8 posts
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
IcoBG says

Hi!

I’m thinking of buying a new PC. My budget is somewhere around 700$. I don’t know almost nothing in the hardware part, so I’m asking you here. The main reason to buy new PC is to render much faster my projects and more freedom in a matter of possibilities and experimenting with Cinema 4D, and so on. I was advised to buy these:

• CPU : I7-3770/3.4G/8M/BOX/LGA1155;
  • GPU : Palit GTX660 2GB D5
  • RAM : CORSAIR 2×8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5V
  • MOBO : ASROCK Z77M /Z77/1155
  • HDD : 1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
  • PSU :: Corsair 600W Builder Series CX V2

I still didn’t choose the case and fans. So, is this setup good? Is the motherboard suitable for this CPU and if it is actually, could there be better choice for small amount of money? The guys that helped me with the GPU said that GTX is the better choice than ATI (HD7850), because it has CUDA , which, according to them, is really good for rendering in After Effects, C4D or 3DS Max.

Oh, and one more thing: i5-3750 or i7-3770? I guess that i7 is more powerful and so on, but would there be any big difference in the rendering time and processing? If there isn’t, I would like to save money by buying the i5, but if that is not the case, then I still have the money to buy i7.

And final – do I have to choose the -K version of the CPU ? I believe that this has to do with the opition to clock it. I never clocked a CPU before and I’m wondering – would I need that?

P. S. My current specs (really comic and old):

• CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 + 2,71GHz
  • RAM : 4GB DDRII
  • GPU : NVIDIA 8600GT 256 MB (and I have another – ATI HD6770 )
  • MOBO : Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3
  • HDD : 320GB

I believe that I will find a great boost and improvement of the rendering time and everything. So… I want to hear your opinion. If this topic is not in the right place, please, excuse me.

Cheers! :P

1255 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

That’s good configuration. :)

Maybe you could buy more RAM :)

57 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
dfranz1 says

That looks pretty solid.

The only thing I would add is an SSD for your main drive to run windows and your main programs. Then you can use the 1tb drive as your main storage. An SSD is night and day from a regular hard drive. Also if you can squeeze 16gb more RAM in there for a total of 32gb that would be noticeable too especially when working on complex scenes.

That may put you a little over the $700 but I would say it is worth it.

1255 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

That looks pretty solid.

The only thing I would add is an SSD for your main drive to run windows and your main programs. Then you can use the 1tb drive as your main storage. An SSD is night and day from a regular hard drive. Also if you can squeeze 16gb more RAM in there for a total of 32gb that would be noticeable too especially when working on complex scenes.

That may put you a little over the $700 but I would say it is worth it.

I agree with you! :)

SSD will speed up your computer to insane speed!

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

i recently purchased a similar system, did a bit of research and decided the i7 wasn’t worth the extra money for my usage so i went for an i5 3570k (unlocked).

you’ll find a lot of good i5 vs i7 articles, most of them include 3D rendering benchmark so the verdict may be different in your case.

ivy bridge cpus are quite hot so consider getting a good cooler

BF

1107 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+9 more
3alisha says

Good setup dude ! And really, the i7-3770 won’t need THAT serious cooling solutions. 16Gb RAM is enough, but i donno. I really like AMD graphic cards though.. But never really tried the new GTX :) All i know that AMD cards have less problems with VrayRT than GTX cards with CUDA . (that’s from personal observation). NOTE , at least in the mean time, rendering in 3ds max is done by the CPU and never the GPU , unless you are rendering Realtime (not production).

A note on rendering, the i7 is totally better for rendering, as it will render in 8 threads. An i5 would only render with 4 threads. Do the math, in fact i7 is twice as fast for 3ds max rendering.

But hey ! The i7 3700 costs about 350$ and the GTX costs no less than 300$, so your budget is too low to buy the rest of the cool stuff. Increase the budget, it’s worth it.. Or simply don’t buy the GPU in the mean time and install the old one that you have. It can keep you going for a while.

But really man, don’t buy an i5. Only an i7. And don’t think you’ll save and get the same performance with an AMD CPU , never. Only i7.

Cheers !

8 posts
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
IcoBG says

Thank you very much for your kind answers, guys! I really appreciate that. I’m wondering whether I can use my old HDD (SATA) and instead buy only the SSD or not?

ivy bridge cpus are quite hot so consider getting a good cooler

Erm… I thought AMD were the ones that overheat, but anyway. Does the CPU come with a cooler or I need to buy an extra one? Because I’m not exactly sure. On some of the CPUs in the CPU list (from which I chose 3770) there says “BOX”, while on the others – “TRAY”. I thought “BOX” is standing for cooler.

@3alisha, you truly changed my mind and now I’m not even thinking of buying the i5. About GTX660 – here it costs around 200$. :)

Thank you again and cheers!

897 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
3Ddym says

I have HP Z400 Workstation, it cost about $3000 1 year back. Now I’ve got i7 3.4Ghz, 8GB Ram, 1GB VGA card, It’s just $750 :). When I render 1min sequence, Z400 took 1hour, i7 took 1 & 20min. Just 20min differ :)

304 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
squaredWeb says

[...] A note on rendering, the i7 is totally better for rendering, as it will render in 8 threads. An i5 would only render with 4 threads. Do the math, in fact i7 is twice as fast for 3ds max rendering. [...]

That is actually not true since threads arent the exact same thing as cores. The difference between the I7 and I5 is way smaller than 100%.

Here are a few articles you might want to read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-24.html http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k_7.html

And of course google is your best friend.

(This is not to say the I7 is not a great cpu, it certainly is and if you have the money to spend you cant really go wrong with an I7 – but if you rather save a few bucks, the I5 offers amazing power for its price)

If you dont plan on overclocking your cpu the k model is unnecessary, the only difference between the two versions is the ability to overclock.

1107 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+9 more
3alisha says
That is actually not true since threads arent the exact same thing as cores. The difference between the I7 and I5 is way smaller than 100%.

Dude, when a CPU can assign a process to 4 threads, a CPU that can assign this to 8 threads.. that work at a sliiightly lower speed, it’s almost a 100% gain in unbiased/Bucketed rendering !

Cheers !

by
by
by
by
by
by