• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
MD9 says

What do you guys think of this idea? I think Envato users should be able to rate items that they haven’t purchased. Now, I am thinking specifically of AudioJungle songs. I don’t think you need to purchase a song to tell if it is good or not.

When I say this I actually have a certain rating system in mind. Something like the thumbs up, thumbs, down thing on Youtube. It’s probably not even necessary to have the thumbs down. I think the 5-star rating system is problematic personallly, but this could even be done as a seperate rating system. The rating outcome could even be hidden and just used by Envato internally as I explain below.

Personally I just want a way to give some recognition to good work when I see it even if I don’t care to purchase it for myself, and I think others might like to do the same. I come across a lot of good stuff with zero purchases and I think it is a shame.

I see this as a benefit to Envato and its customers because it would be a way to highlight good work without Envato employees having to spend time on it. If the website used these ratings on a Featured page or something then it would give customers a way to find good music that hasn’t been used a lot yet. With the Popular Files section, all you do is promote songs that have already been downloaded and used a bunch. Customers should be able to find fresh tracks easily so they can have more originality in their work.

What do you think? Would you bother +1-ing other peoples work? Do you see the advantages of this for customers?

429 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
thesecession says

I usually just leave a comment if I really like someones work. Not a bad idea though!

301 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Reachground says

Nice idea. Though I think a community thumbs up would be enough. On top of that, implement a search option with highest thumbs up + last week/month might work.

450 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
D_Cooper says

Agree with you! This system would be much better than 5 stars.

73 posts
  • Canada
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
MD9 says

Yeah I comment sometimes, but thumbs up is easier and “most commented” isn’t a sort option or a great way to identify good music. Lots of comments doesn’t necessarily mean lots of people like the song.

I was thinking a bit more and I wonder if this would lead to silliness like people creating extra accounts to rate up their own work or having groups of people conspiring to thumbs up each other’s work. We don’t want that…

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
pwamm-media says

I totally agree with this sentiment! I JUST commented on one of Pinkzebra’s tracks that i thought was real nice and I mentioned that I was surprised that it had no sales. I then said there should be a rating system to ‘promote’ good tracks, even ones with no sales, to give them exposure. Thumbs up would be a good way :) People could come to the site and find this as a category ie under ‘promising releases’ or ‘have you heard these yet’ or whatever. I think it would be a real good feature

Anybody in site admin want to comment?

2088 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

And then you get people making dozens of new accounts only for the purpose of voting their songs… :|

443 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Latvia
Depard says

urbazon,agree! It will be new problem. But Idea is great:)

But voting option can be only for darkred paw owners or higher:) Than new accounts problem will be gone:)

1 post
cassiusa says

As a new user of Audio Jungle, I fully agree with MD9 ’s idea of a thumbs-up system. I’m a buyer, and one of the first things I noticed is just how long it can take to find something, with reasonably good quality, that I’m looking for. To save myself some time, I used the order by Sales filter, but as already mentioned that just results in the audio files that other people have bought. There’s a lot of really good stuff I’ve come across without any purchases and that’s a shame.

I know there’s good stuff in there with no sales, but finding it is extremely time consuming. For example, I spent this entire past weekend sifting through thousands of files to ultimate find 5 or 6 files I ended up buying.

Very good suggestion, MD9 . Thumbs up

58 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
ENMUSIC says

Indeed it is a very good idea, because the rating of the stars is outdated and only leads to monopoly, as the old search engine. It is long past time to change the site. +100500 A new deal with bogus accounts, and simply support the site very easy to deal with it may be, for example, ip and many other ways.

by
by
by
by
by
by