• Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

It’s been a while since the last competition, so I thought it would be a great idea to put another one together. I really enjoyed the out-of-the-box competition we ran months back, and wanted to do something similar. This time, I decided to put a twist on it and thanks to one of our prize sponsors, it was a simple choice. The theme of this mini-competition is all things Geek.

We’re accepting submissions in any of our categories, excluding PSD ’s. So entries will have to be working themes. Submissions will need to be a bit out of the box, with a geek spin in some form. Photography, Video showcase, Videogame site, Technology forum, anything you can think of that fits into geek culture will work here.

The contest is going to run until January 7, 2011. So that gives everyone three and a half weeks to work on submissions. There’s no limit on how many files one person can submit, but a file needs to be accepted into the ThemeForest library to count as a submission.

Once your submission has been approved, you’ll need to head over to the competition form, and submit your entry for judging. This will make it much easier to organize all entries into one spot, so this is a requirement. If your neglect to submit your file into this form, your entry will not be included.

Geek Out Mini-Competition Entry Form

Enough with the details, on to the prizes!

We’re only going to have one winner, and he/she will be taking home the following.

$150 Gift certificate from ThinkGeek.com

12-month subscription to Launchlist Pro – Astronaut Tier

Rules & Regulations

• Envato staff are not eligible to enter.
  • Files must be accepted into the ThemeForest library before 11:59 pm January 7, 2011 EST to count as a submission.
  • There is no limit to the number of submissions accepted per person.
  • Files must have a “Geek” theme, and this will be decided by the judges. If all of the judges decide a submission does not adequately fulfill the Geek theme, it will be removed as an entry, but will remain on ThemeForest for general sale.
  • ThemeForest staff (Site manager & Reviewers) will judge the entries.
  • Once your file has been approved you must fill out the competition entry form to be included in judging.
1799 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
BroOf says

Great! Finally a new contest! But what is meant by “Geek”? Nintendo nerd stuff :)?

2317 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Can we submit older themes?

And who are the judges?friends, family, reviewers….?

@BroOf, thinking the same thing, what excaclly is geek?

1383 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
wpCanyonThemes says

Ok imagine this situation:

A guy enters a room, on the left side of the room he sees a beautiful naked blond ready to do some things that would take her to hell eventually and on the right side of the room he sees a brand new Apple (computer, not the fruit). He goes to the blond, grabs her tight and throws her out of the room so he can play with the Apple.

That’s a geek.

Kidding. Anyway @Mark… what exactly is considered geek when it comes to themes? :)

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

The judges will be TF staff, all of the reviewers and myself. And older themes cannot be submitted, we’re looking for new files only.

And to dig a little deeper in the Geek theme. The term Geek doesn’t need to apply to just computers and technology. Look at it as more of a focus for a site. I’m talking something outside of the usual corporate or portfolio templates we see so often. People geek out over many different subject matters (technology, art, science, food, sports, video, audio, etc). The list can go on and on, but I guess what we’re looking for is a template with a strong focus on design, that’s targeting a specific genre, and pushing it hard. Of course buyers of the theme could easily change that focus by putting in content that better fits their needs. But rather than designing a generic blank slate type of site, and filling it with placeholder content, try to emphasize Geek culture within the actual design and layout, if that makes any sense :P.

Take a look at ThinkGeek and browse through their items to get a feel for some genres, or subjects that would also apply really well here. Some submission ideas could be (with example links…)

A technology blog, a video showcase, A food blog with easy recipe entries, Videogame reviews, Art and design magazine type site, A learning or tutorial based blog, etc..

The submissions can be even more creative than the few I listed above. Think to yourself “what do I consider geeky”, then build a template that focuses on that, and brings something NEW to the table. Trust me when I say, the judging won’t discriminate against your view of the term geek. I put the little clause in saying we can disqualify an entry, in the case that someone submits a Corporate template, with a slider and three featured boxes into the running. Really guys, this one’s about going crazy, and having a good time!!

Another thing I can say about judging, is that we’ll be looking at the functionality of the site as always, but abiding by this theme will be a major factor as well. A template that does it all, can still be beat out by a small template with a brilliantly executed design. I guess what I’m trying to say is we’re going to be looking for the small details as well. Take off your serious professional cap for a second and try to think about some really awesome or unique design, you wish you’d have the time or reason to make, and run with it.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

And yes, even “Nintento Nerd stuff would work here”. In my opinion, a Nerd is always a Geek in some form, but a Geek is never a Nerd. :P

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Funny – I just bought my brother some Xmas gifts from ThinkGeek.com yesterday… and the “Come to the Dark Side, We Have Cookies…” kitchen apron is on my wish list ;)

Good luck to everyone!

550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Fun comp. I might have something for this :-)

@epicera It’s weird seeing you all decorated with “Envato Staff” badges and banners. You’re all official and stuff ;-)

2317 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Okay but whats new, this month? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

New meaning between today and January 7, 2011.

by
by
by
by
by
by