58 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
maarcin says

I wouldn’t worry that much guys. If you can make agreements with CC authors then there is no problem. Let’s be real, they want to have sales as much as we (TF authors) want to have their sliders in our themes. I belive there won’t be any problems with get along with them in that matter. And since Collis said “In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think?” we don’t have to worry at all. And I think that this is a good solution (probably the best right now without developer/stock license).

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says
Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

+1 :-)

689 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
cooledition says

And since Collis said “In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think?” we don’t have to worry at all. And I think that this is a good solution.

Some authors in Graphicriver never reply emails, trust me, i have tried to ask permission for some items in the past. Envato just make things slower for authors. I dont have 2 days or 1 week or more to get a response from another author. Everyday i like less Envato…

631 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Well, i see NEW themes approved TODAY, with premium plugins INSIDE the theme package. It’s not metioned in the item details, but it’s on the preview site itself…

So guess it’s clear then: YOU MAY INCLUDE PREMIUM PLUGINS INSIDE YOU THEMES.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Well, i see NEW themes approved TODAY, with premium plugins INSIDE the theme package. It’s not metioned in the item details, but it’s on the preview site itself… So guess it’s clear then: YOU MAY INCLUDE PREMIUM PLUGINS INSIDE YOU THEMES.

As Lance mentioned, if you purchased a plugin with the old license (meaning, the Extended License is dated before the new license terms went into effect), that license still applies:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-license-discussion-authors-using-items-in-their-themes/85239?page=1#message_content_717991
631 posts
ChapterThemes says

Well, i see NEW themes approved TODAY, with premium plugins INSIDE the theme package. It’s not metioned in the item details, but it’s on the preview site itself… So guess it’s clear then: YOU MAY INCLUDE PREMIUM PLUGINS INSIDE YOU THEMES.

As Lance mentioned, if you purchased a plugin with the old license (meaning, the Extended License is dated before the new license terms went into effect), that license still applies:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-license-discussion-authors-using-items-in-their-themes/85239?page=1#message_content_717991

Ok, so the same authors can’t use that licence in their next item? Still, it’s too bad for authors who where planning to include something.

I think including premium plugins in themes must be banned completely. Keep it okay for theme authors to include it in a preview, but to make use of it the theme buyer should also purchase the plugin.

It just couldn’t be more easy..

Anyway thanks for the clearification!

832 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

It took me a while to read this thread + all the notes on the blog. And here’s what I come up with. I’ll be speaking from an author point of view, who has CC item that is included with 3rd party themes for sale on ThemeForest.

Using CC items in TF themes is a must and definitely it shouldn’t be covered with an “Extended license” as it was before (pricing model for CC authors was terrible in my opinion). So please, work out that “In Stock” license asap. And more… I really think that “In Stock” license should reward “original” authors a bit more. The best scenario would be a small % share from sales of the item with built in CC items in them. Of course that should be fully automated process.

Michael M

631 posts
ChapterThemes says

It took me a while to read this thread + all the notes on the blog. And here’s what I come up with. I’ll be speaking from an author point of view, who has CC item that is included with 3rd party themes for sale on ThemeForest.

Using CC items in TF themes is a must and definitely it shouldn’t be covered with an “Extended license” as it was before (pricing model for CC authors was terrible in my opinion). So please, work out that “In Stock” license asap. And more… I really think that “In Stock” license should reward “original” authors a bit more. The best scenario would be a small % share from sales of the item with built in CC items in them. Of course that should be fully automated process.

Michael M

No, CC items should be banned from theme items. Get real clean theme’s with their own developed options inside. And let a theme author suggest to use a CC item, and let the theme buyer purchase the CC item IF he want to use it.

316 posts Codestar
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
Codestar says
Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

How to take a separate permission from an author ? via email ? Imagine, I got a separate permission from a author via email. after submit theme on themeforest, just dream, Author said using my item without permission… and ops i had lose email… how i can explain this status to envato ? actual license is saying, do not use CC/or any item without permission. can i banned for this ? Envato will believe it to whom?

said as everybody “In Stock” license asap :)

173 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
wiseguys says

How to take a separate permission from an author ? via email ? Imagine, I got a separate permission from a author via email. after submit theme on themeforest, just dream, Author said using my item without permission… and ops i had lose email… how i can explain this status to envato ? actual license is saying, do not use CC/or any item without permission. can i banned for this ? Envato will believe it to whom?

said as everybody “In Stock” license asap :)

+1 that’s the only problem with doing agreements offsite, everything should be done onsite. If adding a “in-stock” license is an issue because it may confuse buyers, then maybe have in-stock license only visible to authors?

by
by
by
by
by
by