332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

How to take a separate permission from an author ? via email ? Imagine, I got a separate permission from a author via email. after submit theme on themeforest, just dream, Author said using my item without permission… and ops i had lose email… how i can explain this status to envato ? actual license is saying, do not use CC/or any item without permission. can i banned for this ? Envato will believe it to whom?

said as everybody “In Stock” license asap :)

How it’s possible to ‘ops, I had lose email’? It’s not that it’s material thing written on paper – that can’t be stolen, torn into pieces, lost, etc. Just open your eyes while managing your inbox, and don’t just randomly delete (+ empty your recycle bin) any emails.

305 posts Codestar
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
Codestar says

Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

How to take a separate permission from an author ? via email ? Imagine, I got a separate permission from a author via email. after submit theme on themeforest, just dream, Author said using my item without permission… and ops i had lose email… how i can explain this status to envato ? actual license is saying, do not use CC/or any item without permission. can i banned for this ? Envato will believe it to whom?

said as everybody “In Stock” license asap :)
How it’s possible to ‘ops, I had lose email’? It’s not that it’s material thing written on paper – that can’t be stolen, torn into pieces, lost, etc. Just open your eyes while managing your inbox, and don’t just randomly delete (+ empty your recycle bin) any emails.

is it impossible ? we are talking about possibilities… your answer is this ? “open your eyes!” Now imagine mail-server or computer can be down ? there is not problem eyes or computer backup. said as wiseguys : “that’s the only problem with doing agreements offsite, everything should be done onsite”

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

Codestar example is an extremist case to expose the huge and serious issues we can have in short term.

Somehow is funny (and surrealist) that Envato decides to leave such a important thing as stock licensing inside the marketplaces to private agreements between authors. Much more if we think about the BIG issues that have happened recently with authors copyright infringements, and the position Envato declaring about external DMCAs to solve them.

Sorry Envato (Collis?) but can’t just was your hands with such core stuff leaving it outside the platform legal framework.

5967 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

@Codestar, We need to look at the “an author can give a separate permission to another author” thing in an external way. Getting this permission doesn’t mean Envato (3rd party) will be interested in going through proof of permission in a dispute scenario. Just like any other asset usage, the author who uploads takes the responsibility of protecting self in any situation.

9 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Welego says

Everything is possible guys. Let me give you an example;

About 3 weeks ago my HDD crashed and I got lazy so I didn’t take backup for 3 months and I’ve lost every single thing I did for last 3 months.

I use Outlook / Thunderbird and I set them to delete the e-mails from my server once I download them to my computer. Why? I hate mess.

You can imagine what happened. I lost all e-mails for last 3 months, they are not on my server and I don’t have any backup. Nothing is impossible. Keeping things on paper is just more secure than keeping it on computer for such cases.

If you say you taking a backup is not an issue, what happens if you get robbed? These kind of scenarios you just shouldn’t roll out.

Obviously these are extreme cases but you know what they say; things happen (kind version).

As many of you agrees, Envato should keep everything on site instead of private agreement between authors.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Speaking as an author, not an Envato dude.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I’m on board with the “external author agreement” thing for the time being. I’ve already contacted the plugin authors that I want to do business with and everything seems to work fine. It’s a simple gentleman’s agreement.

The Caveat: This is much more an “honor system” than it was before… which makes it feel a bit like the wild west licensing all over again. I can envision miscommunications, DMCA takedown notices being filed inappropriately, and all sorts of other snafus; but for time being this is a decent stop gap.

The licenses changes make things much much clearer in terms of what they DO cover… that’s good! It’s the fact that they are explicitly saying that we’re on our own with the item/end-product issue that makes me uneasy.

