587 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says

Financial freedom and passive income is the best thing one can do for themselves and their family. I’m starting to see the light of this financial freedom and trust me it’s not toxic. Just to be clear, following a trend is ok, an exact cookie cutter copy of a top selling track is NOT ok.
+1 Bravo Sophonic! I feel the same way, initially a lot of my buddies thought the whole thing here was nuts as they claimed they’d earn so much more in a single gig than we make in a day, but then we make our money putting effort at the beginning then the money rolls in after whilst we’re sleeping, eating or watching TV (not carrying instruments around, commuting for hours and chasing club managers for our cheques). I’m not saying gigging is bad, cos it’s not, you a learn a lot gigging. But there is something to making money in your pajamas! Hooray for passive income!!

Lol, you can’t beat it, I took my family snowboarding yesterday while “Working”. I did the band thing for a couple years playing in front of drunks and idiots and getting home at 4am in the morning and its not worth the typical 100$ a man pay. Then on top of that you feel drained the next day instead of enjoying the weekend with your kids and wife. Wish I discovered AudioJungle and Royalty Free Music years ago.

607 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Lol, you can’t beat it, I took my family snowboarding yesterday while “Working”. I did the band thing for a couple years playing in front of drunks and idiots and getting home at 4am in the morning and its not worth the typical 100$ a man pay. Then on top of that you feel drained the next day instead of enjoying the weekend with your kids and wife. Wish I discovered AudioJungle and Royalty Free Music years ago.

Nice! Good to see you’re enjoying the New England snow. Just recently moved out of Boston myself… Man do I miss it!

I used to manage bands myself and often it would be a pretty thankless job. Like I said in another thread I started, AJ has become the best part of my music career and I love the fact that you can make the music you want, experiment a bit and see if the market likes it, all from the comfort of your home.

On the subject of the thread, yeah it sucks people copy each other but no matter what certain sounds are popular during certain periods of time. There’s a guy here who does beautiful classical music and I really love his stuff, but the poor guy barely has sales because that’s not the sound/feel people need in the market. Let’s be honest, customers come here to buy what they can’t afford to get in real life. Can’t afford Hans Zimmer or Coldplay? Come on over, we have something similar but not the same.

What I don’t get is people who do awful imitations of other AJ authors… that’s shameless.

709 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

MrLukeFor, good luck starting a new trend. Just because someone writes a Ukulele track does not = not being original.

Probably I haven’t been clear. I don’t condemn who follows the trend. Mine, was a point of view about HOW it could happen that a style or an instrument (ukulele above all) can be THE trend. I’ve just noticed that all top 10 authors, have THEIR OWN STYLE and after, lots of people follows them..so, what come first? The style (instrument, category) or the beauty of the piece, track? And how often does it change? Too much difficulties, aren’t they?

There’s a point that WHO MAKES music should do: Everyone has is competences. Clients, or most part of them, haven’t music competences, so the point is that WE have to GIVE the best solution to them, not the contrary

587 posts
+4 more
Sophonic says

I agree TortoiseTree, a lot of great original artist are here but this unfortunately this may not really be the place for them. Reverbnation, Soundcloud, and youtube might be better with promotional links to a album on itunes. If you want to be a purely “original” trend starter at least write some tracks that can give you a good sales foundation each month. That might also bring in more people to possibly buy your less commercial music.

607 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Probably I haven’t been clear. I don’t condemn who follows the trend. Mine, was a point of view about HOW it could happen that a style or an instrument (ukulele above all) can be THE trend. I’ve just noticed that all top 10 authors, have THEIR OWN STYLE and after, lots of people follows them..so, what come first? The style (instrument, category) or the beauty of the piece, track? And how often does it change? Too much difficulties, aren’t they?

There’s a point that WHO MAKES music should do: Everyone has is competences. Clients, or most part of them, haven’t music competences, so the point is that WE have to GIVE the best solution to them, not the contrary

Interesting point, admittedly most of the sales I’ve made here was in genres were I felt I was filling a gap rather than in the popular genres where there were lots of people competing. Most of my sales come from the world/jazz/classical categories.

I do see your point about changing the trend and starting your own style but that also needs to be done carefully. I helped a mentor of mine get his stuff up on AJ. He does experimental jazz with long solos, it’s fantastic, way better than any of my stuff but my jazz sells more because it’s more background-y.

My point is: YES! Be brave and innovative with your music and definitely make your own style. It’s a known business fact that most business comes from repeat customers so if people like what you do do more. BUT! AudioJungle may not be the best platform for the most avant-garde of musicians. People come here for the predictable… still be good and have high quality music… but perhaps have a familiar enough feel for customers to be comfortable buying here.

It’s like choosing between a fast food court and a chic new restaurant. The chic new restaurant might have the meal of your life or it might make you feel unsatisfied… but at least in the food court you know you’ll get full no matter what….

176 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
StudioLeBus says

Hey in fact it’s simple : you are in a market ! like in real life… even if you can make a reputation here it’s not a show or a concert… we’re here to make some money with our musical knowledge and creativity, and if what you neighbour do is great and sales good, you can try to copy it and to make it even better… But you have also the possibility to invent something new, and maybe someone will be interested… or not…

But what’s sure it has to be great quality ! and this is what’s motivating also.. because we are not just 10, or 100, but millions of sellers (and nicely competitors also no ?!) here… :)

just my two cents

587 posts
+4 more
Sophonic says

Sometimes people are going to accidentally have something that sounds exactly the same and maybe we can be to quick to accuse them. Check out something funny in the first page of corporate category. Lets see if anyone notices, and with a 12 plus day review process there is no way this could be deliberate. (Hint) you will here it instantly, so don’t waste more than 5 seconds on each of the two. At this time the 2 tracks i’m talking about are just more than half way down. There is also a cookie cutter bonus, but I’m not going to call it out.

176 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
StudioLeBus says

Hehehe !! Funny or sad i don’t know… This is the problem with all the plug-in and pattern and samples we can find.. sometimes we just use the same !!

607 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Sometimes people are going to accidentally have something that sounds exactly the same and maybe we can be to quick to accuse them. Check out something funny in the first page of corporate category. Lets see if anyone notices, and with a 12 plus day review process there is no way this could be deliberate. (Hint) you will here it instantly, so don’t waste more than 5 seconds on each of the two. At this time the 2 tracks i’m talking about are just more than half way down. There is also a cookie cutter bonus, but I’m not going to call it out.

That is crazy! Initially I thought… oh yeah I might hear the same chords or instrumentation but OMG… to think they are right next to each other!! I actually thought I’d clicked on the same link twice… Thanks man… that made my day!

LightLotusProduction
LightLotusProduction Recent Posts Threads Started
290 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LightLotusProduction says

That was really mind-blowing! Very interesting, thanks for pointing it out :)

by
by
by
by
by
by