584 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I hope it’s a start some real theme authors develop their own stuff

Funny because in your latest theme you are using prettyphoto, flexslider, vegas, why didn’t you code these yourself? Are you not a real author? :P

It’s the same for everyone, we buy/use ready code because it’s convenient, saves time, and there is no point reinventing the wheel :-)

Well i must say i agree with you. Your absolutely right..

But for some reason i don’t like the fact authors promoting their themes with lots of slogans saying it includes slider this with a value of 25 bucks, and manager that with a value of 40 bucks, and this for 15 bucks, all with this incredible theme for only 40 or 50 bucks.

So your right, i should have said it in another way while i’m also including other things.

It was just that promothing thing that bugged me, but like you said, no need to reinvent the wheel is kind of right now i’m thinking about it :)

157 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+6 more
Crusader12 Reviewer says

A lot of CodeCanyon plugins are purchased from ThemeForest authors – with intentions of including them in their templates/themes for sale.

However, it is my understanding that this still can be accomplished under the Extended License (with permission from the CodeCanyon author). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong – as there will be a few things I’ll need to adjust.

Purchasing stock items and including them into a larger body of work for sale on a marketplace is a win-win situation for everyone. Authors from all marketplaces benefit from non-designers, non-coders, non-musicians, etc. purchasing Envato items to bundle into a larger item.

I’m preparing to release a new plugin that I’ve invested nearly $500 in Extended License items from Graphic River. Fortunately all assets were acquired prior to this license shift, so I’ll still be able to include them – but all it will do is add buyer value. I think cross-marketplace purchases such as these not only enrich marketplace items (since no one is a master of all fields) but actually promotes sales throughout all of the marketplaces.

Just think about all of the full-time authors that purchase items for 1 reason – to include those items in theirs. This should be absolutely acceptable – with provided author permission of course.

Again, someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

2075 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
LanceSnider says

However, it is my understanding that this still can be accomplished under the Extended License (with permission from the CodeCanyon author). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong – as there will be a few things I’ll need to adjust.

Please read this post: http://notes.envato.com/general/marketplace-license-updates-part-2/

19 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
prezzz says

Let’s take one real-life example from CodeCanyon, the well known Revolution Slider. Its authors write the following on the bottom of the page:

http://codecanyon.net/item/slider-revolution-responsive-wordpress-plugin/2751380

If you want to use the RevSlider in your Theme here on ThemeForest too please purchase 1 extended license for each theme (as long as there is no Developer License available) you put on the marketplace!

Does it constitute ‘making an arrangement’ with an author? Will a WordPress theme with such slider included be accepted during the approval process? The intentions of all sides here are clear.

19 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
prezzz says

Additionally, if I have an item that I have purchased on CodeCanyon along with Extended License prior to those changes, can I include it in newly submitted ThemeForest item without the risk of it being rejected on this basis?

no-thumbnail
ilikechocolatemilk Recent Posts
Threads Started
10 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
ilikechocolatemilk says

Oh come on guys…. After reading through this thread all I can say is Envato is really muddling things up.

All this “ask authors for permission” crap will only lead to confusion and problems. Theme forest authors wanting to use CC plugins is a VERY specific usage, simply give CC authors an option box that says “If you purchase an extended license – I grant you permission to include this plugin with themes that are sold exclusively on TF.” which then shows up underneath the extended licence option. It should be crystal clear for everyone to see what a TF author can and can’t do with CC plugins.

When it comes to the law and money, the idea of “private emails” seeking permission is down right silly and will lead to infinite amounts of serious issues.

P.s As prezzz pointed out, slider revolution includes a disclaimer at the end granting permission for TF authors to use the plugin in their themes. Why would a CC author need to put this in the item description? It should be standard checkbox under the extended license option (as stated above)

no-thumbnail
Knights-Templates Recent Posts
Threads Started
2 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Knights-Templates says

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been suggested or considered, but with regards to offering different sliders, what about offering certain sliders with the theme at a bundle price.

When the buyer is buying your theme, on the same page they select which slider to include.

So say the theme is one price $40 (author gets the commission) and if the buyer chooses the Revolution Slider or whichever slider, the price goes up $10 or $15 dollars (credited to slider author)

Envato sort out the commissions and everyone is happy.

I should think that the author of the slider would allow you to demonstrate the slider on your theme for free, because the sales count for them too.

116 posts YeahThemes
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
Manh says

Actually, i think the meaning of “end product” depends on user’s purpose of usage. For instance, i’m an author in TF, and want to use CC’s item in my theme, then sell to buyers. so in this case, theme is the “end product” not website.

Just what i thought .

94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pixedelic says

Honestly, still don’t understand whether and how it is possible to use a CodeCanyon plugin in a ThemeForest WP theme… do I need to contact the author? Please, make a thread with some clear examples. I read this http://notes.envato.com/general/marketplace-license-updates-part-2/ but it seems to ask for feedbacks only…

4616 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

Honestly, still don’t understand whether and how it is possible to use a CodeCanyon plugin in a ThemeForest WP theme… do I need to contact the author? Please, make a thread with some clear examples. I read this http://notes.envato.com/general/marketplace-license-updates-part-2/ but it seems to ask for feedbacks only…

Please see this page – http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq

You’ll find details under the Author licensing FAQ section at the bottom. Thanks.

by
by
by
by
by
by