5348 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

You can twist it, bend it, and change it any way you want until it satisfies your conscience. But let’s call a spade a spade, you’re still breaking the exclusivity agreement.
I dont want to break it and I never did. I am just saying that it is possible to justify banding the rules. I hope that envato will resolve this very quickly.

You’ve just reinforced my point :P

2191 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

You can twist it, bend it, and change it any way you want until it satisfies your conscience. But let’s call a spade a spade, you’re still breaking the exclusivity agreement.
I dont want to break it and I never did. I am just saying that it is possible to justify banding the rules. I hope that envato will resolve this very quickly.
You’ve just reinforced my point :P

I know :)

90 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
djwd says

OMG this is crazy… we have been building a wordpress boilerplate that is strictly based on one of the CC plugins and we have bought an extended license for this plugin but we will be able to use this only for one theme?! This is madnes… two months of work thrown away… Thank You!
Actually that has always been like that, it’s not what we’re discussing here.

Yeah but then I could buy another extended license and use it for one more product and now I don’t, I know what I am talking about… this has to be fixed ;/

For each useage of our boilerplate we were planning to buy extended license of the base plugin…

well this is not exactly what shows through your original post (that now disappeared), anyway yes, that’s it. ;)

@CodingJack
I totally agree, but when we were told by the Envato staff and Collis himself to do so, are we still breaking the rules?

+9 more
CodingJack says

@CodingJack
I totally agree, but when we were told by the Envato staff and Collis himself to do so, are we still breaking the rules?

Good question. This FAQ probably needs to be tweaked:

Can I allow another author to use my item within their stock item? Or can I ask another author if I can use their element within my larger project?

Yes. Please feel free to make your arrangements with each other directly. We won’t be involved in those arrangements so use common sense in who you deal with and how. If your items are exclusive, remember you can’t distribute them on other marketplaces you are bound by that agreement.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

To sell our work on Envato mps as exclusive authors doesn’t mean we lose copyright on our own code. To sell the same item elsewhere or give it for free would breach the agreement, to license resale/redistribute rights, as in our js/css/gfxs included in a different product, wouldn’t.

I can code a slider and sell it exclusively on Envato as well as making private agreement with whoever i want to include my code in a template sold here or elsewhere.

I can even create a template or a wp theme using that slider and give it for free on my own site. None of the above would breach the terms of the exclusive author agreement.

2191 posts
+14 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

To sell our work on Envato mps as exclusive authors doesn’t mean we lose copyright on our own code. To sell the same item elsewhere or give it for free would breach the agreement, to license resale/redistribute rights, as in our js/css/gfxs included in a different product, wouldn’t.

I can code a slider and sell it exclusively on Envato as well as making private agreement with whoever i want to include my code in a template sold here or elsewhere.

I can even create a template or a wp theme using that slider and give it for free on my own site. None of the above would breach the terms of the exclusive author agreement.

So you are saying that we can make agreements with other authors, and this doesn’t break the exclusivity privileges?

+9 more
CodingJack says

To sell the same item elsewhere or give it for free would breach the agreement, to license resale/redistribute rights, as in our js/css/gfxs included in a different product, wouldn’t.

Let’s say on my personal site I don’t “sell” the same items. Instead I offer “special agreements” that say “I can license you the item as long as you use it in another project”. I think we’re splitting hairs.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+9 more
bitfade says

Let’s say on my personal site I don’t “sell” the same items. Instead I offer “special agreements” that say “I can license you the item as long as you use it in another project”. I think we’re splitting hairs.
No, we’re not. You may even sell your code as a standalone item here but that doesn’t transfer the property to Envato.

If that wasn’t true then, since you sell a lightbox on CC as exclusive author, then you couldn’t use the same code in a wp plugin or a theme for sale on TF, not even by buying an extended license from yourself because now it doesn’t allow stock usage.

3748 posts
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

\\

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi guys,

Someone will be along to clarify the questions raised shortly. However, I feel like the conversation here is becoming less constructive and dominated by a few people, rather than giving everyone the opportunity to ask a variety of questions.

For this reason we have decided to split the thread in two.

We’ll keep all discussion about using other items in your themes/stock here. We have noted your opinions and suggestions and would appreciate it if we could keep the conversation on track.

If you would like to ask any questions about other aspects of the new licences, you can head here.

by
by
by
by
by
by