• Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Hey everyone,

THE VIDEO

I’m using particular’s layer emitter feature at least i’m trying to… as you can see in the video posted above the particles are not emitting from the emitter layer that I created, instead they are sometimes being emitter and sometimes being emitter from the last slide. It’s hard to explain but the particles should just make the shape of the text and float away. Does anyone know how to fix this?! All ideas are welcome i really want this to be fixed…

Thanks

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Are you using CS6 ? Clear the disk cache. IIRC there’s a known issue with Particular and persistent disk cache in CS6 . Possibly, temporarily turn disk-cache off… and make sure you have the latest updates installed, both Ae and Particular.

700 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Thanks for the reply felt, but sadly non of the things you mentioned were causing the problem. I think what I’m going to do is convert to cs4 and see whats happens. But if anyone has any more ideas I would appreciate it. (oh and yes I am using cs6 btw).

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

Maybe I’m focussing on the wrong problem, but the flicking on a frame by frame basis from one set of pictures to another smacks of a persistent disk cache error. I’d be quite surprised if it wasn’t that. What your video shows couldn’t happen if the emitter layer were moving erratically, because the particles are jumping from frame to frame too. An erratically moving camera couldn’t cause the effect if your text layer is also 3D.

I would seriously try emptying the disk cache again from the preferences and then immediately purging the RAM cache under the edit menu. The trick is to flush everything from cache simultaneously. If you flush the disk cache, but not the RAM , the disk cache is re-established wrongly from the RAM and vice-versa. I would be inclinded to turn disk cache off under the preferences.

Another alternative is to add another effect to the layer… for instance a gentle Tint. This will also serve to invalidate the disk cache as it currently stands.

Make sure you have the timeline cache indicators turned on and keep a careful eye on what they’re doing.

If that still doesn’t work, then back-save from CS6 to CS5 .5 or CS5 . There’s no point going back to CS4 , as you’ll have to reconstruct your project manually.

Let us know if and how you solve it.

530 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
yeremia says

I also experienced something like that using CS6 … when I did the first time rendering, no problem but when I make changes in the project and I do rendering again there are problems in rendering and preview .. There flicking on video preview.

But after I delete all the folders in CS6 disk cache, problem solved. This is because CS6 save preview folder in the cache and when we make changes CS6 read back cache folder.

I hope this helps you.

700 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

It’s working! Thanks guys :)

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

It’s working! Thanks guys :)

Was it a persistent cache issue? How did you decide to solve it in the end? (for future reference)

700 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Yeah, I had to purge my memory and clear my cache every time I changed something related to particular (layer maps, particle options, etc.). Turning off disk cache didn’t seem to work though.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

Yeah, I had to purge my memory and clear my cache every time I changed something related to particular (layer maps, particle options, etc.). Turning off disk cache didn’t seem to work though.

With disk cache off, you’d still need to purge RAM cache all the time. It’s a fundamental problem that the global cache doesn’t recognise the frame has changed. But it’s much faster to purge the RAM than purge the disk cache.

IIRC I think it’s to do with if you use a light as your Particular source and IIRC it was fixed in 11.01×12. Check which version you’re using, otherwise file a bug. (the link’s in the Essential Resources)

by
by
by
by
by
by