689 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
cooledition says

Great news, but why not make the review public?

Point of this was to show to other interested customers what these 1-star ratings are about, so that they can ignore that rating if it is for a stupid reason.

If that is not available to buyers and I can see that it is a ridiculous reason, it makes the whole thing even more frustrating. Now people can even write me some hate-mails (“heya look here, 1 star for you hahaha”) while rating me down, nobody else will know and can only guess. So do we have a report-function to remove bad ratings in case they are nonsense?

+1 I think the same

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

Making the review public is not a good idea.

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Great, thanks!

@Authors requesting public review: It is important to “know” the exact reason why a buyer rates poor. Knowing this will help us to understand whether our item is really having deficiencies or the buyers expects beyond the scope of item. Making it public will be a suicide since we gather data only for negative ratings.

2283 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

While I am happy that ‘something’ is happening with the ratings, I to have to question why the reviews will not be public and can’t be answered to?

Doing it like this just means buyers see exactly the same thing they always have (just star ratings with nothing backing them up), which in turn doesn’t help at all.

1 star ratings come from unscrupulous authors rating your product down most of the time and it’s been said so many times, these changes don’t go anywhere towards stopping this happen.

Example:

1 star

Review “ha!”

done.

If we could answer, we could state something in reply… you know, to be able to set the record straight.

Example:

1 star

Review: “useless, wouldn’t install kept telling me style sheets are broken and there’s NO INSTRUCTIONS AND NO SUPPORT!”

Reply ” Greetings, we supply a full 60 page, PDF documentation help file that walks you through the setup, step-by-step. This would be available by going to your downloads and making sure you get the full files and documentation not just the installable WordPress files. We also offer a support center and the link is in the documentation help PDF file, along with a link on the item description, the support tab and also my profile page. I look forward to helping you out so you can see how awesome our product really is!”

- See the difference here, people can read, see what was written, see a reply and we can convert upset people in to happy people and prospective buyers in to actual buyers.

Maybe Envato need some more authors actually on staff who deal with these issues on a daily basis? Start a focus group of trusted authors for feedback to ideas?

Again I commend the efforts, I really do as this has been an issue for years and years – but why do we always have to half do things all the time…

Jonathan

EDIT: As a note, so what can we do if we get a 1 star review and a message that is offensive? Can we report it and get the rating removed? What if it’s just a letter, number or period for the comment – again can we get the rating removed?

6029 posts
+8 more
VF says

As a note, so what can we do if we get a 1 star review and a message that is offensive? Can we report it and get the rating removed? What if it’s just a letter, number or period for the comment – again can we get the rating removed?

Busy authors will take it as a benefit and ignore the rating itself from mind. This helps gauging our own item correctly. That’s the major outcome of this improvement.

2283 posts Bird is the word..
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Busy authors will take it as a benefit and ignore the rating itself from mind. This helps gauging our own item correctly. That’s the major outcome of this improvement.

There’s never a point to having a one-way conversation, no one learns a thing :)

1797 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

I’m amazed by the number of members requesting support within 1-2 hours and if they don’t receive a reply, they are changing the theme and rating 1. Happened to me before and I see more and more tickets “my client is wondering”, “my client wants”, “URGENT! MY CLIENT BLA BLA”.

Guys, it’s your client, I guess you are web developers, do you really change the theme if you don’t get a reply on how to change the logo within 1 hr?

Btw, my latest Aruna theme has 17 5 stars and, guess… 1 one star. Obviously. Not because of the theme itself, but because he GUESSED the theme didn’t do one thing he wanted. After he PUBLICLY SAID he gave 1 to the theme, I tried to go over my level of support and try to help him, since he was the only one with problems. Guess what? He changed the theme. And said the theme is crap again.

I’m getting really sick of this stuff, working hard and offering support 4 times a day or even more..for this..

6029 posts
+8 more
VF says

There’s never a point to having a one-way conversation, no one learns a thing :)

When it comes to unfairness, a conversation wont help – majority cases.

I can point one beneficial scenario: If an author currently dedicates lot of time on support to avoid poor ratings, now the author has chance to see whether still buyers complain about support. In case all the negative feedbacks are pointing support as a reason, I would happily stop supporting item. Hope this is understandable. :D

1603 posts Chris Robinson
+10 more
contempoinc says

Really also commend the efforts this is definitely another move in the right direction, however I have to agree 100% with Jonathan. They should be public and an author should be able to respond, otherwise what’s the point.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi guys, As Stew said, this is the first step on the road to resolving a specific problem, which was ‘giving authors more information about why buyers are giving their items low ratings’.

The decision to not make these ‘reviews’ public and to only have one way communication was carefully considered. We need to take the first step and learn from it, to make sure we can take the correct next step.

All of you have a different perspective on what else is needed to resolve this issue. Let’s give everyone an opportunity to see what the feature is like and learn from it before we start thinking about what’s next.

by
by
by
by
by
by