336 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Tamixes says

Okay, so I’ve learnt a never to be repeated lesson.

My iMac had a kernel panic which was the result of bulging capacitors. I managed to back up my files, and I didn’t worry about my apps ‘cos I’d just re-install them, right…

fail. I started working on a project and I was ready to sit back and watch the magic happen when I realised I’d not backed up any of my photoshop actions… So instead of watching the magic happen, I had a kernel panic.

Now I’ve realised that I also never backed up any of my layer styles or actions I’d been working on AAAARGH !

Lesson learned. To hopefully spare any of you the lesson – don’t forget to back up your layer styles, actions, color palettes and gradients.

1236 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
HarveyDesign says

I always forget to backup my photoshop styles/actions and my browser bookmarks lol :( Sucks.

336 posts
+4 more
Tamixes says

I think I can also add psd brushes to the list… although I’ve backed up some of mine.

371 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
ibib says

Man I’ve just repaired my iMac after a huge mistake that I did. And I didn’t had any back-up at all. So I understand you…

But as you said : Lesson learned.

58 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
Woofy31 says
I always forget to backup my photoshop styles/actions and my browser bookmarks lol :( Sucks.

You should use XMarks for browser bookmarks :) Not only it synchronizes the bookmarks between browsers, but it also stores them online. It’s definitely a live saver for me.

2660 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

What? Macs have problems?! OH NOEEEES !!!

sorry, really baffled me there. Me being a simple laptop/pc user… I get that all the time, microsoft having fun, you know the drill… I’ve went through that, AND more about 5 times in a year… but by the sixth time, I conceived a checklist with items that need to be backed up, and even bought a memory stick dedicated only to such minor and apparently non-important items. Never have the patience to do it, but I force myself, since it’s not even funny anymore…

Good luck with the mac, and file recovery, and hope you get spared in the future :D

336 posts
+4 more
Tamixes says

I was lulled into a false sense of security as my faithful Mac has run without a single problem in 4 years. I think that part of the problem is the result of our wonderful (and only) supplier of energy in this country.

In the past 2 weeks we’ve had a a mix of power surges, power dips and power failures – the power dips are the ones that have done the damage (I had both of my Macs go down on the same day and that’s when I realised that the problem was something else). We’ve been struck by lightning a few times (7 or 8 times at least..) so we’re kitted out with surge protectors, but they don’t protect against power dips (another lesson I learnt this week)

336 posts
+4 more
Tamixes says
You should use XMarks for browser bookmarks :) Not only it synchronizes the bookmarks between browsers, but it also stores them online. It’s definitely a live saver for me.

Thanks, I’ll definately check it out! I love my bookmarks!

2241 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says

I have a profile folder now, which I constantly update.. (since I have a whole structured bookmark-tree in firefox..)

73 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
cdutson says

at least any that you’ve submitted to the Envato Marketplace(s) are retrievable… assuming of course you had submitted any for selling.

That does suck though. pat on the shoulder

by
by
by
by
by
by