32 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
dyspersion says

I do understand that a few of the ThemeForest authors are going to have to come up with other solutions when it comes to using other peoples’ items in stock. ... I know that not everyone agrees with that decision, but we had to figure out a balance between simplifying the license, protecting the authors, and providing solutions for theme authors.
I think it goes deeper than just simply not agreeing with it. As I understand the new terms, it seems you’ve just completely wiped out a major use-case scenario by removing the extended licenses. IMHO, extended licenses aren’t very relevant on a site like ThemeForest that sells “finished” products, but they’re essential to me on a site like CodeCanyon that sells bits and pieces to be used in a derivative work intended for sale.

To put it another way – as a potential CodeCanyon author, I wouldn’t want to have to setup my own site just to sell extended licenses (notwithstanding questions about exclusive author status) or deal with the nightmare that is managing tons of so-called “partnerships” and agreements with other developers. This change – removing the extended license – makes things infinitely more complex for authors and removes the value proposition that CC offered, defeating the whole purpose of using CC in the first place.

I could be wrong but, respectfully, it doesn’t seem like Envato has thought this through very well. I’m certainly not getting a sense that there’s an appropriate appreciation for how deep the repercussions are for authors. This essentially negates CC’s entire reason for being. I’m completely mystified by that.

I guess aside from voicing my opinion, my only question is … when can we expect to see this “next phase” with a Developer’s License that will hopefully rectify this? Like, maybe next week? :P

135 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

I understand that since now we’re not allowed to use any items from Envato marketplaces in any stock items.

My question is, what happens to themes that already include plugins from Codecanyon?

Sorry but I didn’t find any answer to this question yet. Thanks.

307 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
NikolaSusa says

I understand that since now we’re not allowed to use any items from Envato marketplaces in any stock items.

My question is, what happens to themes that already include plugins from Codecanyon?

Sorry but I didn’t find any answer to this question yet. Thanks.

1st page, 5th post.

Keep in mind that this is just for items purchased moving forward. If you purchased a plugin with the old license, that license still applies.
3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Envato, you have 9 marketplaces selling pretty different things, even all digital. Why don’t you think on each marketplace independently when thinking about licenses? Not only for applicable terms, but also to give us authors the option to manage the licenses with the same independency.

Even for help/information, trying to explain the rules of the same license using different marketplaces examples makes non sense. It has never helped in the past the doubts of buyers. Why don’t you just write precise examples for each marketplace? On this page there are not even an example with TF or CC items!! http://themeforest.net/licenses/extended

27 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
whoathemes says

Hi,

I quite don’t understand and I would like somebody from staff to clear the things. I see that if we bought something with the old extended license, we can still use that item in our end item. Yesterday I bought a slider plugin with extended license I think with few hours before this changes. But till I finish my theme there will be some time, probably 3 weeks… I understand that I can use the old license. But if I buy another plugin with extended license from now on, then my buyers should buy the regular license for that product also?... An what happens with those popular themes which have 2 or more such kind of plugins? Probably they will have much more sales than now, right?... I mean there are no equal chances between the old and the new items which have these plugins integrated.

That is not fair! The same thing should happen for anybody, and for all themes with these kind of plugins already included, and their buyers should buy also a regular license. This thing should not happen only for authors who will integrate the plugins from now on.

There won’t be any arrangement between the two authors… So please guys, be more precise.

Regards

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

oh boy, oh boy.. You’ve unleashed Pandora’s box .. all over again :D

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Turkey
Greysound says

Envato, you have 9 marketplaces selling pretty different things, even all digital. Why don’t you think on each marketplace independently when thinking about licenses?

I can’t agree more. When I saw the announcement, I got excited. But as far as I can see this is just another of those Envato announcements, where no useful improvement happens, but it is explained with so much words as if it will bring so much on the table. The truth is, it won’t. At least, we authors won’t be the ones who benefit from it as long as you keep insisting these kind of issues to be solved as a whole. Please treat all the marketplaces individually in this “ongoing licence project”.

582 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
LCweb says

I’m happy that license matter has been revamped and the Envato team put its hands on it. News and clarifications are always welcome.

But I’m the only one who cares more about the price of these licenses?
I mean, I sell thousands of items and it’s impossible to know where they are used. I’m sure some users have bought my plugins “standard license” and use them on many websites.

Considering this I prefer to have a certain return from my sales.
I hope this has been considered during the revamp operations. (and BTW extended license on CC si still too cheap)

9 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
awgeorge says

Unfortunately I do not think that people understand that they need to keep purchasing a licence for multiple projects. And that if they bought a regular license they would probably sell it anyway as rightly said above “they can get away with it”.

How do we as Authors insure that the licences are up help? Do we have to scourer the internet for our items and threaten legal action? Or is it something that we will inevitably have to let slide, in the hope people have a conscience.

William

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. For those asking if a previously purchased Extended License can still be used in your marketplace file, please see Lance’s response on page 1 here:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-marketplace-license-discussion/85239#message_content_717991

For any other unanswered questions, the appropriate staff will respond in a few hours. In the mean time, please be sure that you read through the original post and the thread.

by
by
by
by
by
by