230 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
Meshach says
Hey guys. We’re aware of some of the pricing issues. Originally, we were expecting more “drag and drop” type scripts; but we quickly realized that we’re receiving some fairly advanced components. Rest assured that it’s being worked on. I’ll make an announcement on the subject next month.

Jeffrey, do you agree that almost all items on themeforest are under-priced, not just on the PHP scripts?

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@Meshach – Not at all. It’s important to remember that increasing the price doesn’t necessarily mean more profits – by a long shot. The Envato marketplaces (and its authors) have flourished because we provide buyer friendly prices.

Further, our past competitors who charged more quickly went out of businesses.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@Meshach – I think once you start selling items here, you’ll come to the same conclusions.

125 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Eight7Teen says
Further, our past competitors who charged more quickly went out of businesses.

Ermm… I mean I know that the quality really sets TF apart from this competitor, but what about templatemonster? I mean they’re charging nearly $80 for a site template, and yet they are still uber huge.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

That’s true; but that’s not our business model. To abandon what’s made us and our authors super successful would be silly.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
To abandon what’s made us and our authors super successful would be silly.

+1

- -

Our prices might seem low but take a peek at the top sellers page and you’ll see why this business model works really well.

This week alone, over 31 different items had more than 20 sales each with more than half selling 35 times or more. For a WP template at $30, that’s $1,050 in sales in just one week. If you’re an author who just started out, that’s $420, again–in just one week.

For an HTML template at say $12, that’d be $420 with $168 (at 40% commissions) for one week.

Now, if you take a look at templates over the last three months, OMG . :-o

Most of them have well over 200 sales, many over 250 and 300. A $12 template that sells 250 times in three months will earn a beginning author $1,200 to take home. A $30 WP theme would earn $3,000 to take home. This is only over three months too. Sales will continue for a long time after that meaning an authors work will pay itself off several times over.

And, as these authors make more, they earn more (commissions go up 70%). Remember too that ThemeForest hasn’t been around all that long. In regards to Template Monster, take a look at all their item download numbers. ;-)

Anyway, my point is that looks can be deceiving but as many of our authors know, you can make a lot of money here because of the prices and business model.

353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
chack says

agree with jremick

Of course the PHP prices are too low, but Template prices are very fair. For authors and buyers.

You must remember that your template will be still bought a loooong time after that you finished it.

But yea, php prices doesnt seem fair.

342 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+5 more
reidknorr says

Yeah Jeffrey and Jarel are right 100%. Themeforest could be made into a full time job if you put in the time and effort for it. The business model and platform here at themeforest is 2nd to none.

360 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Philo01 Envato team says

@jremick

Agree, I think the prices for HTML templates and Wordpress themes are fine and are a great income. Just hoping the prices for php application will increase. Guess we have to wait till the announcement next mont ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by