then I would assume that putting your picture as an avatar might have some impact on your sales.”

Come on… really… :notfunny:

24 posts
Luthdrix says

Who knows… some of the top authors have a personal photo… May help create a connection with the buyer. On the other hand, it may creep some people out. ;)

As for Art-of-Sounds response: “If you were an H-sized blond chick then I would assume that putting your picture as an avatar might have some impact on your sales.”

Come on… really… :notfunny:

You make a good point. Who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind again down the road haha!

958 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
Kurlykovs says

If you were an H-sized blond chick then I would assume that putting your picture as an avatar might have some impact on your sales. But as along as you’re a dude, the only thing that would bring you sales is outstanding quality of your items, not some cool logo or cheesy mugshot. As I see it, putting a pic of yourself for avatar is a narcissistic urge of the ego that wants to be seen, which is natural but not advantageous in any way, and in some cases it can even bring more harm than good. See this post for example. Apparently these folks also thought that putting “a sweet pic of themselves” on the album cover is a good idea.

Lol :D

by
by
by
by
by
by