The long term repercussions of this really seems to put the brunt of the pressure on plugin authors if you ask me – they are now responsible for granting permission and policing their “partnership” agreements… which for some plugins like RevolutionSlider and LayerSlider could mean tracking hundreds of TF authors releasing several products per month to make sure everyone is abiding by the informal rules. That’s gotta make them take a step back and wonder why they don’t have the option to sell a specific license that’s intended specifically written for the CC/TF item/end-product scenario. Read: a special license that Envato has an invested interest in policing themselves during the theme review process.

Still, I’m going to develop the next couple of my themes with CC plugins included under partnership agreements, and hopefully everything will go smoothly. I’m honestly just dipping my own toes in the water myself… I used to exclusively use open-source scripts and plugins in my themes to keep things simple… but it seems more and more like there’s a value to including some of the incredible new plugins that the CC authors are creating. It’s unfortunate that using their products isn’t clear cut… it’s unfortunate that I feel the need to contact my lawyer and read dozens of pages of forum posts to make sure that I’m not stepping over any legal lines here. That’s part of the game though I suppose, so I’m rolling with it.

I’d give a special shout out to Collis for being incredibly open about talking through all of this with us. I know these are sticky topics. I know there are bigger issues at hand. The fact that we get to have an open dialogue is still one of the things that I love about being a part of this community.

What I’d Really Like: A clear-cut “Developer License” where I can buy a license to use an Envato product (plugin, graphic, script, etc.) in a ThemeForest item that I’m developing. No grey areas, no need to contact authors that may or may not fully understand the licensing details themselves, and no confusion. One dev license = one TF product. Simple.

I suspect (and I’ll put on my tin foil hat here) that this is somehow related to the larger GPL / WP issue though… Themes make up a large portion of the sales here. WPFoundation desires that our themes be fully GPL, not split license. Envato’s consistently stuck up for the authors here… sometimes at great risk to themselves. All controversy aside, it’s a major sticking point between Envato and the core WP community. That’s a hairy topic and I’m not going to weigh in on it as I have varying opinions, but I know one thing: Envato can’t even entertain the idea of offering the full GPL route to authors while they have licensed plugins being included in GPL themes. So, I suspect this entire omission of the “item/end-product” might lead back to that issue in that they need to clarify the site-wide licensing agreements in order to make way for other platform-specific licensing changes down the line… Whether that’s the real agenda here or not, the result is that this opens the door to considering changes and variations on that split license that’s the source of so much grief. I’ll be clear. I could be entirely wrong about this assumption. I’m not a lawyer and I have no legal expertise on how that whole issue will play out… so take it with a grain of salt. I trust that Collis and the rest of the Envato management ultimately have our interests (that is, the authors and buyers here) at heart… so it really doesn’t matter to me so long as I know that they are still committed to making this the best creative marketplace on the web.

324 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
NikolaSusa says

Stupid question #22:
If we make a deal with plugin author,
can we include the value of that plugin in the item description?

14 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CodeHunk says

I just don’t understand how much time it will take for a company like Envato to incorporate an option for only a CodeCanyon Author to allow their Plugin to be used only in a ThemeForest Item sold exclusively on Envato, without a Price Increase(as this is going to hurt a lot of regular authors).

1. Just a “CheckBox” in the Settings Area is needed.

2. Saves times for both the Authors.

3. Sales don’t get affected for the CodeCanyon Authors.

4. Themeforest Authors do not need to get permission every time they create a WP Theme/Site Template.

5. Everyone’s HAPPY.!!!!!!!!!

Please Envato, Listen to Us..! :)

380 posts
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
GoodLayers says

oh, such a super long thread :)

I have one little question. Can we put the plugin file(purchased by extended license) in our item if we got the permission by plugin author?

sorry if it’s has been answered already but I couldn’t find it :/

9 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Welego says

oh, such a super long thread :)

I have one little question. Can we put the plugin file(purchased by extended license) in our item if we got the permission by plugin author?

sorry if it’s has been answered already but I couldn’t find it :/

Regarding to the rules you can’t. Actually you have to make it sure that plugin in question can not be separated from your work to used in another work.

by
by
by
by
by
by