512 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Just want to chime in as an AudioJungle author. The ratings make no sense for us. The buyer can always hear exactly what he’s going to buy. Sometimes we still get a low rating. Why would anyone buy something they don’t like and then rate it low? I don’t see the benefit of a rating system for AudioJungle since you can always check the product in full before buying.

That’s definitely something we’ve talked about for the “what you see/hear is what you get” categories. The data we’re collecting on the primary reason for the rating will help us understand these surprising ratings and come up with some solutions.

512 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Envato admits old ratings should be dropped. So be it. But they should do everything together.

To be clear, that is a community request that we’re looking into with a statistician :)

“Do everything together” is a recipe for projects that never ship, and the exact opposite of what we’re trying to do at the moment.

I’ve read your posts in this thread, and I think I understand your frustrations, but in general, the reactions of most in this thread supports the idea that if we can ship some of this stuff sooner, all the better.

And breaking down is a lazy solution. Ask non 5 stars buyers to explain themselves. They must give reasons, any reason. If all your 1 star ratings have explanations like “I bought this Google Map plugin, but I thought I could use it as calendar too. The author wouldn’t make this for me. I’m very disappointed.”, then there’s no harm. And with time that rating will disappear. And let authors rate buyers too. That would be fair.

You’re right that this a problem, but it’s not really an issue with the breakdown (which simply provides transparency). We believe it’s an issue of relevancy. A 1-star rating where the buyer had unrealistic expectations like you describe is an irrelevant rating. Ideally, it should probably be removed or otherwise ignored.

We all suspect or hypothesise that a lot of 1-star ratings are irrelevant, but we want to find out for sure. This is why we’re collecting data on the primary reason for the rating. It’s the fastest way to get the data we need to plan our next step.

106 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

We all suspect or hypothesise that a lot of 1-star ratings are irrelevant, but we want to find out for sure. This is why we’re collecting data on the primary reason for the rating. It’s the fastest way to get the data we need to plan our next step.

One usefull measure of this kind of ratings, is how soon after purchase the rating is given. For example, if someone bought a template and 2 hours later slaps it with a 1 star rating, you can be sure they haven’t even read the items documentation yet. Or they are angry because they thought a HTML template was a wordpress theme, and get the famous “style.css” could not be found error.

199 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
footagecentral says

Thats so cool!!!!! Can’t wait to see the effect it has!!!! – From Footage Central

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

I’m absolutely happy to read this, I put here a Picasso smile
\(:D)/

446 posts here for love
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
nCrafts says

Breakdown and better averaging will increase transparency, but if the buyers are not compulsorily required to give their comments in case of 1 / 2 / 3 star ratings, then this new system will simply result in better reporting, without really adding any value.

941 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+3 more
graphicmind says

YES! Looks like Envato does take community suggestions/feedback seriously after all

442 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+5 more
ZozoUI says

Wow that is great news, keep it up. When can we expect to see it ?

thanks

220 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

“Do everything together” is a recipe for projects that never ship, and the exact opposite of what we’re trying to do at the moment.

Thanks for your answer :)

I think it’s a shame that you have decided to start changing things in a way that punishes 5 star ratings, which aren’t easy to attain, at all. If it’s a matter of doing things by parts (for whatever reason), why don’t you start trying to minimize the impact? Why don’t you get the statistician first, and drop old ratings? Or just search for rating algorithms on Google, there quite a few, and they are great.

About the 1-star rating, it applies to 4-stars ratings, and any other rating too. If you’re making the breakdown, then people must say why the rating isn’t 5 stars, why they aren’t 100% happy with the item.

I guess the idea of the breakdown is to show client satisfaction/item working as advertised, so lets be fair and show that, not just client capricious mood.

Thanks, Fred

904 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
JohnRosso says

That’s amazing! I like it so much! Thanks, Envato!

by
by
by
by
by
by