88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
GarryONeal says

This gets talked about every so often, changes are hinted at, and things continue as they were. When you’ve got a new track that has sold, say, twice, and one of the two buyers, for whatever reason, gives it a three star rating (even though he or she liked it enough to buy it), the damage is done. You’ve got a low selling track with a diminished rating. One of my Christmas tracks had a nice run of sales last season, with no ratings until the very last when somebody decided to rate it three stars. Thanks. I’m sure that will hurt sales this year.

A system that allows one person’s single opinion to to count as a rating, with the very public stars that go with it, seems misguided to me. In lieu of a different system altogether, a greater amount of votes should be required before a rating is displayed.

It’s past time for this to be fixed.

Garry O’Neal

174 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
BlueLionMusic says

+1

Glad you brought this up again. I’ve experienced an item even getting a 1 star rating (probably slip up of the mouse of some kind I’m sure). Works well with themeforest perhaps but imho not with AJ where there really isn’t anything to rate.

Willow_Branch_Music
Willow_Branch_Music Recent Posts
Threads Started
49 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Willow_Branch_Music says

+1

I would also say that some buyers are actually motivated to give low stars! Why? Because they can help the odds to have an off-the-beaten-path track that less people will have. Lets face it, no one wants to show up at the party with the same shirt as someone else. Familiarity of a track can be a bad thing. For example if say Walgreens has an extended license on some Envato intellectual property, why not rate it low to help secure the obscurity and anonymity of the piece…so that CVS doesn’t come along and have it as the same corporate identity! The buyer has nothing to loose buy rating low, and nothing to gain by rating high. This is especially true for items which have low sales numbers (which buyers are also privy to). I suggest there be author set prices for one time exclusive licenses, this would attract buyers who need to have a one of a kind work for hire type of license item. This is a huge missed market just waiting to be tapped. You are also insulting the buyer who say loves a 3 star track. The system looks good on paper and thats about where it ends. I give it three stars, nah two… no one. Yeah one is better for me. Anybody else?

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

++++++++1 +++++++++1 ++++++++++++1

Maybe if we get a few hundred or thousand authors to complain on this thread AJ will take the issue seriously! It can’t take more than removing a few lines of code to remove the awful star rating system from AJ.

627 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Spain
Allegro120 says

+1 To me the same thing case to GarryONeal, I have a Christmas theme and sold much, and a “child”, sold well, suddenly a bad punctuation and no longer sold. It is unfortunate. Also discredits the author and to both Envato.

This must change now or known publicly who you voted.

657 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
ZtarrZound says

Here’s a thread created by a guy who’s been making suggested improvements for over two years now.

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/rating-system/68937?page=1

Needless to say, I see no reason at all to be optimistic about something happening soon with this. Hope I’m wrong.

565 posts
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I agree, we work way too hard on our music to have one bad rating which may even be a mistake on the customers part ruin everything. When I shop on sites and see a low rating on something I am instantly turned off from product.

Customers hear exactly what they are getting, this is a totally pointless system. If the song is good for A.J. it will get sales which looks better to customer then a star rating.

360 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
musicguy says

+1 to change rating system

If only one negative rating is damaging your very important track – which otherwise had good sales – I suggest you to buy your own track and rate it yourself.

Or make a pact with other author with the same problem and loose only half of the money.

565 posts
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

Just checked the folk/acoustic section and halfway down someone got nailed with a 2 star rating. It only had one purchase with one rating. I have a feeling maybe customer thought he was giving 4 stars and and clicked the 4th star from right thinking it meant 4. Now sales will probably be affected. If the customer listened and the reviewer made sure the files matched the preview file exactly there is really no reason for a low rating..

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

The rating system is pretty stupid. It should have been scrapped long ago. If there is going to be a rating system at all then it should be of the Youtube +1 / -1 variety and not this daft star rating thing. But I’d prefer no rating system at all because the vast majority of authors, especially top-selling ones, 90% and in some cases 100% of their portfolio are 5-star ratings anyway, so it’s not making it any easier for the buyer to differentiate between one track and another.

by
by
by
by
by
by