• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Regular License
You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product can be distributed for Free.

End Product can be distributed for Free, really?

So I can buy a few CodeCanyon scripts, create a WP theme with all of them and upload it to the internet, so everybody can download it and use it for free? Really?
Definitely not. You can NEVER distribute the source of an item. You can only distribute the end product the item was created with. For example, if you create a free DVD with an After Effects project, you could distribute that DVD. ...

Thanks for the answer. But can we stick with the example I gave you? I buy a few CodeCanyon scripts, and I placed them all in a theme. Then, I upload the theme to the internet, with all the integrated scripts. Is this ok? If not, how so? It says: End Product can be distributed for Free.

I can see pirates creating a blank theme with a hundred scripts in it, so they can now freely distribute it on the internet. I think DMCA notifications won’t be heard anymore.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks, Fred

988 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

Regular License
You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product can be distributed for Free.

So I can buy a few CodeCanyon scripts, create a WP theme with all of them and upload it to the internet, so everybody can download it and use it for free? Really?
Definitely not. You can NEVER distribute the source of an item. You can only distribute the end product the item was created with. For example, if you create a free DVD with an After Effects project, you could distribute that DVD.

It’s understandable with AE project, but how could you make a website template with jQuery slider from CodeCanyon without distributing source of it? Or any CSS menu or gallery or whatever, anyone can grab it from the “free” website.

Also, as the landing pages explains everything almost perfectly, I think the change in the short description on item (especially templates) is confusing:

The “distributed free” suggests here what just “SurStudio” said.

It’s clear after you will read the explanation, but we all know how much people like to read these days that kind of things.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Regular License

Definitely not. You can NEVER distribute the source of an item. You can only distribute the end product the item was created with. For example, if you create a free DVD with an After Effects project, you could distribute that DVD. ...

Thanks for the answer. But can we stick with the example I gave you? I buy a few CodeCanyon scripts, and I placed them all in a theme. Then, I upload the theme to the internet, with all the integrated scripts. Is this ok? If not, how so? It says: End Product can be distributed for Free.

I can see pirates creating a blank theme with a hundred scripts in it, so they can now freely distribute it on the internet. I think DMCA notifications won’t be heard anymore.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks, Fred
Sure. There are a couple reasons why that example is not allowed. First, you’re not allowed to distribute the item itself. Just putting it inside a theme doesn’t make it okay. In fact, in the case of a plugin, you’d really never be able to “distribute” it. That aspect of the license doesn’t apply because things like websites are the “end product.”

This also breaks the single end product rule. Yes you only put it one theme, but you’ve given it to 100’s of people who will use it for their own end products. That’s not allowed.

Be sure to check out the FAQ’s and hopefully this will become more clear.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Definitely not. You can NEVER distribute the source of an item. You can only distribute the end product the item was created with. For example, if you create a free DVD with an After Effects project, you could distribute that DVD.

In my opinion this is a case where the licenses need to be marketplace specific. For example, in the DVD example above, it’s very easy to avoid distributing the source. But for JavaScript and Photos, it’s impossible to distribute the end product without distributing the source.

Because of this I think the “Free” clause should be removed. It will mean a few less extended license sales, but as SurStudio has pointed out, it has the potential to open a huge can of worms.

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Also, as the landing pages explains everything almost perfectly, I think the change in the short description on item (especially templates) is confusing:

The “distributed free” suggests here what just “SurStudio” said.

It’s clear after you will read the explanation, but we all know how much people like to read these days that kind of things.

Good point. I’ll look into getting that updated as it applies more to other items. As per your other question, see my previous response.

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Because this has come up a few times, I’ve added this to the original post:

I’ve noticed a lot of people being confused between the “item” and “end product”. The item is what’s sold here on the Envato marketplaces. The end product is what you build with that item. To be clear, you can never distribute the item itself, just the end product. For example, you can’t distribute the photo, but you could give away the flyers that use the photo. With things like themes, the website is the end product. You can never distribute the theme itself. The same applies to code or plugins. You could use them in your website, but not in a theme for sale or one that’s given away for free. I hope that helps clear things up. :)

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+2 more
purethemes says

Because this has come up a few times, I’ve added this to the original post: I’ve noticed a lot of people being confused between the “item” and “end product”. The item is what’s sold here on the Envato marketplaces. The end product is what you build with that item. To be clear, you can never distribute the item itself, just the end product. For example, you can’t distribute the photo, but you could give away the flyers that use the photo. With things like themes, the website is the end product. You can never distribute the theme itself. The same applies to code or plugins. You could use them in your website, but not in a theme for sale or one that’s given away for free. I hope that helps clear things up. :)

Sooo that prohibits using any item from CodeCanyon in theme for ThemeForest – even if I’ll write to ThemePunch and say – “Hi, I’d like to use your Revolution slider in my theme, I’m going to pay you XXX $” and he will agree, this will still break the rule of distributing source files. So in conslusion not a single theme with CC slider or other script bought from this day can be approved for ThemeForest.

2957 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Because this has come up a few times, I’ve added this to the original post: I’ve noticed a lot of people being confused between the “item” and “end product”. The item is what’s sold here on the Envato marketplaces. The end product is what you build with that item. To be clear, you can never distribute the item itself, just the end product. For example, you can’t distribute the photo, but you could give away the flyers that use the photo. With things like themes, the website is the end product. You can never distribute the theme itself. The same applies to code or plugins. You could use them in your website, but not in a theme for sale or one that’s given away for free. I hope that helps clear things up. :)

:) great

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+2 more
purethemes says

EDIT: There were 3 posts before this one (one by Ivor ) and they are deleted now, I guess some glitch in forum, but mine does now make less sense ;)

But I’m asking about this specific case where script/plugin has to be distributed with source in theme, otherwise how could it be used?

And if the private agreement will be used between authors this could led to 1) Envato loosing money which could gain from “use-in-stock” license, 2) abusing of this agreements

Time for coffee, I’ve got a headache from this thread :D

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Sooo that prohibits using any item from CodeCanyon in theme for ThemeForest – even if I’ll write to ThemePunch and say – “Hi, I’d like to use your Revolution slider in my theme, I’m going to pay you XXX $” and he will agree, this will still break the rule of distributing source files. So in conslusion not a single theme with CC slider or other script bought from this day can be approved for ThemeForest.

Our licenses don’t allow that. Meaning, you can’t purchase OUR licenses and use them that way. If you make a special deal with the author, that’s fine.

by
by
by
by
by
by