779 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

Think there is a big difference between what you are doing on purpose, and what happens on its own. Speaking of the original, we can say that we did not invent music, different passages and solutions ….already have all thought out, long ago … Our only “loophole” – an original sound design, character and handwriting game, ?reating your own sound picture… And speaking of the uniqueness in the AJ,on my opinion, there is not more 30% original tracks, the rest – the interpretation of the previously heard… And in my portfolio – including ….

213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
vaisnava says

I guess the point of my initial post was whether there is less sensitivity toward closely matching another AJ item than there would be closely matching a huge radio hit or well-known film score. Or is that just part of the culture of a marketplace like this where we are all chasing the same buyers who show us what they want when they spend their money?

The only thing that I believe really matters is your personal moral opinion. Some people would think it is wrong and bad to mimic someone else’s work solely for $ and not for the authenticity, and others believe that it is entirely fair game to be as competitive as possible. I myself am in the first category, but I realize a lot of people enjoy competition and challenge, something which feels almost toxic to me at times.

Who knows…

2040 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

I guess the point of my initial post was whether there is less sensitivity toward closely matching another AJ item than there would be closely matching a huge radio hit or well-known film score. Or is that just part of the culture of a marketplace like this where we are all chasing the same buyers who show us what they want when they spend their money?

+1

The only thing that I believe really matters is your personal moral opinion. Some people would think it is wrong and bad to mimic someone else’s work solely for $ and not for the authenticity, and others believe that it is entirely fair game to be as competitive as possible. I myself am in the first category, but I realize a lot of people enjoy competition and challenge, something which feels almost toxic to me at times.

Who knows…
708 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

I totally agree with pinkzebra and the point of thread. I just want to make all those authors that “copy” all the best sellers tracks..Remeber that also those tracks before became “best sellers” (or, if you want, all world of music and artists) were NOVEL IDEA (and artists ADD SOMETHING NEW in their style) and THEN became ICON, and everybody trying to follow those models..so..there are some some authors like me that want to risk creating tracks ORIGINAL detaching myself with the TREND of the moment and trying create mine..what I mean is, everybody knows that a COMMERCIAL will work well with an ukulele track, but it will be lack of originality.. (just an example) ;) so the question is..HOW CONSUMER (USERS) WANT TO RISK?

1050 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Nice thread guys…interesting

1556 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says

I totally agree with pinkzebra and the point of thread. I just want to make all those authors that “copy” all the best sellers tracks..Remeber that also those tracks before became “best sellers” (or, if you want, all world of music and artists) were NOVEL IDEA (and artists ADD SOMETHING NEW in their style) and THEN became ICON, and everybody trying to follow those models..so..there are some some authors like me that want to risk creating tracks ORIGINAL detaching myself with the TREND of the moment and trying create mine..what I mean is, everybody knows that a COMMERCIAL will work well with an ukulele track, but it will be lack of originality.. (just an example) ;) so the question is..HOW CONSUMER (USERS) WANT TO RISK?

You make a very good point here! But it is very hard to start a new trend

701 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
+5 more
PaBlikMM says

Hi guys, i´m a newbie to AudioJungle but not in the music industry. :)

One thing i like to say is – its all about the customer. In my 20 years proffesion life as a freelance “custom music composer” i met a lot of customers from singers, bands and big companies :)

One thing they have common – we want you to compose an original piece of music for our project (Movies, video games, commercials … ) but we want to sound that music LIKE … !

Its all about the trends the mass media (TV, movie production etc. ) “set”. Every corporate feel music starts with an delayed muted guitar, some bells or Coldplay phrased piano :) Every epic trailer contains this repeating Zimmer low staccato strings and epic horns … :) And the soundbank developers like NI are following this trends (for ex. the Action strings for Kontakt )

I hope you can understad what i mean (well a i have to apologize for my english – i´m from Czech republic :).

The point is, if we want to have our music get heard (and sell) we have to follow those trends – or stand out of the crowd and do it just for fun, home, after our regular jobs:)

One examle for all – Django Unchained was nominated for some awards … the new trend for this year (at least) will be a modern western music :D So let´s start write some – customers may want it :) I´ve already started. :)

Keep on rocking and make some great music!

CHA!

708 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

You make a very good point here! But it is very hard to start a new trend

;) yes, there’s no answer at all..

584 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Sophonic says

MrLukeFor, good luck starting a new trend. Just because someone writes a Ukulele track does not = not being original. I am doing audiojungle mostly for financial reasons and my goal is to double, triple what I make the previous month. Some of the top guys say it’s common in the music industry to have clients say “I want it to sound like….” so obviously unless you plan on becoming some famous touring artist, financially it’s good to stick with trends with your own original twist on it.

Some people on this thread are trying to make it sound like if someone writes a trending type of music they are just non-original and there is something wrong with them. Wrong,, they are smart and I look up to them, they know how to play this game. Financial freedom and passive income is the best thing one can do for themselves and their family. I’m starting to see the light of this financial freedom and trust me it’s not toxic.

Just to be clear, following a trend is ok, an exact cookie cutter copy of a top selling track is NOT ok.

606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Financial freedom and passive income is the best thing one can do for themselves and their family. I’m starting to see the light of this financial freedom and trust me it’s not toxic. Just to be clear, following a trend is ok, an exact cookie cutter copy of a top selling track is NOT ok.

+1 Bravo Sophonic! I feel the same way, initially a lot of my buddies thought the whole thing here was nuts as they claimed they’d earn so much more in a single gig than we make in a day, but then we make our money putting effort at the beginning then the money rolls in after whilst we’re sleeping, eating or watching TV (not carrying instruments around, commuting for hours and chasing club managers for our cheques). I’m not saying gigging is bad, cos it’s not, you a learn a lot gigging. But there is something to making money in your pajamas! Hooray for passive income!!

by
by
by
by
by
by